NEW Juiced Models: Rip Current, and Cross Current X; Tariff Pricing Announced

Asher

Fat_tire_Bike_line-RipCurrent_vs_Ripcurrent_S_2048x2048.jpg

2019_RipCurrent_vs._2018_Rad_Rover_chart_image_2048x2048.jpg

New budget Rip Current: https://www.juicedbikes.com/products/ripcurrent
New RCS: https://www.juicedbikes.com/products/ripcurrent-s

And they also seemed to have cribbed their comment on tarriffs from RadPower lol:

Juiced:

By manufacturing our bikes in China it allows us to achieve our goals of affordability and very high quality.

We continually analyze our manufacturing options it currently is not feasible to manufacture in the U.S. for the price, quantity, and quality to which our customers demand. And specifically, we don't have a way of knowing how the current trade war will resolve.

As we always do, we’ll continue to find the best ways of producing bikes that offers the highest quality at the lowest prices – no matter where it takes place.

https://www.juicedbikes.com/pages/e-bike-tariff-announcement

Radpower:
Attached

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/pages/rad-power-bikes-tariff-announcement

How does the RCS have higher peak wattage than the RC but the same nominal wattage? Different controller?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180816-163255_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20180816-163255_Chrome.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 509
They may be keeping their profit margin in absolute terms the same but the percent goes down.

Also it can make sense to eat some of the price increase if consumers are very price sensitive.

Tariffs could come back down before spring. China already agreeing to come to negotiating table. Thus probably not a good idea for these small players that are direct on line to raise their MSRP a full 25%. unless they want to kill off their own business quickly.

So thanks to the tariff, Juiced announced the Cross Current X early.

As far as I can tell, it's like a CCS, but:
* Motor is 750W, instead of 650W
* Marathon Plus 45mm tires come standard
* 52V 19.2ah Battery stock
* 25A controller vs 20A on previous (25A * 52V = 1,300W peak, versus 20A*48V = 960W peak)
(I don't see anything else, do you?)

https://www.juicedbikes.com/collections/e-bikes/products/crosscurrent-x

$2,399 now, $2,699 later.

Definitely a nice improvement with the motor, as well as the 52V battery coming stock. I would have liked to see an updated frame with higher tire clearance in the back, with Schwalbe G-One Speeds 2.35" on both tires - I'm guessing the frame is identical. This is a nice quick update though, perhaps we'll see a future update with a revised frame (with an 1100W option) in 2019. Putting the G-One in a 2.35"/2" front/rear combo would have been an interesting choice as well.

I just got a tiny puncture with my rear Marathon Plus, that sealant would have fixed immediately - so the Pluses are not bulletproof.

I hope @Tora Harris gets a chance to try out the G-One Speeds some time and convert like me :).

Last edited:
So thanks to the tariff, Juiced announced the Cross Current X early.

As far as I can tell, it's like a CCS, but:
* Motor is 750W, instead of 650W
* Marathon Plus 45mm tires come standard
* 52V 19.2ah Battery stock
* 25A controller vs 20A on previous (25A * 52V = 1,300W peak, versus 20A*48V = 960W peak)
(I don't see anything else, do you?)

https://www.juicedbikes.com/collections/e-bikes/products/crosscurrent-x

$2,399 now, $2,699 later.

Definitely a nice improvement with the motor, as well as the 52V battery coming stock. I would have liked to see an updated frame with higher tire clearance in the back, with Schwalbe G-One Speeds 2.35" on both tires - I'm guessing the frame is identical. This is a nice quick update though, perhaps we'll see a future update with a revised frame (with an 1100W option) in 2019. Putting the G-One in a 2.35"/2" front/rear combo would have been an interesting choice as well.

I just got a tiny puncture with my rear Marathon Plus, that sealant would have fixed immediately - so the Pluses are not bulletproof.

I hope @Tora Harris gets a chance to try out the G-One Speeds some time and convert like me :).

I hope that eventually they will sell that controller separately. So we can all take advantage of the higher output. Even our "old" CCS.

I hope that eventually they will sell that controller separately. So we can all take advantage of the higher output. Even our "old" CCS.

Where on the bike is the controller housed? The motor, the battery, or somewhere else?

The controller is inside the downtube. It's very easy to get to and remove if needed.

Ah good to know. Sounds like the upgrades could be replicated easily on existing CCS once your motor and battery need replacement. (Maybe a MAC motor could go in too on existing hardware?)

Maybe it's a little off topic, but is Hyper Fat controller compatible to CCS?
Based on all of the issues that owners of the Hyperfat had with their controllers and the 'cogging' issue, I would be quite leery of hoping to adapt the HF controller to the CCS. That MAC motor is a beast ! I'm very curious how it compares to the Bafang, but rest assured it doesn't have to take a back seat to the Bafang when it comes to performance.

