Need new tires

frossa

Currently riding an Orian and want to try a wider tire. Most of my rides are on rails to trails and some paved sections. I'll soon be 80 and ride only 10 to 15 miles at a time just to get some cardo going. Tires on bike are originals 700x35c, 37-622. Any suggestions as to size increase and/or brand would be welcomed.

I can only find "Orion" bicycles when I check on line. Is that what you meant?

Here's my 2c worth:

IMO tire width is mainly a function of what kind of surface you want to ride on. For pavement and hard-packed, relatively smooth surfaces, I would guess there's not much added benefit going past 38C. Wider tires are for really bumpy or soft surfaces- the extreme being fat tires for riding on snow. You will need to check your bike to determine the maximum width that will fit inside your frame and brakes.

I suggest you look at Rene Herse 700c tires. They cost more than some, but their sidewalls are very flexible, so they remain lively at lower tire pressures. R-H offers knobby tires and road tires at 35C and wider. I picture rails-to-trails being well-packed gravel, so I'd guess you can use road tires for your rides. Knobby tires are good for surfaces like loose gravel, mud, and sand, but unless they are made correctly they slow you down on pavement.

You didn't say what tire pressure you use, but it is a big consideration. Check out https://www.renehersecycles.com/tire-pressure-calculator/ for more information. You might decide that 35C is already wide enough for you.

Currently riding an Orian and want to try a wider tire. Most of my rides are on rails to trails and some paved sections. I'll soon be 80 and ride only 10 to 15 miles at a time just to get some cardo going. Tires on bike are originals 700x35c, 37-622. Any suggestions as to size increase and/or brand would be welcomed.
Hello frossa,

Your riding style and age is very similar to mine. I'm 76 and ride mainly hard packed rail to trails with some paved. Flat protection
is absolutely paramount for me, at any cost ! I'm also a tire 'junkie' : ) Quality matters. I have a e-commuter and an e-mountain bike.
On both bikes I have the appropriate bike specific Schwalbe Brand Flatless series e-bike rated tires as seen below....

On my commuter bike I have the tires in the link below, but are not highly rated for gravel trail per
Schwalbe. I've never had an issue with these tires, but nearly all of my rail to trails riding I use my mountain bike.
https://www.schwalbetires.com/Marathon-Plus-11100771

If I continue to ride my commuter bike on rails to trails I'm going going to switch over to the trail rated tires below...

On my mountain bike I ride these Schwalbe Flatless below...

If you search off the Schwalbe website you can get better pricing. I've had excellent service with Schwalbe, combined
milage of both sets of tires approaching 8000 miles. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Good luck,
John

Back