Neoprene Ebike Battery Covers for Cold Weather

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi guys! The subject of keeping Lithium-ion batteries insulated has come up from time to time, because cold temperatures impact how capacity is expressed and this impacts range for electric bike riders. I've got a couple of solutions to share, along with some history, but let's begin with a general recommendation. Even if you do have a way to insulate an ebike battery... if it starts out very cold, the insulation isn't going to matter. For this reason, I usually remove my ebike battery and store it in a cool dry location (cool, not cold or freezing). My understanding is that cold doesn't harm the cell chemistry that extreme heat can (reducing charge cycles and possibly leading to complete failure or fire). The best case scenario is to keep a battery in a neutral environment, connect it to your ebike just before setting out for a ride, and possibly insulating the battery so the outside air temperature and wind won't cool the pack too quickly... resulting in decreased range.

Product: BH Easy Motion Neo, Evo, Atom models neoprene battery cover. Official product, sold through BH Easy Motion dealers. Uses a zipper to surround the downtube-battery design that Easy Motion uses for many of their bikes.

Product: Yamaha and Haibike neoprene battery cover. Third party product sold in Europe. Appears to slide over the battery pack and not require a zipper or velcro, it even has some holes that show the LED charge level indicator on top of the pack.

Product: The unfortunately named NC-17 generic neoprene battery cover that appears to work for Bosch PowerPack and some rear rack batteries. The website says it's compatible with many downtube mounted batteries, the Bosch rear rack battery pack, Yamaha downtube mounted batteries (much like the product above), and even the Bosch PowerTube fully integrated battery. Third party product sold by Scooteretti. It appears to use velcro to attach to the battery or around a downtube with integrated battery pack but may be a slip over for the downtube mounted designs that are not internal.

As always, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this subject and see examples of solutions you have used, or links to other third party suppliers. An added benefit of some neoprene covers is that they may protect the battery a bit if it is dropped. I was always impressed with the BH Easy Motion solution for the Neo and Evo models of years past, being the first product I ever saw on the market like this when I covered the Easy Motion Evo Snow, but did find the zipper design a bit tricky to zip onto the frame each time.

Thanks for the info. Do you know if they make one or you know of others making one for Juiced bikes? I have a ripcurrent s with 52 Volt battery. The battery is bulky. Was hoping to find one for subzero winter riding here in midwest. i rode the bike last winter and cold/wind makes a huge difference.

Thanks for the info. As I might move from my Bosch Powerpack bikes (use the Fahrer cover) to my first bike with the Powertube, I was hoping there was a neoprene cover available to wrap around the downtube ...

There are thousands of bikes with shark packs, dolphin packs etc (Rad rover, BBS-HD bikes, Luna cycle ebikes).
For all those, this cover may be useful. It is not Neoprene but it protects the battery from the elements.

1569532869092.png

1569532880633.png

Use the 5v light lead on a BBSxx to connect to 5v warmers used in heated clothing. Amazon and Aliexpress have them along with controllers. Cheap mod and effective.

Here are a couple of options designed for the Shimano downtube mounted battery.

1569688804806.png

Ordered a new set so that I can show of how I did my winter pack. Other is all glued in place and covered. I'm using an old sagging pack just 13s4p. It needs frequent charges and will only deliver 10-15 miles. But I don't ride for fun in winter. Just quit trips of 2-4 miles to a friends or a low item count store trip. I might try using a cover with another set installed. Cheap, and all I have is time...
Screen Shot 2019-09-28 at 12.18.56 PM.png

Are there any of these for a specialized model? Planning on purchasing the Como Turbo 3. It's dawned on me I might need this but my baby will be parked securely in a heated room while I'm at work and then at home in my bedroom when I'm home. It still may be good for peace of mind, though.

Are there any of these for a specialized model? Planning on purchasing the Como Turbo 3. It's dawned on me I might need this but my baby will be parked securely in a heated room while I'm at work and then at home in my bedroom when I'm home. It still may be good for peace of mind, though.

This should work well for the integrated Specialized battery design... hope this helps ;)

FAHRER also offer a universal downtube protector for e-bikes with integrated batteries (such as Giant, Specialized and Rotwild).

1569896891019.png

This should work well for the integrated Specialized battery design... hope this helps ;)

FAHRER also offer a universal downtube protector for e-bikes with integrated batteries (such as Giant, Specialized and Rotwild).

View attachment 39329
Thanks!

I've been riding my bikes with and without these covers. In terms of cold, bikes work just fine down to –20°C without the covers. However, the covers provide an additional important benefit: they protect the batteries from dirt.

I've been riding my bikes with and without these covers. In terms of cold, bikes work just fine down to –20°C without the covers. However, the covers provide an additional important benefit: they protect the batteries from dirt.
Interesting! I have no issue with motors at -20C but ALL of my batteries lose significant power when in freezing temps. Perhaps you don’t ride long or ever allow the battery to get very cold for any length of time. I have several commuting friends and customers in Minneapolis and St Paul, heating a battery is the only way to keep it at normal power output levels. What’s your secret?

At what temperature can I expect significant loss of power in my battery?
Is it noticeable already at say +5°C ( 41°F) compared to 20°C ( 68°F)?

At what temperature can I expect significant loss of power in my battery?
Is it noticeable already at say +5°C ( 41°F) compared to 20°C ( 68°F)?

At 0'c or below, the drop in performance is very noticeable.
Easiest way to destroy a battery's charge storage capacity is to charge them in cold temperatures.

At 0'c or below, the drop in performance is very noticeable.
Easiest way to destroy a battery's charge storage capacity is to charge them in cold temperatures.
Thanks. I will probably only be riding, not charging, in lower temperatures and keep it above freezing.

So after seeing that the cost of shipping and the price of a Velcro closed sleeve was close to 60 bucks, I decided to buy the materials to DIY it from amazon sold components. Turns out you can buy high quality scuba neoprene online for really cheap ($10-$15 for a wide yard). I plan to report back!

Thanks for the info. Do you know if they make one or you know of others making one for Juiced bikes? I have a ripcurrent s with 52 Volt battery. The battery is bulky. Was hoping to find one for subzero winter riding here in midwest. i rode the bike last winter and cold/wind makes a huge difference.
Same here. Looking for something to fit for my 52V on my CCX. Did you ever find something that fits?

My partner came up with a cheap idea. She cut some foam made for dish shelves, then cut some wool sleeves or leggings. They seem to work once you figure how to wrap them.

Back