New Evo Cross owner

Mrhappy99

Just got my bike today, but it doesn't appear I'm off to a good start. The store I bought it from was nice enough to charge the battery before I picked it up. But when I got it home, it only had a 40% charge, so I'm recharging it myself now. But after almost an hour on the charger, it still show only 2 of 5 lights. So my questions are:

• How long does it normally take to recharge the battery (couldn't find that info in the manual)?
  • The manual says the LED light on the charger should be yellow while charging, but it's clearly solid red. Is this normal?
Thanks in advance.

Was the charger turned off when you hooked it up to the battery?
You should have red and yellow lights lit on the charger if its charging.'
The yellow light will turn green at full charge.

Yes.

But I get a similar result if I plug in the charger first, then connect the battery to the charger. In that case, the light on the charger goes from blinking green to solid red, where it stays.

In neither case am I getting a yellow or amber light.

Yes.

But I get a similar result if I plug in the charger first, then connect the battery to the charger. In that case, the light on the charger goes from blinking green to solid red, where it stays.

In neither case am I getting a yellow or amber light.

Make sure the charger is plugged into the wall socket first. Then connect it to the battery.
if you do it the other way round (connect it battery first and then to wall socket), the charger doesn't do it's job.

My EVO Street Battery charger also turns solid red when charging. There is only one light on the charger so it can only be 1 color and then either flashing or solid. Despite what is printed on the battery charger itself indicating different colors of lights while charging, this solid red light is what I've noticed. Once the battery is fully charged the charging light on the charger will then turn solid green.

It takes up to 5 or 6 hours to charge an Evo battery in total.

Thanks for the replies. I was able to get the battery to fully charge overnight. My guess is that the charger eMotion provides with its bikes is now different from that which is referenced in the manual, and only shows red & green.

Look forward to other questions for this e-bike newbie!

I read somewhere that it's supposed to be 80% power after 2 hours and 100% after 4. Don't remember where I read that, though. Probably a manual, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, I haven't timed it, but 4 hours does seem about right for mine. (I have an EVO City.)

Good luck with your new bike! Have fun!

You also might check the outlet you're using. I had an issue with one of my outlets being bad (too loose to make good contact) and it wouldn't charge. I thought it was the bike or charger for a little while until I figured it out.

How are you liking the Evo Cross, I'm going to test ride one this Saturday at a dealer. What other bikes did you consider and what made you choose the Evo Cross.

thanks
harry

Harry....sorry for the late reply. I'm very much enjoying my Evo Cross. Every time I ride I learn a little more about it's nuances. I test rode several bikes, but honed it down to the Evo Cross and Stromer ST1 Elite. Picked the Evo Cross because of the combination of price, looks, and my usage (more road riding than trails). I think I made the right choice for me.

Hope your test rides went well. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you for the feedback, you presented great detailed information (PM) and I'm assured I made the right decision.

I too had narrowed it down to the Evo/Nitro Cross or the Stromer ST1.
I liked the look of the Nitro best but was concerned with range, I didn't want to get stuck out further than I could pedal back with no assets.

I ordered the Evo Cross and I'm waiting for delivery, I went with the medium frame I hope I made the correct size choice.

Looking forward to putting through it's paces.

harry

Thank you for the feedback, you presented great detailed information (PM) and I'm assured I made the right decision.

I too had narrowed it down to the Evo/Nitro Cross or the Stromer ST1.
I liked the look of the Nitro best but was concerned with range, I didn't want to get stuck out further than I could pedal back with no assets.

I ordered the Evo Cross and I'm waiting for delivery, I went with the medium frame I hope I made the correct size choice.

Looking forward to putting through it's paces.

harry
Never guess on frame size. Any qualified bike shop will measure you and determine the correctly sized bike for you.

I'm 5'9" and the medium frame bikes are always too small for me. I got the City rather than the Street or City Wave because of this. I prefer the step-through frame, but not enough to put up with the wrong-sized frame. Good luck on your size choice. I hope you guessed right because a too-small frame ruins the entire bike.

I'm 5'9" and the medium frame bikes are always too small for me. I got the City rather than the Street or City Wave because of this. I prefer the step-through frame, but not enough to put up with the wrong-sized frame. Good luck on your size choice. I hope you guessed right because a too-small frame ruins the entire bike.
There should be NO GUESSING. Frame geometry and fit (before and after purchase) are critical to safe enjoyable riding. If a dealer does not do a pre-sale analysis of riding type, body measurements, and suitable frame geometry, choose another dealer.

This info is like bicycle 101.

Harry, I really hope you enjoy your new bike. I have the jet version which is very similar to yours. After making a few minor upgrades, I can't imagine having a better bike for the type of commuting I do, especially for the price point.

Back