Need opinion and advice (Newgen Bike)

Yeah I can see that.. grim! Can you pinch that back with some pliers or something? Not ideal though, regarding the throttle, guessing you’re already on pedal assist 5 but on the display there is a ‘more’ section with the passcode 1919 and speed it set to 25kph max you can put that to 99kph which will stop the motor cutting off at 15.5mph. I’ve managed to get mine to just over 22mph.
Thanks mate, I’m tempted to.. but don’t want to do any damage, I’ve got the chain back on, so I’ll try in the morning.. but gears didn’t work when the chain was back on last time. One last thing, am I being dumb.. but what are these wires (Orange end) do you have these? On the front forks essentially.

Attachments

• 5D2EA250-5B18-41DB-9136-4CEFBC9878CF.jpeg
    5D2EA250-5B18-41DB-9136-4CEFBC9878CF.jpeg
    264.4 KB · Views: 183
Thanks mate, I’m tempted to.. but don’t want to do any damage, I’ve got the chain back on, so I’ll try in the morning.. but gears didn’t work when the chain was back on last time. One last thing, am I being dumb.. but what are these wires (Orange end) do you have these? On the front forks essentially.
Ok, good luck 🤞🏻 My bike has one of those cable tidies on, those yellow wires are wrapped inside that if you can make it out in the pics.

Attachments

• D2009FDB-06E1-40B0-9ABE-383B67EE96DD.jpeg
    D2009FDB-06E1-40B0-9ABE-383B67EE96DD.jpeg
    192.7 KB · Views: 182
  • 8274E531-9C3B-4B1C-BA9B-BCC757908768.jpeg
    8274E531-9C3B-4B1C-BA9B-BCC757908768.jpeg
    235.7 KB · Views: 175
  • D3402A9E-7E15-4712-9238-B5CD29355DD3.jpeg
    D3402A9E-7E15-4712-9238-B5CD29355DD3.jpeg
    217.8 KB · Views: 173
  • 2B4E3414-89E4-4F6C-BBE8-8CFB9BA5C77D.jpeg
    2B4E3414-89E4-4F6C-BBE8-8CFB9BA5C77D.jpeg
    227.4 KB · Views: 176
  • E202EAC5-8147-4854-9B9B-D9D0AC48E669.jpeg
    E202EAC5-8147-4854-9B9B-D9D0AC48E669.jpeg
    160.1 KB · Views: 165
Yeah I can see that.. grim! Can you pinch that back with some pliers or something? Not ideal though, regarding the throttle, guessing you’re already on pedal assist 5 but on the display there is a ‘more’ section with the passcode 1919 and speed it set to 25kph max you can put that to 99kph which will stop the motor cutting off at 15.5mph. I’ve managed to get mine to just over 22mph.
Followed your instructions, chain is back on, but still can’t change gears… I managed 26.2 on a straight road 👍🏻👌🏻😀

Followed your instructions, chain is back on, but still can’t change gears… I managed 26.2 on a straight road 👍🏻👌🏻😀
26.2 on a straight? I’ve only managed the 22.3 on the downhill, how have you managed to get to 26 😂 is that is pedal assist 5 and gear 1 with throttle only? Did you change any other settings? Gonna have to take it out tomorrow and test it. Forgot to ask, have you got the 250w or 750?

26.2 on a straight? I’ve only managed the 22.3 on the downhill, how have you managed to get to 26 😂 is that is pedal assist 5 and gear 1 with throttle only? Did you change any other settings? Gonna have to take it out tomorrow and test it. Forgot to ask, have you got the 250w or 750?
We tried 250w & 750w… bought the 750 it changed out mind about 3weeks after… worried about getting nicked & more.. so we have the 250w’s. I reached that speed by throttle only, a smallish downhill it reached 29.4.. best photo I could get, promise it went to 26+ though.

Attachments

• D4115A16-6B1E-402B-8095-480E688B6DB4.jpeg
    D4115A16-6B1E-402B-8095-480E688B6DB4.jpeg
    183 KB · Views: 198
We tried 250w & 750w… bought the 750 it changed out mind about 3weeks after… worried about getting nicked & more.. so we have the 250w’s. I reached that speed by throttle only, a smallish downhill it reached 29.4.. best photo I could get, promise it went to 26+ though.
Oh I believed you mate I was just baffled. Think you might have knocked it to kmh instead of mph though.. which would make sense because that would put 25-29kmh at about 15-20mph

Few people have got their bikes now but it's all gone a bit quiet.. How's everyone finding it?

Few people have got their bikes now but it's all gone a bit quiet.. How's everyone finding it?
Loving it largely..sorted the chain out at local bike shop. My throttle chokes the motor, so not really hitting past 15.5, that’s after pushing the limit to 99kmh.. not adjusted the wheel size etc. Handlebars do move at times too, up a kerb if I pull the bike back a touch. You?

Loving it largely..sorted the chain out at local bike shop. My throttle chokes the motor, so not really hitting past 15.5, that’s after pushing the limit to 99kmh.. not adjusted the wheel size etc. Handlebars do move at times too, up a kerb if I pull the bike back a touch. You?
Love the bike, not had issues with anything really just underwhelmed by the performance. The motor in the 250w is the same used in the 750w so if you swap the 36v battery out we'll end up with around 25mph but it would probably require the controller being swapped out as well and it's all a bit too much hassle for me really.

