My nightmarish experience with Rad Power.

Here is the explosive chemistry of Li with water. Hydrogen is nice until it isn't.
1649096539556.png

I have recently encountered this same issue. I made sure the brake cut off was engaged by pulling both brake levers but on more than one occasion the bike wanted to move on its own, NO pedal movement whatsoever.
Had to lift my bike over a massive tree that fell on a wooden bridge over a swamp. Barely holding my 80lb bike, manouvered over the tree-fall myself and when doing so the bike started to move forward...fak!
It was unnerving to say the least.
Starting to think less and less of iGO bikes as this isn't even close to the only issue I have had in a very very short period of time owning it; in fact it was my first trail ride on it when that started happening.
•fork seals are terrible and spit out a load of oil on my first time out
•bent over half a dozen spokes on the front wheel
•motor engaging without being prompted to do so
•a massive lack of torque on switchback inclines to the point the bike would come to a dead stop

Suck a disappointment, to say the least!

I recently asked my Local Bike Shop - who will work on any ebike unlike many local shops - whether they had any horror stories or feelings on the Rad bikes. They thought they were adequate at best but not particularly bad. Then my contact, the head mechanic asked another guy in the shop - "what was the name of that brand where the bikes are so bad?"

"Lectric"

Oh yeah, those things are really *rough* was his nice way of putting it.
First off.. something he didnt sell... and again for the money.. Its worth it... Had 2 of them for starters... Biggest part? They had zero issues for 500 miles... then the controller went out.. but in its defense I pulled a buggy behind it almost every ride so for it to overheat and pop something isnt unexpected..

Great starter bikes and got my money out of them when I sold.. Cant beat it..

I have recently encountered this same issue. I made sure the brake cut off was engaged by pulling both brake levers but on more than one occasion the bike wanted to move on its own, NO pedal movement whatsoever.
Had to lift my bike over a massive tree that fell on a wooden bridge over a swamp. Barely holding my 80lb bike, manouvered over the tree-fall myself and when doing so the bike started to move forward...fak!
Starting to think less and less of iGO bikes as this isn't even close to the only issue I have had in a very very short period of time owning it; in fact it was my first trail ride on it when that started happening.
•a massive lack of torque on switchback inclines to the point the bike would come to a dead stop

This is a brand of bike that is only distributed within North America in two Canadian cities. It looks and feels very different from a RAD. I have been riding one like this for 3.5 years, hard, daily. It is called Crème. This is a new one. I took it and changed it around and installed a mid-drive, making it electric. It is light and balanced. Does it even look like an electric bike? See the battery?

Attachments

• CremeUno3e.JPG
    CremeUno3e.JPG
    778.7 KB · Views: 191
  • CremeUno3g.JPG
    CremeUno3g.JPG
    347.3 KB · Views: 194
Dude Stop!
Those are sick whips...not even in the same world as my bike(s)

Very very impressed with how slick it looks, like no way of knowing it was an ebike until you look closer and even then its hard to tell for sure, the battery with a cable leading out of the bottom is the only thing that draws your eye. I can't even see the motor.

Like truly Spec bro!

Can't really tell when it's parked with my Scott bikes, but it's a walmart bike I bought for the cheap frame and motor, the rest I changed...and I mean the rest! I had fun painting the frame and installing all new parts. Still weighs 40lbs but thats down 8lbs from the out of the box/off the shelf way it came.

What does a nice ebike like your weigh with the battery?

Attachments

• 20220331_121630.jpg
    20220331_121630.jpg
    342.9 KB · Views: 169
I wonder what is in those cells?

@Kingsley, I will reweigh that bike and get back to you. That is a heavy Thule Tour rack. That battery with that mid-drive added about 10.5 pounds. The larger ones add more. Then I have the fenders. It was a standard MTB with extra-wide flat bars. It does have an air fork and it is a light weigh racing frame.

So if you turned the power off or switch to PAS 0 to disable cadence prior to doing this, you should report it as safety hazard.

If u didn’t do that off seriously WT* !!

