Neoprene Ebike Battery Covers for Cold Weather

Yes I can notice it around +3 and below

Hey Steve. Would you notice it on a short ride at +3? Meaning if the battery is charged and stored at room temperature, and then you head out on a 30 minute ride at somewhere from 0 to +5C, would that be long enough to see enough of a drop and warrant a cover? How long a ride would be required before it would make enough of a difference?

I'm happy to invest in one, but most of my winter rides are usually very quick and focused, rather than long and recreational, so I'm not sure it'd be worth the investment for me. But if the EBR brain trust thinks it may be, then I'll happily try one out and see. :)

Hey Steve. Would you notice it on a short ride at +3? Meaning if the battery is charged and stored at room temperature, and then you head out on a 30 minute ride at somewhere from 0 to +5C, would that be long enough to see enough of a drop and warrant a cover? How long a ride would be required before it would make enough of a difference?

I'm happy to invest in one, but most of my winter rides are usually very quick and focused, rather than long and recreational, so I'm not sure it'd be worth the investment for me. But if the EBR brain trust thinks it may be, then I'll happily try one out and see. :)
I did not buy any covers so I do not know about how useful they are . Alaskan says they help though. But I figured that since it seldom freezes around here anymore and I have access to as many as 4 batteries I will just carry more power. Anecdotally I think I lose about 10-20% range in Dec-Feb?

It’s a DIY project, have to put those inSide a sleeve Or wrap around the pack with double side tape , , then cover with a thin neoprene. Or other ways.
Or with a sewing machine it can be done also.
How thick are the mats you are using...sorry if I missed that detail...
Pretty good prices from CN and Banggood. Approximately 9"x13"x0.40".
25mm x 35mm x 10mm

Last edited:
How thick are the mats you are using...sorry if I missed that detail...
Pretty good prices from CN and Banggood. Approximately 9"x13"x0.40".
25mm x 35mm x 10mm

I got the one on the bike with 6mm and the spare battery is covered with 10mm but I need to build a longer neoprene cover and make a zipper for it also.

The lithium really likes a warm temperature (65-90F) , I try to make it as warm as possible.

Have to cover the top side and the underneath of the downtube. About 30$ for the aerogel material for a 5-600wh pack; then the cost for a custom velcro or other cover
I’ll post some pictures later today.

I am not a scientist but it has something to do with the colder temperatures. In summer ( ave temp about 23/73) I get 10-20% more range than in winter (ave temp about 6/42)

mike said:
Batteries, electric cars have the same problem. I read one article of a 25% range loss (or more) in cold weather for electric cars.

You guys missed my winky face. My point was that Steve has to cut his range in the winter because of the shorter daylight. Today he only has a bit over 8 hrs of sunlight while down here south of Tucson we're enjoying just over 10 hrs. I'll try to be more obvious next time.

Dave

Meaning if the battery is charged and stored at room temperature, and then you head out on a 30 minute ride at somewhere from 0 to +5C, would that be long enough to see enough of a drop and warrant a cover? How long a ride would be required before it would make enough of a difference?

I live in Chicago and commute nearly year round. (45 mins each way)
During winter if I did not use the Neoprene sleeve, I would lose capacity much quicker. In British Columbia, you may not need it for 30min rides. But in places like Michigan, Wisconsin, Boston etc... battery sleeve can be useful. It also protects the battery from salty water on the road.

or the aerogel material for a 5-600wh pack; then the cost for a custom velcro or

See, this is how I did one of the packs . Aerogel 6mm, then electrical tape , then neoprene cover(is not in picture, b/c is on the bike pack ).

I should also put a 3mm one on the front of the pack where it goes inside the pack. It will be a tight fit. Or on the downtube directly. For now is very good ,17-22degrees Celsius usually.

It’s cozy and warm in there😉(inside the battery pack I mean...) , when I’m on the road charging up, my Grin Satiator shows 20Celsius(has cable for cell temperature) regularly , sometimes 17/18C , and that’s in really cold weather.

When I was using only Neoprene, it was showing 8-9Celsius.

The cable charger from Bh has a 3rd wire for temperature and after I custom made the Charger to work with the Old 2amp Charger, the Satiator is Able to show the cells temperature !

Not all chargers have the thermistor cable for temperature though...

That area where you see the aerogel is covered, took the tape out, so that it can be seen clearly how it was done.

After April I will take the whole thing off and probably will build an easier to remove/put on aerogel cover for winter.

After April I will take the whole thing off and probably will build an easier to remove/put on aerogel cover for winter.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 692
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 658
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 663
Last edited:
I live in Chicago and commute nearly year round. (45 mins each way)
During winter if I did not use the Neoprene sleeve, I would lose capacity much quicker. In British Columbia, you may not need it for 30min rides. But in places like Michigan, Wisconsin, Boston etc... battery sleeve can be useful. It also protects the battery from salty water on the road.

Ah, fair enough. You guys are hard core. I don't ride when it's below zero. (And by "below zero", I mean below zero celcius, AKA below freezing.) It's very rarely below zero in South-coastal British Columbia during the daytime (relatively rare that it drops below zero overnight for that matter too), so choosing to avoid it typically only affects a few days of the year, a few weeks of the year if we get a really bad cold snap like we did February 2019.

We don't do a lot of road salting around these parts either, but there is some occasionally so I do have to hose my bike down from time to time in the winter.

So full marks to you guys that live in colder climes than me for being super dedicated and super hard for riding in those kinds of sub-zero temperatures. :-O I'm not worthy! :)

Buy, buy buy. The battery came with nice bats of 1/2" thick poly foam, to protect it from freezing in the truck. I cut those to size to fit into my aluminum frame around the battery. The foam deformation allows me to stick a screwdriver over it to tighten the screws, then it expands again to cover the screw heads. Totally baffles thieves. You turn the elastic stop nuts outside with no driver inside, the screw head just spins. I taped the poly foam together with clear shipping tape before closing the aluminum frame. I also wrapped it all on top front & sides with a nice green PVC bag that matches my bike, & keeps the rain off.
I found a 22 mile trip at 40 deg F pretty well discharged a 17.5 AH battery, whereas 30 miles in the summer discharges it about 75%.

See, this is how I did one of the packs . Aerogel 6mm, then electrical tape , then neoprene cover(is not in picture, b/c is on the bike pack ).

I used 10mm aerogel + 2mm plastic tube + a lot of spray butyl glue, some rubber and neoprene for edges...

Hardest thing is to maintain it 'airproof' - then all air inside will become effective thermal isolant. After 40min of riding on full assistance (15amp consumption) in outside temp. -5C (23F) equilibrium temp. battery : 6C (42.8F). I was suprised that battery keeps it's temperature even when riding downhill for few minutes. I used chep wired thermomether sensor located on the top of battery - my estimate is that real temperature inside of battery was more or less ideal around 10C (50F). More details about this build is here : https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/open-discussion-for-winter-riders.31340/post-239868

I'm hoping I get my new 36V build up before winter ends, the BMS has temp sensors.

Is it safe/advisable to use neoprene covers year round? I have a Haibike that has a removable battery cover that tends to come loose and in some cases fall off. I was thinking one of these covers would easily secure it, but is there any harm in using one in warmer weather?

Back