Need Reliable And Established Parts Suppliers

007vsMagua

It's been awhile since I've posted here and I'm thinking of building my own custom eBike. Considering what a new eBike costs, with none of them being perfect, I'm thinking why not just buy parts and build what I want.

I'm at retirement age with a number of skills I've picked up over the years and this could be a good project for me.

Like chopping a Harley the first thing I need is a frame style that works for me, so finding a base frame is important. Next comes all the other parts like wheels, tires, hubs, etc., etc..

If anyone could share important online sites for buying parts I would be grateful.

If anyone could share important online sites for buying parts I would be grateful.

Way too many options available to list. Your best and most economical bet is to find a complete bike that you think you can work with and go from there.

There are a few quality suppliers in the industry but none of them will sell to you. What I suggest is that you befriend a local bike shop who can give you access to a supplier catalog so they can order stuff for you. You might be able to work a deal on pricing if your dollar volume is significant. There are a couple of international online retailers who sell products at very close to cost. As an example, when we need Shimano parts for one of our customers ebikes we order from Chain Reaction Cycles in the UK as their prices are below supplier wholesale in the US and their service is terrific. Good luck and have fun. Only caveat that I have for your project is that you choose a frame that is durable and strong enough to support the higher speeds and weight of eBike componentry. If you can source a frame that has front thru-axles that would be a good thing.

So much pessimism. So little DIY adventure.
The local bike shop sold me a Schwinn in 87 that dumped me on the road due to a insufficiently torqued stem. They are good at tires, period. The bikes they have in stock are way to big for me except the single speed ones, useless on the 8% hill a half mile from my house. One bike shop over in Kentucky also has stock only for enormous leggy European/African people.
In e-bikes the heavier the frame, the better, within limits. So that junk steel the metal man is hauling off in his pickup truck, that is IMHO what you want. Caveat, the trash bikes are sized for kids, 18" stem to stem max, and adults need longer frames than you find used. I have native AM bones with short legs/long torso, and will be converting a nineties girls 10 speed soon to geared hub electric. Five gears (suntour) are too high for me, perfect for e-assist.
Internet bike parts suppliers, so far I've used niagaracycle.com. They are good at their big parts, but complete idiots at measuring small nuts to make them match up to the description. They can't read a machinist scale and can't even ship the same nut size twice on the same order description a month apart. They refund promptly for the trash nuts they send you. They shipped a shifter rod for a sixties Sturmey-Archer 3 spd hub right, so if the identification is unique they can do it. They are in NY for us east of the Mississippi that don't like UPS rates from Oregon/Calif.
Jepson seems expensive, competitivecyclist seems mostly tuned to light weight racing parts. Modernbike.com may get my next order. They are in Iowa.
I'm seeing a lot of facts on here about lunacycle.com kits, and their prices seem good. Descriptions are almost complete. They are in CAlif. ebikes.ca in canada has even better descriptions and support, but cross border shipping inhibits me from trying them. Plus they are in Vancouver, further even than oregon. UPS charges for milage.
Don't forget Amazon. They are not sophisticated and the descriptions are brief and maddening, but for generic things like spokes, brake pads, derailleur takeups, they are cheap and their warehouse is 6 miles from me in Kentuckiana. I've used them four times.

Last edited:
I'm not opposed to DIY but with something traveling at high speeds in traffic, the margin for error is very small. As an old man, each day is precious....LOL

I'm age 67, and I hit ~35 mph on my human powered bike down the 15% grade out near my summer camp. If a deer jumps out on me I may wish I had better brakes. Or that I could jump as high as I could 15 years ago. ****, I'm stiff.
I don't see running electric over 20 mph in traffic. My average human powered is 8 mph , 6 against a stiff wind and 10 with it cross me. So 12 mph would be a big improvement. The 750 watts in the kit I'm eyeing would be for dragging 160 lb me, 110 lb of bike & baskets & 50 lb of groceries/supplies up the 15% grade near my camp.

Back