NCM Moscow 29er Power Cut off

Sam0531

Hi! I’m new to this forum. Bought my first E-bike which is NCM Moscow 29er. Only used it for About 6 times and noticed that when the battery power goes down to about 50%, power assist and screen shuts off. If I try to power it back, it will turn off again. I got stuck riding on hilly trail and had to pedal the heavy bike all the way back home. I want to run the power down to 1 bar or completely drain the battery before charging but I end up charging each time is reaches 50%. This happened to me twice. I read in the manual that the battery pack has to be cycled about 3 times to maximize its capacity. Not sure if the issue will go away over time or should I be concerned? Wanted to do a 60 mile trip with pedal assist but it seems like the battery only would allow me to do half. Is there anyone that had this happen to their NCM e bike? E52EC721-8A86-4501-BE3A-77D824F6A573.jpeg

Hi Sam, have you checked what the charge is physically on the battery (the 4 lights) rather than what the display is showing?
I would also double check that all the cables are not damaged and double check they're connected fully.
If you're still having the issue it may be worthwhile calling Leoncycle, if the battery is faulty and holding less than 85% charge in the first couple years they will replace it free of charge but i think there is a cost if the battery isnt defective.

When the battery gets to 50% and power cuts out you could check with a multimeter across the battery pins with the battery disconected to see what the actual voltage reading is. Maybe the controller is reading the battery voltage incorrectly, thinking it has less voltage than it actually has. I would phone dealer you brought it from they may be aware of this issue and send out a replacement part.

Hi Sam, have you checked what the charge is physically on the battery (the 4 lights) rather than what the display is showing?
I would also double check that all the cables are not damaged and double check they're connected fully.
If you're still having the issue it may be worthwhile calling Leoncycle, if the battery is faulty and holding less than 85% charge in the first couple years they will replace it free of charge but i think there is a cost if the battery isnt defective.
There are 2 led lit in the battery When power is shut off. I’ll definitely call Leon about this issue. Thanks

Hi! I’m new to this forum. Bought my first E-bike which is NCM Moscow 29er. Only used it for About 6 times and noticed that when the battery power goes down to about 50%, power assist and screen shuts off. If I try to power it back, it will turn off again. I got stuck riding on hilly trail and had to pedal the heavy bike all the way back home. I want to run the power down to 1 bar or completely drain the battery before charging but I end up charging each time is reaches 50%. This happened to me twice. I read in the manual that the battery pack has to be cycled about 3 times to maximize its capacity. Not sure if the issue will go away over time or should I be concerned? Wanted to do a 60 mile trip with pedal assist but it seems like the battery only would allow me to do half. Is there anyone that had this happen to their NCM e bike?View attachment 57643
Best case, could be a charger issue. Handbook is specific about the sequence. charge: plug battery 1st, then charger;
unplug charger 1st then battery. (don´t ask me why) ALSO, The cord for the charger may not be plugged
all the way into the charger, This has happened to me. Check also connector prongs to see if theyre lose or bent.
Next case, chargers are cheaper than batteries. Maybe a shop could test the charger & battery.Manual is very specific
about charger.

Sorry for the late update: I emailed Douglas of Leon Cycle USA about my issue. All he asked was to send a video to replicate the issue and they sent me a new battery. It took a week to arrive but it was worth it. Now, I am able to fully drain the battery and first use lasted for about 50 miles. Vey good customer service from Leon Cycle.

Sorry for the late update: I emailed Douglas of Leon Cycle USA about my issue. All he asked was to send a video to replicate the issue and they sent me a new battery. It took a week to arrive but it was worth it. Now, I am able to fully drain the battery and first use lasted for about 50 miles. Vey good customer service from Leon Cycle.
Glad to hear that. I´m at 2500+ miles & haven´t need help from Leon, but it´s good to know it´s there.

Hi Andy, I'm a new member and have been checking out this site. I contacted Leon Cycle about a recent battery failure issue on my NCM Moscow with less than 20 charge cycles...but was just out of the 12 month warranty. just after 13 months battery failed. you mentioned a couple years in your reply. no such luck here...but happy Sam was looked after. must have been within the 12 month period. Leon cycle told me the warranty is firm for one year.

Back