NCM Moscow Trail Ride

Nice! The upgrades look great. I need to start looking up how to do my own tune-ups this thing is starting to make noises...and I popped a tire which I heard happens frequently with these bikes.

I am in San Diego as well - hope to run into you some time! I am mostly hitting the trails off the 56 fwy.

The width says 2.5" according to the above link. 2.25" is the standard which I assume you know.

Hi Dunksalot, I ride off of the 56 too. Yes width is 2.5 but it hasn't been an issue. I ride over by Black Mountain sometimes which has all kinds of jagged rocks, but the Assagai/Mr. Tuffy combination has prevented any flats. I just hit something riding and broke my derailleur so I am in the process of getting it fixed.

how wide are those tires?
2.5"

NCM 2.jpg

Hi Dunksalot, I ride off of the 56 too. Yes width is 2.5 but it hasn't been an issue. I ride over by Black Mountain sometimes which has all kinds of jagged rocks, but the Assagai/Mr. Tuffy combination has prevented any flats. I just hit something riding and broke my derailleur so I am in the process of getting it fixed.
Nice! I had some foot problems and surgery - been off the bike a few months and just finally getting back. My son has taken over my NCM Moscow rendering me back to my analog Diamondback. Being in a cast had me doing lots of research and I'm leaning towards the new Watt Wagons Hydra...but I have to time that request just right with wifey at the price.

I don't think the NCM Moscow is great for mountain biking without some changes. I ended up making several changes to use it as a mountain bike and it works well. First off, the front fork is really not great, it is basically a low-end spring shock. I ended up replacing it with a RockShox ReconRLR which is one of the few that would fit. I also ended up putting on some heavy-duty mountain biking tires, Maxxis Assegai Wide trim 3C/TR - 27.5. Many would say the NCM rims are not not wide enough for these tires but I was able to get them on and they work great. Also since I was getting flats fairly often (not the bikes fault) I added Mr. Tuffy Ultra Tire Liners and Slime self-healing tire tubes. I have had this configuration for a year and done a lot of crazy mountain biking over rocky surfaces and not had a flat. I don't carry a pump anymore and haven't had long walks out of trials due to flats. The bike has held together really well other than the battery holder becoming lose. NCM sent me a new screw but I use heavy duty electrical tape to hold the battery in place.
Why did you say one of the few forks that would fit? I haven’t pulled the forks off mine yet. But the headstock looks like you could fit anything?

I had my local bike shop buy it, see image. You may be able to get it for a lower price online. I bought a 27.5" as recommended by the store. Most bikes currently have tapered head pipes on the forks but the NCM is straight (old school) so that is why there aren't many choices. If you do mountain biking I would highly recommend the switchover. Instead of paying $3K for an electric mountain bike I bought the NCM and added forks, tires and also a Thudbuster seat post. The Thudbuster IMHO gets you half way to rear suspension. Good luck.

1609519185475.png

For future reference and for anyone reading this that is considering an upgrade you can run tapered forks with an adapter.

I don't think so on the NCM. The headset of the frame would need to have an adapter you can take out to enable a larger tube which mine didn't. The space is too narrow for the tapered. If you have a frame that accommodates a taper you can put an adapter for a straight tube because it is smaller. The bike shop confirmed this. Also, there are posts on MTBR about this subject.

Yah, I get what you are saying, that is what is really weird about it. It looks like that from the outside it is tapered but is straight on the inside.

Last edited:
Anybody put Textro hydraulic brakes on a Moscow ? Change from Textro mechanical ?
One of the reasons I spent the extra to get the Moscow Plus... tektro hydraulic 180mm front and rear, cut off to both brakes, slightly better forks, bigger battery... it was worth the extra $240 it cost at the time.
An upgrade should be easy and available, if not cheap. There's a kit that uses your mechanical cable to actuate hydraulic bolt-ons which is cheaper and seems like a good compromise.

I had my local bike shop buy it, see image. You may be able to get it for a lower price online. I bought a 27.5" as recommended by the store. Most bikes currently have tapered head pipes on the forks but the NCM is straight (old school) so that is why there aren't many choices. If you do mountain biking I would highly recommend the switchover. Instead of paying $3K for an electric mountain bike I bought the NCM and added forks, tires and also a Thudbuster seat post. The Thudbuster IMHO gets you half way to rear suspension. Good luck.

View attachment 75690
In the EBR review of the Moscow Plus, a tapered spec is implied, although the stem on this fork is straight, the neck tube is

HEADSET:​

Neco, Integrated, Threadless Internal Cups, Tapered 1-1/8" to 1-1/2"

STEM:​

Promax, Alloy, 90mm Length, 31.8mm Clamp Diameter, One 15mm Spacer, Two 10mm Spacers, One 5mm Spacer

I think there must be an adapter in there somewhere. The XCM fork is straight 1-1/8"

There's a cable that goes from the left lever to the display. I'm not sure how this could work for other levers and if they need to support it.
FYI it's only the left lever on UK or AU bikes, most of the world uses the right lever for the back brakes, wherever you live, it's the lever for the rear brake that needs the inhibitor. I've got a plus, so not an issue for me...

In the EBR review of the Moscow Plus, a tapered spec is implied, although the stem on this fork is straight, the neck tube is

HEADSET:​

Neco, Integrated, Threadless Internal Cups, Tapered 1-1/8" to 1-1/2"

STEM:​

Promax, Alloy, 90mm Length, 31.8mm Clamp Diameter, One 15mm Spacer, Two 10mm Spacers, One 5mm Spacer

I think there must be an adapter in there somewhere. The XCM fork is straight 1-1/8"
Thanks for these specs. Hard to find as they are not provided in the owners manual. I want to upgrade the suntour fork to air on the 27.5 NCM Moscow Plus. Any recommendations? Its a reliable ebike so keen to upgrade the fork.

Hi. Does anyone know exactly what is the maximum front and rear tire width? I would like to buy some Schwalbe Super-Moto x 27.5 tires but I can't figure out the exact width for the front and rear. Best regards!

Hi. Does anyone know exactly what is the maximum front and rear tire width? I would like to buy some Schwalbe Super-Moto x 27.5 tires but I can't figure out the exact width for the front and rear. Best regards!
The fork is "Suntour XCM-HLO-27.5 with oil suspension and lock system"per the manual and I'd guess 2.4" is your max there. But I'd try sending an email to where you bought it - or to leoncycle.com who is a US distributor.

Back