New Como 3.0 and 4.0 owner...a few stupid questions

Nwr2339

Wife and I just bought a Como 3.0 and 4.0, respectively. So far, loving the decision but I have a few questions that may seem silly.

#1. Has anyone tried moving the tail light on the saddle to the back of a rear rack? It's useless where it is.

#2. Is the handlebars adjustable? Can they be lifted?

#3. Not so stupid but, when I connect to Mission Control it tells me the battery wasn't shut down correctly and it disables the motor. This just started. I turn off mission control and it's fine. Anyone have this problem?

#4. Anyone have a trustworthy link for cleaning the chain? New to bikes in general and my LBS has been quite "meh" about answering questions. Basically I've lost faith in their judgement. Asked how often to oil the chain and they said when it makes noise.

Attachments

• 00100trPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200522161022187_COVER.jpg
    00100trPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200522161022187_COVER.jpg
    623.5 KB · Views: 316
Congrats on the new bikes!

Can't really speak to your first 2 items, but I just had the firmware updated on my Vado. The LBS noted some customers are reporting an apparent conflict between Mission Control and the firmware. I'd keep an eye out for a new rev for the MC app as Specialized corrects this.

There are tons of web pages on chain maintenance. It borders on a religion to some. This thread has a good overview and links to other sources for more info; https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/the-ultimate-mid-drive-chain-care-thread.32918/ .

Personally, I've always cleaned my chains every few hundred miles with a scrub type cleaner like the Park Tool CM 5.1 and an 'orange' degreaser. This gets the chain maybe 90% clean as compared to other more labor intensive approaches. I then apply a brand name 'dry' chain lube like Finish Line's Dry Lube with Teflon, http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/chain-lubricants/dry-lube . I'll also lube the deraillleur pivot points with Tri-flow lube and give the cassette and chain ring a quick scrub. This process keeps my shifting smooth and helps prevents early wear out of the other more expensive drive train components.

Each Spring I replace my bike chains and pull the cassettes for a deep cleaning. This is usually well under the recommended chain stretch limits but chains are comparatively cheap. I've always thought of it as insurance against other component wear out. With the mid-drive motors on the Comos most users are reporting ~1,000 miles before getting close to the chain stretch limits. This happens to be about what I ride yearly for each of my 2 bikes so no problem! Some have ridden well past this, but paid the price in having to replace other components.

BTW - Park Tool offers a number of free tutorials on bike maintenance. Here's the one using their chain scrubber, https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/chain-cleaning-with-a-park-tool-chain-scrubber . Check their web site for others or just Google "Park Tool xxxx video" when you to find out about xxxx.

The handlebars on the Como are already very high relative to the saddle. If you are seeking the most upright riding position, a stem riser can be used, for example this one:
Thanks. It's quite comfortable as is but was curious if it was inherently adjustable or I needed risers in case I wanted that more upright position. Honestly thinking I'll just get some bar end grips. When I sit completely up I can keep my finger tips on the grips so thinking with end grips it would be perfect for sitting up and cruising.

For item 1 My lbs just mounted a battery powered light on the rack cheap and .
easy but splicing and mounting existing light is possible I guess. I'm hoping to use that wire to power somering else

Last edited:
Congrats on the new bikes!

Can't really speak to your first 2 items, but I just had the firmware updated on my Vado. The LBS noted some customers are reporting an apparent conflict between Mission Control and the firmware. I'd keep an eye out for a new rev for the MC app as Specialized corrects this.

There are tons of web pages on chain maintenance. It borders on a religion to some. This thread has a good overview and links to other sources for more info; https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/the-ultimate-mid-drive-chain-care-thread.32918/ .

Personally, I've always cleaned my chains every few hundred miles with a scrub type cleaner like the Park Tool CM 5.1 and an 'orange' degreaser. This gets the chain maybe 90% clean as compared to other more labor intensive approaches. I then apply a brand name 'dry' chain lube like Finish Line's Dry Lube with Teflon, http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/chain-lubricants/dry-lube . I'll also lube the deraillleur pivot points with Tri-flow lube and give the cassette and chain ring a quick scrub. This process keeps my shifting smooth and helps prevents early wear out of the other more expensive drive train components.

Each Spring I replace my bike chains and pull the cassettes for a deep cleaning. This is usually well under the recommended chain stretch limits but chains are comparatively cheap. I've always thought of it as insurance against other component wear out. With the mid-drive motors on the Comos most users are reporting ~1,000 miles before getting close to the chain stretch limits. This happens to be about what I ride yearly for each of my 2 bikes so no problem! Some have ridden well past this, but paid the price in having to replace other components.

BTW - Park Tool offers a number of free tutorials on bike maintenance. Here's the one using their chain scrubber, https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/chain-cleaning-with-a-park-tool-chain-scrubber . Check their web site for others or just Google "Park Tool xxxx video" when you to find out about xxxx.

Thanks for the info. All good stuff.