Here, the Canadian distributor of Juiced shows where the controller is located and how to switch them around.
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
So is the "650W" and "750W" motor on the CCS and CCX the same, and it's just a different controller?

Also, your link mentions higher power draw that requires bigger batteries. Is the higher amp controller less efficient? Ie given the same motor speed, will it use more watt hours per mile?

That site shows how to convert 6FET (CrossCurrent & CrossCurrent Air) controller to 9FET (CrossCurrent S & CrossCurrent Air 1.1) controller.
The CrossCurrent came with 350W motor/controller, and CrossCurrent S came with 650 motor/controller.
So, that site is NOT showing CCS(650W) to CCX(750W) converstion. But I do have a feeling that motor itself will pretty much be the same thing (I didn't ask Juiced about this or anything, I could be completely wrong).

According to that website, the motor itself is very similar(CC to CCS) and be able to handle the increased power just fine.

I am not sure about the increased draw on batteries... maybe ask Juiced about it?

The model numbers on both my CC and CCS are the same. looking up that model number reveals different types of answers. As low as 250W in some cases.
IMG_20180812_185717831.jpg
IMG_20180812_185822400.jpg

Thanks for those pictures. I guess they're pretty much identical motor, just different controller.

Also what are those green brake pads? SwissStop?
I wanted to get a SwissStop pads too, and just looking for a feedback.. because they're a lot more expensive than Shimano ones.
Does it work well? Is it loud?

the green pads are just regular tektro pads. The red ones are koolstop.

I don't notice a difference in noise, or even performance really. I just got the red ones because I thought the contrasting colors of red and black look cool.

Or would this be compatible?

https://lunacycle.com/mac-motor-asi-high-performance-hub-kit/

After a ride today, I'm realizing that acceleration is much more useful than top speed. I don't feel comfortable going 30+mph, and even then, my ideal speed in typical traffic conditions is 25 mph (perhaps higher with orderly roads and quality pavement).

But what really helps is acceleration - if you can get to the front of the traffic line, and then gun it to 25-30mph twice as fast as any car. Then even if the cars try to overtake you, which many dangerously will, you have a much bigger runway. Reflexes make a big difference too.

I'd love to start seeing ebikes being advertised with say, 0-28mph times. And also an option to run the throttle up to 28 or 30 mph, which is 100% legal if classified as a moped, depending on your state.

I have looked into Luna upgrade since Juiced charge quite a bit for their upgrade parts.. motor, battery, speed controller, etc.

The short answer is no.. Juiced has its own proprietary connector to avoid customers purchasing parts from different brands.

Of course, if you're willing to switch every electronic component to Luna, then that might be the different story.

Ah that sucks. Disappointing that Juiced went the proprietary route if true. Do you know offhand what a MAC and controller would cost from Juiced?

Ha if Juiced sells enough bikes, you could buy a wrecked 'organ donor' one to scavenge it. The Scrambler and the HF1100 will have them. But probably pretty slim chance.

I have looked into Luna upgrade since Juiced charge quite a bit for their upgrade parts.. motor, battery, speed controller, etc.

The short answer is no.. Juiced has its own proprietary connector to avoid customers purchasing parts from different brands.

Of course, if you're willing to switch every electronic component to Luna, then that might be the different story.

When the CCS came out they switch to the xt connectors. Luna cycle may be thinking of the prior models when they used that proprietary connector.

Or would this be compatible?

https://lunacycle.com/mac-motor-asi-high-performance-hub-kit/

After a ride today, I'm realizing that acceleration is much more useful than top speed. I don't feel comfortable going 30+mph, and even then, my ideal speed in typical traffic conditions is 25 mph (perhaps higher with orderly roads and quality pavement).

But what really helps is acceleration - if you can get to the front of the traffic line, and then gun it to 25-30mph twice as fast as any car. Then even if the cars try to overtake you, which many dangerously will, you have a much bigger runway. Reflexes make a big difference too.

I'd love to start seeing ebikes being advertised with say, 0-28mph times. And also an option to run the throttle up to 28 or 30 mph, which is 100% legal if classified as a moped, depending on your state.

Faster than any car to 25 mph ? No.

Faster than any car to 25 mph ? No.
Between driver reflexes, drivers usually not flooring it and 1.8k watt peak (HF1100), it's plausible, I have yet to test it.

My CCS slows after 20 because the throttle does nothing and I usually run it on Eco

Haven't seen numbers on ebike acceleration though.

Really? Visually, it does look like it fits on CCS.
The 12FET controller is longer, but not fatter. And if you look at both HF and CCS battery location and size, they do look very similar.. probably identical.
Ah I thought the fat had a thicker downtube but you're probably right

Back