Love the bike, not had issues with anything really just underwhelmed by the performance. The motor in the 250w is the same used in the 750w so if you swap the 36v battery out we'll end up with around 25mph but it would probably require the controller being swapped out as well and it's all a bit too much hassle for me really.
The 250 watt bikes use a 36 volt battery and the 750 watt a 48 volt battery. So completely different. Ive read that you could swap to a 500 watt motor, but not sure how the controller would take that

The Bafang "G06" is the motor used and has been stamped 250w because that is the output when fed with 36v. If you fit a 48v battery then you will see an increase of around 33% in your top speed and torque - The way this works is like this; 36v x 33% is 11.88v, add the 36v & 11.88v and you get 47.88v (around 48v). So if your top speed at present is 20mph then 20mph x 33% is 6.6mph so add the 20mph & 6.6mph and you get a top speed of 26.6mph This is assuming the following conditions:
1. There are no more restrictions that have been set in the display.
2. The controller has not been restricted in any way.
3. The controller is able to take 48v. The way to check if the controller can take 48v is to open it up and take a look at the capacitors inside - If they have a voltage of 63v or higher written on them then you should be fine.

But you knew it was restricted to 15.5 & road tested both bikes.. so it’s not really a bike issue. We did the same, ordered the 750w then, changed as concerned not street legal and potential implications of that.

The Bafang "G06" is the motor used and has been stamped 250w because that is the output when fed with 36v. If you fit a 48v battery then you will see an increase of around 33% in your top speed and torque - The way this works is like this; 36v x 33% is 11.88v, add the 36v & 11.88v and you get 47.88v (around 48v). So if your top speed at present is 20mph then 20mph x 33% is 6.6mph so add the 20mph & 6.6mph and you get a top speed of 26.6mph This is assuming the following conditions:
1. There are no more restrictions that have been set in the display.
2. The controller has not been restricted in any way.
3. The controller is able to take 48v. The way to check if the controller can take 48v is to open it up and take a look at the capacitors inside - If they have a voltage of 63v or higher written on them then you should be fine.
So are all batteries universal fitting wise? As then could get greater range out of a single charge too.

But you knew it was restricted to 15.5 & road tested both bikes.. so it’s not really a bike issue. We did the same, ordered the 750w then, changed as concerned not street legal and potential implications of that.
The difference is I was told that the bike would "comfortably" reach 20mph which NewGen have also stated publicly on Facebook. When I called them to ask why I can't comfortably hit that speed they said that they had to swap out the controller last minute which will prevent the bike getting to 20mph because they were worried about EPAS regulations.

The difference is I was told that the bike would "comfortably" reach 20mph which NewGen have also stated publicly on Facebook. When I called them to ask why I can't comfortably hit that speed they said that they had to swap out the controller last minute which will prevent the bike getting to 20mph because they were worried about EPAS regulations.
Right, ok.. that’s obviously a different story..I guess that’s the issue though, the law, they don’t want to fall foul of it, I want mine to go faster too, but that’s probably human nature as well. Could you take it to an independent bike shop and let them make the alterations? It’s crossed my mind too, I found these.. Besbike.co.uk

Right, ok.. that’s obviously a different story..I guess that’s the issue though, the law, they don’t want to fall foul of it, I want mine to go faster too, but that’s probably human nature as well. Could you take it to an independent bike shop and let them make the alterations? It’s crossed my mind too, I found these.. Besbike.co.uk
I just don't understand it all if I'm honest. Like Super73 are able to have bikes out there that hit almost 50mph but they're restricted to 250w and completely road legal. Don't know what NewGen have found so difficult about doing something similar. I've spoken to a few companies who would be willing to have a look, I can get it to hit around 30mph but at the cost of around £500 which is a bit too steep considering I've already sank 2.5k into it.

I just don't understand it all if I'm honest. Like Super73 are able to have bikes out there that hit almost 50mph but they're restricted to 250w and completely road legal. Don't know what NewGen have found so difficult about doing something similar. I've spoken to a few companies who would be willing to have a look, I can get it to hit around 30mph but at the cost of around £500 which is a bit too steep considering I've already sank 2.5k into it.
Yes, the additional at that price is steep. Do you wish you’d have gone with the Super73 now?

Yes, the additional at that price is steep. Do you wish you’d have gone with the Super73 now?
I honestly don't know mate. As I've said I love the bike, looks amazing, build quality seems excellent, whole thing feels sturdy, love the suspension which is a £300 upgrade on the Super73 ZX. The additional cost of the S73 is around £250 then suspension £300 so that's £550 to have the same quality bike. If I could 100% get the speed increase for a similar price I'd stick with NewGen. Will have to ask around I guess.

If you want greater distance then swap battery for a higher ah, but 16ah is pretty good. And i notice that the 750 watt motor has even smaller battery at 14ah. Maybe you could give us a distance sometime, flat out and see how far you can get.

If you want greater distance then swap battery for a higher ah, but 16ah is pretty good. And i notice that the 750 watt motor has even smaller battery at 14ah. Maybe you could give us a distance sometime, flat out and see how far you can get.
Really not fussed on distance, I can certainly give it a test though. If the bike only went 20 miles on a single charge I wouldn't care, my commute is only 6 miles a day. I just want the speed and acceleration

Back