Only a problem if you use trunk bag. One of the reasons I mostly use pannier bags.
You could re-install install the taillight on the fender or rack. Depends on your level of DIY skills. Biggest challenge I found was nicely routing the tail light wire out of the frame. Replacement Supernova tail lights are available most easily online. Not many lbs's will tackle this one, and certainly not cheaply. Easiest and cheapest solution is DIY a secondary usb-rechargeable light on the rack or left seat stay.

As discussed in other posts raising the handlebar has been done but you need to be wary of available cable length. Longer cables can be had/made, but again at a custom price. Ergon GP-5 grips would probably be most economical solution.

Wife and I just bought a Como 3.0 and 4.0, respectively. So far, loving the decision but I have a few questions that may seem silly.

#1. Has anyone tried moving the tail light on the saddle to the back of a rear rack? It's useless where it is.

#2. Is the handlebars adjustable? Can they be lifted?

#3. Not so stupid but, when I connect to Mission Control it tells me the battery wasn't shut down correctly and it disables the motor. This just started. I turn off mission control and it's fine. Anyone have this problem?

#4. Anyone have a trustworthy link for cleaning the chain? New to bikes in general and my LBS has been quite "meh" about answering questions. Basically I've lost faith in their judgement. Asked how often to oil the chain and they said when it makes noise.
I just moved the taillight on my wife’s Como to the back of the rack. She has her seat as far down as it will go on the small frame version and the light was completely obscured by the rack. Because the seat was so low it was no problem to unscrew the light and route the wire to the back of the rack. I attached the light with cable ties and also used them to tie the light cable to the bottom of the rack.

I just moved the taillight on my wife’s Como to the back of the rack. She has her seat as far down as it will go on the small frame version and the light was completely obscured by the rack. Because the seat was so low it was no problem to unscrew the light and route the wire to the back of the rack. I attached the light with cable ties and also used them to tie the light cable to the bottom of the rack.
Any chance you could attach a pic of the finished job?

Vado 3.0 vs Como 3.0 - are they same in terms of up hill capability? Vado 3.0 is Class 3 and Como is Class 1

No they are not the same. Check the engine tourque specs and the chainring number of teeth and you will see the vado should be the better climber. Class 1 or class 3 isn't the issue, that is just the top speed limit.

No they are not the same. Check the engine tourque specs and the chainring number of teeth and you will see the vado should be the better climber. Class 1 or class 3 isn't the issue, that is just the top speed limit.
Thank you for that info. Am I right to understand that the 2020 Vado 3.0 is indeed class 3? It’s confusing since the Como 3.0 is class 1- anyone?
my local lbs has one in stock but cant confirm if its class 1 or class 3 here is a photo of the box

Attachments

• 5E1FB9F8-DD02-497C-A6F0-F4F1A1EE096C.png
    5E1FB9F8-DD02-497C-A6F0-F4F1A1EE096C.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 374
Last edited:
@Brendon@TBSM has a Specialized shop and answered this question before I believe. Perhaps he can respond. The class 1or 3 thing depends on the year and the country.

Thank you for that info. Am I right to understand that the 2020 Vado 3.0 is indeed class 3? It’s confusing since the Como 3.0 is class 1- anyone?
my local lbs has one in stock but cant confirm if its class 1 or class 3 here is a photo of the box

2020 Vado and Como 3.0 are indeed class 1, 2019 Vado and Como 3.0 are both class 3 with the 1.2 versus 1.2e motor.

Are you sure that’s not reversed?

100% on the 2020 Vado/Como 3.0 being class 1, and 2019 Vado/Como 3.0 being class 3. I could have the motors mixed up but I'm pretty sure the class 3 bikes get the 1.2, not the 1.2e

Edit: I plugged in that part number on the bike and it's a 2020 Vado 3.0, $2700 class 1 bike

The Specialized web site reports the 2020 Vado and Como 3 being equipped with the 1.2e (50Nm) motor.

100% on the 2020 Vado/Como 3.0 being class 1, and 2019 Vado/Como 3.0 being class 3. I could have the motors mixed up but I'm pretty sure the class 3 bikes get the 1.2, not the 1.2e

Edit: I plugged in that part number on the bike and it's a 2020 Vado 3.0, $2700 class 1 bike
Sone thing is not right...I went ahead and simultaneously emailed specialized to ask the same question. Here is the answer I just recieved:

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out.

Yes the 2020 Vado 3.0 is a class 3 bike. Meaning it has a top assist speed of 28mph.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Tanner | Specialized USA Rider Care |

So they seem to confirm its a class 3 but others on here say its not and so still confusing !

Also this review states its a class 3- I believe he has the 2020 in the video

Sone thing is not right...I went ahead and simultaneously emailed specialized to ask the same question. Here is the answer I just recieved:

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out.

Yes the 2020 Vado 3.0 is a class 3 bike. Meaning it has a top assist speed of 28mph.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Tanner | Specialized USA Rider Care |

So they seem to confirm its a class 3 but others on here say its not and so still confusing !

Also this review states its a class 3- I believe he has the 2020 in the video

What country are you in, the US? The programming can be changed depending on what country you are in, maybe that's where we're getting our wires crossed.

Back