Need some help with motor symptoms

RHoodJr

Region
USA
2020 RAD Mini step through.

I have an intermittent issue with the throttle and PAS. It seems that after stopping the bike after a short ride, or if I walk the bike a step or two, the throttle will run the motor but the bike does not move. Also the PAS does not seem to work. I have found that if I reverse the pedal direction a bit, the bike once again acts normally. After speaking with RAD their suggestion was a controller and I was sent a new one. Installed it today and the same problem still exists. My theory is that I may have a freewheel issue since the motor operates with the throttle but the bike won’t move. After contacting RAD again, it is now suggested I purchase a whole rear wheel assembly for $380.00. REALLY?

Any thoughts from those much smarter about this bike is appreciated.

THANKS

Since the motor "runs" but the bike doesn't move, it sounds like it could be an issue with the freewheel pawls in the planetary gear carrier inside the motor. Sticking pawls in that freewheel might cause the symptoms you describe. It is not impossible to take apart geared hub motors and service the planetary gears without taking the entire wheel apart (spokes, rim, etc.). The other possibility might be Hall sensors in the motor are acting up, but this is less likely.

2020 RAD Mini step through.

I have an intermittent issue with the throttle and PAS. It seems that after stopping the bike after a short ride, or if I walk the bike a step or two, the throttle will run the motor but the bike does not move. Also the PAS does not seem to work. I have found that if I reverse the pedal direction a bit, the bike once again acts normally. After speaking with RAD their suggestion was a controller and I was sent a new one. Installed it today and the same problem still exists. My theory is that I may have a freewheel issue since the motor operates with the throttle but the bike won’t move. After contacting RAD again, it is now suggested I purchase a whole rear wheel assembly for $380.00. REALLY?

Any thoughts from those much smarter about this bike is appreciated.

THANKS
It's worth taking apart. It does sound like a problem with the pawls sticking.

Thanks for the help.
Does anyone know where I can get a replacement clutch for the Bafang 750 Watt motor? From what I have seen it does not look like I can get to the pawls to service them. They seem to be in the metal case that the gears are mounted to.
Thanks

If you have the hub apart, please post some pictures of the planetary gear carrier. You've already had to do some challenging stuff (security Torx bits) if you've removed the carrier.

Your sure the problem is not in the rear hub? You mentioned that you may have a freewheel issue. Does the motor turn the chainring? Do the cogs in the rear just spin?

The problem I have is that after riding the bike for a while, and I stop completely or stop peddling while going down hill the PAS quits And won’t respond to throttle or pedals. If I stop completely the throttle spins the motor but the clutch wont engage and the bike won’t move. If I reverse pedal hard, it sometimes corrects the issue. Pretty sure the pawls in the motor clutch are sticking.

yup it does sound like pawls sticking. they are not difficult to replace. I would start there. Maybe a 30 minute repair?

The problem I have is that after riding the bike for a while, and I stop completely or stop peddling while going down hill the PAS quits And won’t respond to throttle or pedals. If I stop completely the throttle spins the motor but the clutch wont engage and the bike won’t move. If I reverse pedal hard, it sometimes corrects the issue. Pretty sure the pawls in the motor clutch are sticking.

Back