Moscow Plus throttle and pedal delay...

Spartan

Region
Canada
Hi guys, new here so hello to everybody!

Quick background, I'm in my late 60's and giving up my motorcycle. BUT, I still want to ride so I'm getting a good ebike.

Started by buying a Bird ebike from COSCTO but it is too tall and a bit underpowered. It's going back.

Now I'm looking at the MOSCOW PLUS 26" but I think there is an issue. When I test rode it, it has a bit of a response time problem. It can start giving power immediately or it can take as much as two pedals turns before it kicks in. In urban riding, that is a bit problem. If I'm crossing traffic, I need to know I have power on demand.

So the question....is it my impression or is this a common issue on MOSCOW PLUS controllers? Any fixes?

Second question, I was going to by the extra 16 amp battery for $250 instead of the 25 amp for $450. Bigger bang for the money.

So the question.....on a long ride, is there any ill effect of putting the second battery on a rack and carrying it on very long rides?

I really like the bike and having the chance to try one is a big deal. All these online bike deals mean nothing unless one has a chance to ride one. In fact, I tried 3 bikes and the Bird, I like the Moscow Plus the most (with new seat, suspension post, raised stem and street tires). I would of loved to see it with a decent rear suspension, but since I will be 90% street and hard trail, I can compromise.

Thank you for reading my post and I would love to get some responses since I intent to pull the trigger this weekend.

I thought Moscow Plus came only in 27.5 or 29 sizes?!
The delay on my pedal assist is about half revolution, give or take. Maybe yours have a faulty/loose sensor?!
As far as the battery goes, if the voltage is the same it should work. Although, I don't see how it's a better bang for your money.

They come in 26" in Canada.

It was a test bike and I could not check it. My concern is that the salespeople told me that if I don't want a delay I should buy another bike with torque sensor. It's NOT the delay, it's the randomness. I'm fine with half a pedal but not so fine if it varies between half a petal and two pedals.

I'm testing another bike this weekend before I make my decision. I just wanted to know if this was a common problem BEFORE I put up $2,300.

They come in 26" in Canada.

It was a test bike and I could not check it. My concern is that the salespeople told me that if I don't want a delay I should buy another bike with torque sensor. It's NOT the delay, it's the randomness. I'm fine with half a pedal but not so fine if it varies between half a petal and two pedals.

I'm testing another bike this weekend before I make my decision. I just wanted to know if this was a common problem BEFORE I put up $2,300.
There's definitely something wrong with that pedal assist, unless of course you're measuring it while in different gears and assist levels.

There's definitely something wrong with that pedal assist, unless of course you're measuring it while in different gears and assist levels.
Different gears? Hah...i didn't know that.

The Bird has a single speed belt drive and after about 6-7 rides, i find no difference. The Moscow has gears so you're saying that will make a difference.

I wonder if i could rent one (if i can). Hard to find out whats what in a five minute test ride.

I have the Bird and i tried a Aventon, a Moscow and a Milano. The Moscow was the best one although i have to make some easy changes. Big reason is with the huge 25 amp battery or an extra battery i can make those 50-70 mile trips that i no longer can make because of age.

On my standard Moscow the power assist takes about half a turn of the pedals - use a low gear to set off as per a normal bike , and put power assist level above 1 ( 3 or 4 is good ) . The assist level is linked to speed and in level 1 it can cut off assist quickly . I have now fitted a thumb throttle to the display unit and that removes the problem completely - instant power ! I only use it for setting off from stationary but it’s fantastic .

If you are going to be riding mostly roads and doing some pedalling you should be able to get more than 50 miles from your standard Moscow plus battery . I rode 30 miles yesterday on roads and trails with a lot of hills with a well used 14ah battery and still had 50% battery left .

The smart Sam tyres it uses are actually very good on roads as well as trails .

I fitted a suntour suspension seat post , with one of those you really won’t miss full suspension

On my standard Moscow the power assist takes about half a turn of the pedals - use a low gear to set off as per a normal bike , and put power assist level above 1 ( 3 or 4 is good ) . The assist level is linked to speed and in level 1 it can cut off assist quickly . I have now fitted a thumb throttle to the display unit and that removes the problem completely - instant power ! I only use it for setting off from stationary but it’s fantastic .

If you are going to be riding mostly roads and doing some pedalling you should be able to get more than 50 miles from your standard Moscow plus battery . I rode 30 miles yesterday on roads and trails with a lot of hills with a well used 14ah battery and still had 50% battery left .

The smart Sam tyres it uses are actually very good on roads as well as trails .

I fitted a suntour suspension seat post , with one of those you really won’t miss full suspension
Thank you kindly for the detail response.

I have a cheap ($25) shaft-on-spring seatpost now and it's set to respond "only' if the bike hits potholes. Works without feeling that I'm sitting on a spring. BUT it's not the best at smoothing our rough terrain. I'll look at the Suntour even if it's $120.

The tires I have on all the other bikes are Schwable Marathon's. They are low rolling resistance, long wearing and low noise. On the other hand at 25mph constant wind noise cancels everything out. Unless the dealer has any value for the standard tires, I'll start with what's there.

The original thumb throttle position is ridiculous. I'm either switching it to right half throttle grip or taking out the triple crank, making into one 58 or 60 tooth single and putting the thumb throttle on the left. I don't have any hills in the city and few low ones on the trips I take. On the other hand If it all works out and I send another one to Greece, it's a different ball game. There, even a 1000w motor is going to be hard pressed to help me up some of those hills. Joke that it's limited to 250 watts.

Through the years, I bought 4 bikes, still have them all and never bought one without immediately modifying or upgrading it to make it fit my needs.

Thanks again for your input. I'm looking forward to buying the bike on Sunday.

Back