New Features for Nyon2 scheduled april 2022

I wish the nyon had strava integration though you have to do everything manually.
Very true, but as of now, cobi.bike no longer uploads key data, power and heart rate, to strava anyway. So the data that goes to Strava could just as well be captured by running Strava on one's smart phone. I'll just need to remember to start Strava at the beginning of a ride. I may even be able to connect my HR monitor to Strava and to Nyon at the same time. We'll have to see...

Bosch ebike division does things in strange ways. Not sure who they listen to for feature requests etc. OEMs, since they're most of the customer base?

Very true, but as of now, cobi.bike no longer uploads key data, power and heart rate, to strava anyway. So the data that goes to Strava could just as well be captured by running Strava on one's smart phone. I'll just need to remember to start Strava at the beginning of a ride. I may even be able to connect my HR monitor to Strava and to Nyon at the same time. We'll have to see...

Bosch ebike division does things in strange ways. Not sure who they listen to for feature requests etc. OEMs, since they're most of the customer base?
I know. its strange. the few times I uploaded a ride from ebike connect it did not include the watts measurement in strava. some of it I think is strava they tried sopping uploads to apple health unless you use the strava app to record your exercise. that did not go over well. plus they stopped all connections to HRMS and such.

I know. its strange. the few times I uploaded a ride from ebike connect it did not include the watts measurement in strava. some of it I think is strava they tried sopping uploads to apple health unless you use the strava app to record your exercise. that did not go over well. plus they stopped all connections to HRMS and such.
Ebike connect sends watts to Strava for me. I do pay for Strava though, wonder if that makes a difference.

Attachments

• 882A015F-E70D-4FA3-9F79-BEA5B1CC7670.jpeg
    882A015F-E70D-4FA3-9F79-BEA5B1CC7670.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 131
Ebike connect sends watts to Strava for me. I do pay for Strava though, wonder if that makes a difference.
I think your looking at what strava takes as watts. I hope you do more then 88 watts average. thats less then waking effort. I jsut uploaded one from today I was feeling sick and did not work much. s oI averaged 102 watts but strava shows 74 watts average.
Screenshot 2022-04-05 at 12.48.39 PM.jpg
IMG_4176.jpg

Last edited:
I think your looking at what strava takes as watts. I hope you do more then 88 watts average. thats less then waking effort. I jsut uploaded one from today I was feeling sick and did not work much. s oI averaged 102 watts but strava shows 74 watts average.
View attachment 118935

I don't really do more than 88 watts unless I'm really pushing myself. My FTP is only 118, so I'm not really strong on the bike. I assumed it was accurate as it lines up nicely with the power I put out on the Peloton. Peloton output where I am really pushing myself...

Attachments

• D1A924CD-D98C-4016-9EBF-BCC738131800.jpeg
    D1A924CD-D98C-4016-9EBF-BCC738131800.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 115
Back in the day before cobi.bike took away power uploads to Strava, I always found Strava showed lower power than cobi.bike/bosch. Since I was mostly interested in ride to ride comparisons, ultimately it didn't matter to me. It would be nice if Bosch gave us more technical details about how it measures, and what it reports to third party apps like Strava, but that's just a dream, I'm sure.

The universe of riders that care about this stuff must be pretty small, or the problem would be getting more press and probably go away.

Back in the day before cobi.bike took away power uploads to Strava, I always found Strava showed lower power than cobi.bike/bosch. Since I was mostly interested in ride to ride comparisons, ultimately it didn't matter to me. It would be nice if Bosch gave us more technical details about how it measures, and what it reports to third party apps like Strava, but that's just a dream, I'm sure.

The universe of riders that care about this stuff must be pretty small, or the problem would be getting more press and probably go away.
ya who knows. I just found it odd. maybe strava is getting your average over the whole ride time. where the bike is only doing it when your peddling. I use my average watts to keep track of my energy levels and to see how my body does on the food I can eat.

Last edited:

Strava is doing many strange things. For instance, my Wahoo reports a proper Max Speed for a ride, and Strava makes it a car or motorcycle figure...

I guess I should actually check to see if there is a difference in what gets sent to Strava! Will do some analysis after my meetings are done for the day...

Strava is a horrible service. I'm glad they have steered clear. Between ebilke connect and komoot, the best of both worlds, without the Facebook like obsession dada harvesting of Strava.

Strava is a horrible service. I'm glad they have steered clear. Between ebilke connect and komoot, the best of both worlds, without the Facebook like obsession dada harvesting of Strava.
The point is Strava is the most popular cycling service. All my riding mates of both sexes are on Strava.

I just use strava to keep track of my total miles in a easy format. garmin did not give me a weekly total and bosch does not give it to me either.

I guess I should actually check to see if there is a difference in what gets sent to Strava! Will do some analysis after my meetings are done for the day...
Interesting, the average power is reporting as higher on ebike connect, than it is in Strava and then it's different again in Garmin.
  • Strava avg power: 88
  • Strava weighted avg: 95
  • eBike Connect: average: 102
  • Garmin Connect avg power: 83
  • Garmin Connect normalized power: 103
I imagine it's just a different calculation. Like the difference between Strava's avg and weighted avg. And Garmin's avg and normalized power. I presume all the data is transferred using the tcx file.

Honestly, I'm not overly concerned with the differences in calculation methods, as long as they are consistent within the same platform (no guarantee of that of course!). I guess I could just take the tcx and do my own analysis. But that's too much like actual work!

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    690.6 KB · Views: 135
  • 2.png
    2.png
    50 KB · Views: 119
  • 3.png
    3.png
    102.4 KB · Views: 121
I love data. The more the better. Data is fun!

Interesting, the average power is reporting as higher on ebike connect, than it is in Strava and then it's different again in Garmin.
  • Strava avg power: 88
  • Strava weighted avg: 95
  • eBike Connect: average: 102
  • Garmin Connect avg power: 83
  • Garmin Connect normalized power: 103
I imagine it's just a different calculation. Like the difference between Strava's avg and weighted avg. And Garmin's avg and normalized power. I presume all the data is transferred using the tcx file.

Honestly, I'm not overly concerned with the differences in calculation methods, as long as they are consistent within the same platform (no guarantee of that of course!). I guess I could just take the tcx and do my own analysis. But that's too much like actual work!
where are you getting the garmin power data? Ya I just want consistency so I can keep track.

where are you getting the garmin power data? Ya I just want consistency so I can keep track.
Garmin data is eBikeConnect -> Strava -> RunGap -> Garmin. But I could also download the tcx file from eBike Connect and upload to Garmin. I might just do that now to see if it gives the same values. I'm just assuming that all the platforms pass around the tcx file. I might also download the file from Garmin and compare to the download from eBike Connect (i.e. after it's gone through the 8 billion platforms).

So the tcx file that has made the long trip from eBikeConnect -> Strava -> RunGap -> Garmin is almost exactly the same as the one that downloads from eBikeConnect. The minor difference is that the original eBike Connect file has one extra Trackpoint element, which is a duplicate of the one above it. I guess Garmin deletes that duplicate element. And now I'm not looking at this any more otherwise I will get completely obsessed!

Attachments

• 2022-04-06_09-03-55.png
    2022-04-06_09-03-55.png
    152.5 KB · Views: 126
Back