Schwalbe Super Moto X...Good Multi-Purpose Tire?

mata2maui

Region
USA
Using my Biktrix Juggernaut Ultra Duo 3 with the 27.5 x 3 wheel/tire configuration primarily for paved streets and light-maintained trails; but do not like the knobby tires included with the bike. Not a lot out there in this tire size. Found some 27.5 x 2.8 sized Super Moto-X on Amazon but can't find the "All Grounder" in anything wider than 2.35. I have had good success with the Schwalbe Big Ben balloons on other bikes, but they don't make them in the size I need. Any other suggestions for these riding surfaces in 27.5 x 2.8-3.0?

Attachments

• 61p72jfGSGL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    61p72jfGSGL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
My bikes (the wife and I have 6 of them between us, w/3 in Mi and 3 more in FL) are ALL on Super Moto X tires. 4 of them, all hub driven, are running 27.5x2.4", and 2 of them (both the mid drives) are running the 27.5x2.8". The 2.8" clearly have a better ride, with little downside. Rolling resistance is great with either size. If anything, the 2.4" may have a little lighter feel.

Prior to going the Super Moto X route, we rode on Marathons pretty much, inflated to 60+ psi. They felt like roller skates running on a brick road, leading me to look to see if there might be options for a better ride. The Super Moto X are run at 20psi in front and 25psi in back. As you might imagine, the difference in ride is night and day.

I did check battery range when switching from the Marathons, and the difference was negligible.

Last point, several bike manf's are now supplying bikes with Super Moto X tires as OEM.....

We ride mostly paved, with a little grass and hard packed trail. I think the Super Moto X are great multi purpose tires! -Al

Thanks for the details, I am going to order them off Amazon. A lower psi for comfortable ride is a great idea as I have plenty of battery range but not so much the back I had when younger!

Thanks for the details, I am going to order them off Amazon. A lower psi for comfortable ride is a great idea as I have plenty of battery range but not so much the back I had when younger!
I ordered mine at 365cycles and got the pair for $59.28 (20” x 2.4”) with the 10% off holiday discount. Seemed to be a pretty good deal.

My Serial 1 came with them (27.5 x 2.4). I really like them and will buy them again when the originals wear out.

My bikes (the wife and I have 6 of them between us, w/3 in Mi and 3 more in FL) are ALL on Super Moto X tires. 4 of them, all hub driven, are running 27.5x2.4", and 2 of them (both the mid drives) are running the 27.5x2.8". The 2.8" clearly have a better ride, with little downside. Rolling resistance is great with either size. If anything, the 2.4" may have a little lighter feel.

Prior to going the Super Moto X route, we rode on Marathons pretty much, inflated to 60+ psi. They felt like roller skates running on a brick road, leading me to look to see if there might be options for a better ride. The Super Moto X are run at 20psi in front and 25psi in back. As you might imagine, the difference in ride is night and day.

I did check battery range when switching from the Marathons, and the difference was negligible.

Last point, several bike manf's are now supplying bikes with Super Moto X tires as OEM.....

We ride mostly paved, with a little grass and hard packed trail. I think the Super Moto X are great multi purpose tires! -Al
AHicks, I’m in the process of putting these tires on a Lectric xp lite. I’ve never liked the 2.6“ knobby tires on the xp lite; too much rolling resistance for a one speed bike. I feel it’s sluggish, limits my pedaling power, and find that I rely on the motor more than I like. Do you know how low I can run these for them not to lose their “flatless advantage” and still have a less jarring ride in the front. (The xp lite has no suspension fork and I’m not sure if one would make that big a difference). The inflation specs on the Moto X tire is 30-65psi. I had slime in my Chao-Yangs on the xp lite and I never experimented with reducing tire pressures. I always ran them at the 35psi max. I’d like to try the Super Moto X at lowest effective pressure and not sure if it would be a good idea to slime them if I do that or is that an overkill?

I swapped the stock knobby tires (Ground Control T7) on my Tero X with Schwalbe Johnny Watts. I ride on a mix of pavement, asphalt trails, packed gravel, loose gravel, and dry dirt. I'd say they're a hybrid between something like a Moto X and a knobby tire. In my experience the Johnny Watts are a straight upgrade from knobby: On hard surfaces they are faster, quieter, and lower vibration. On gravel the grip feels about the same, and they are much less prone to throwing gravel. The fastest/sketchiest situations I get into are downhill on gravel, and the gravel feels like the limiting factor rather than the tire.

I think Moto X could work for me, too, but the tradeoff would be smoother, faster travel on pavements and a little worse offroad, which isn't a priority for me right now.

I swapped the stock knobby tires (Ground Control T7) on my Tero X with Schwalbe Johnny Watts. I ride on a mix of pavement, asphalt trails, packed gravel, loose gravel, and dry dirt. I'd say they're a hybrid between something like a Moto X and a knobby tire. In my experience the Johnny Watts are a straight upgrade from knobby: On hard surfaces they are faster, quieter, and lower vibration. On gravel the grip feels about the same, and they are much less prone to throwing gravel. The fastest/sketchiest situations I get into are downhill on gravel, and the gravel feels like the limiting factor rather than the tire.

I think Moto X could work for me, too, but the tradeoff would be smoother, faster travel on pavements and a little worse offroad, which isn't a priority for me right now.
Definitely agree the Johnny Watts are a much better tire for your needs. The knobby pattern actually even looks more aggressive than the Chao-Yangs I have on my xp lite. Super Moto X I think will work good for me since I ride mostly pavement with occasional hard packed gravel.

Back