NCM Moscow Trail Ride

dunksalot

One of the things I could not find is someone riding on a trail with an NCM Moscow before I bought mine. I went on faith that it would work just fine and I'm very happy with my NCM Moscow (Standard). So yesterday I went ahead and made a brief video. I apologize in advance for the slight jitter as I don't own a GoPro this was merely my Galaxy 10 on a handlebar mount.

I will be upgrading the brakes as you can see my wipeout at the end after a little jump by not having the ability to stop as fast as I needed to avoid it. :D The battery is in there very solidly - that thing will not fall out even on a 10' drop. I'd probably break other parts. That was one concern I had but is not a worry at all anymore.

If you are considering one of these I can probably make another video just let me know what you want to see.

I just bought these...cheapest hydraulic brakes I could find with enough cable and they were 4-piston with great reviews on a few sites as I cross-checked. I'm only a few months into my "MTB education" so I am just figuring out all the parts. I want to be able to completely build a bike from scratch by next summer.

I wasn't sure if anyone took a chance riding these off-road much. I was actually interested in the Moscow Plus early on. I was interested in the higher top gear since I would be using it on rural roads a lot. The thing that turned me off early on was all of the comments about broken spokes and not being able to find replacements.

I'm assuming that you can use the rotors that came with the bike and there is no need to get new shifters?

Thanks those are phenomenal prices. I wanted them ASAP and ordered from the USA. Waiting a month from China is, well, Chinese water torture.

I'm assuming that you can use the rotors that came with the bike and there is no need to get new shifters?

At this point I'm not updating anything...just brakes/handles/cables.

Is there a fix for that? I would like to upgrade but keep that function.
I don't know. It would have to connect electronically to the motor...not sure where those electrical connections are housed as I haven't wanted to break anything open. Are you saying that there is a connection and I just didn't realize it with the stock system?

There's a cable that goes from the left lever to the display. I'm not sure how this could work for other levers and if they need to support it.

There's a cable that goes from the left lever to the display. I'm not sure how this could work for other levers and if they need to support it.

I just noticed that cable from the left brake only. To work effectively you need brake inhibitors on both, right? I grew up on BMX with right brake only so I use the front less often.

One of the things I could not find is someone riding on a trail with an NCM Moscow before I bought mine. I went on faith that it would work just fine and I'm very happy with my NCM Moscow (Standard). So yesterday I went ahead and made a brief video. I apologize in advance for the slight jitter as I don't own a GoPro this was merely my Galaxy 10 on a handlebar mount.

I will be upgrading the brakes as you can see my wipeout at the end after a little jump by not having the ability to stop as fast as I needed to avoid it. :D The battery is in there very solidly - that thing will not fall out even on a 10' drop. I'd probably break other parts. That was one concern I had but is not a worry at all anymore.

If you are considering one of these I can probably make another video just let me know what you want to see.
" I pick myself up, dust myself off, and start all over again" ...sing it!

I don't think the NCM Moscow is great for mountain biking without some changes. I ended up making several changes to use it as a mountain bike and it works well. First off, the front fork is really not great, it is basically a low-end spring shock. I ended up replacing it with a RockShox ReconRLR which is one of the few that would fit. I also ended up putting on some heavy-duty mountain biking tires, Maxxis Assegai Wide trim 3C/TR - 27.5. Many would say the NCM rims are not not wide enough for these tires but I was able to get them on and they work great. Also since I was getting flats fairly often (not the bikes fault) I added Mr. Tuffy Ultra Tire Liners and Slime self-healing tire tubes. I have had this configuration for a year and done a lot of crazy mountain biking over rocky surfaces and not had a flat. I don't carry a pump anymore and haven't had long walks out of trials due to flats. The bike has held together really well other than the battery holder becoming lose. NCM sent me a new screw but I use heavy duty electrical tape to hold the battery in place.

Attachments

• NCM 1.jpg
    NCM 1.jpg
    444.7 KB · Views: 521
I don't think the NCM Moscow is great for mountain biking without some changes. I ended up making several changes to use it as a mountain bike and it works well. First off, the front fork is really not great, it is basically a low-end spring shock. I ended up replacing it with a RockShox ReconRLR which is one of the few that would fit. I also ended up putting on some heavy-duty mountain biking tires, Maxxis Assegai Wide trim 3C/TR - 27.5. Many would say the NCM rims are not not wide enough for these tires but I was able to get them on and they work great. Also since I was getting flats fairly often (not the bikes fault) I added Mr. Tuffy Ultra Tire Liners and Slime self-healing tire tubes. I have had this configuration for a year and done a lot of crazy mountain biking over rocky surfaces and not had a flat. I don't carry a pump anymore and haven't had long walks out of trials due to flats. The bike has held together really well other than the battery holder becoming lose. NCM sent me a new screw but I use heavy duty electrical tape to hold the battery in place.

Nice! The upgrades look great. I need to start looking up how to do my own tune-ups this thing is starting to make noises...and I popped a tire which I heard happens frequently with these bikes.

I am in San Diego as well - hope to run into you some time! I am mostly hitting the trails off the 56 fwy.

The width says 2.5" according to the above link. 2.25" is the standard which I assume you know.

Back