@Kingsley, I weighed the slate blue Specialized Chisel with the gravel bar you asked about. It is 41.0 pounds. The Thule Tour Rack weighs 2.4 pounds, so without the rack it comes in at 38.6. With the rack the weight is 22.8 at the rear and 18.2 at the front. It has tire liners, tubes, and tubeless sealant because I do not like flats and it is not race day. Without the rack the weight distribution is very nice.

First off.. something he didnt sell... and again for the money.. Its worth it... Had 2 of them for starters... Biggest part? They had zero issues for 500 miles... then the controller went out.. but in its defense I pulled a buggy behind it almost every ride so for it to overheat and pop something isnt unexpected..

Great starter bikes and got my money out of them when I sold.. Cant beat it..
Yeah but the parts and construction of the bike were crap. Yes they are the bottom of the ladder with regard to price. But you also get what you pay for.

Don't bother casting aspersions on the LBS staff. These are mechanics I know very well and who know budget ebikes very well because they have an open door, no-judgment policy on servicing anything that comes in the door. They've built their business on it in fact and they are swamped as a result - while other shops who have the traditional LBS attitude on ebikes wither.

As an aside... that same LBS will work on any ebike... but you take the battery home with you. They won't allow them in the shop.

Lastly, Remember this: Every time someone buys a UPP battery, God kills a kitten.

Don't trust anyone who does not understand the basics. Kittens are added to the world to balance the negative, not taken away. Have no fear, no kittens are being harmed by the purchase of any e-bike or e-bike component. Any humans harmed by such purchases are technically contributing to depopulation which benefits wildlife.

kittens are added to the world because Mr. Kitty has an itch that only Ms. Kitty can scratch.

Hi all,

Just wanted to share my experience with everyone, to release my frustration but to also warn others.

I got the bike Rad Rover Plus Step-Over beginning February. I took two rides on it, after that, it simply stopped working. When I put the battery in, the headlight and backlights flash and nothing else happens. The bike does not turn on, and nothing changes when pressing the buttons. At this point I thought I was just unlucky, some part got messed up whatever, I can wait two weeks. Well, the bike still does not work... so it has been sitting in my house for 2 months, broken.

Here is how the process goes with the costumer service. I call in, they send parts that take 1.5 weeks to get here, the parts don't work, I call in again, 1.5 weeks for new parts, they don't work rinse and repeat. I have replaced the the controller, both screens, the harness and now I am waiting for the battery mount replacement. It seems to me they clearly do not know what is wrong and are just sending me a replacement bike piece by piece... Not only that, but they keep sending me parts for the WRONG bike. I got parts for Step-Through TWICE, which are not compatible with Step-Over. Hence, each time this happens I essentially wait 3 weeks for a single part.

I was very excited for my first e-bike but this is just sad.
Earlier this month I received my Rad Rover 6+ and when assembled it did the same as yours with just the headlight and back light flashing and then nothing. I never even got to test it out and ride it. I called customer service and they would not approve return and instead sent the controller, which took a week, for me to install. I called again and once again denied a return for this defective piece of junk. They sent the wiring harness without telling me. I filed for a return again and they denied and wanted to send the 2 screens. Like you pointed out they want us to rebuild a defective bike and they don’t know what is wrong with the bike. I am making them take the bike under their 14 day test drive since if you back out the time they shipped parts it is less than 14 days. I have turned over to my credit card company also. I bought my wife a Rad last year and helped friends put their bikes together but I will never recommend this Rad junk and pitiful customer service.

I’ve always been nice to them about parts but did get a supervisor involved over a motor once. Two Radcity total of 11,000 miles with zero problems on one except for broken inflator valve on delivery. Awesome company, just way too busy sometimes.

Pretty impressive battery fire. I guess the problem was that it was impossible to get the cooling water inside the pack, where it could have stopped the progression from cell to cell.

Had to laugh at the comment about the LBS trashing Lectric bikes. Yeah, like they don't get any commission on selling them, and Lectric has sold tens of thousands in just a couple of years.

We took delivery of two XP 2.0 st Lectric bikes last Christmas and love them. I've ridden a lot of bikes over the years and was impressed by these machines. As 7-speed bikes, nothing spectacular, but then there are probably close to a billion bicycles out there. This ain't rocket science. Perfectly functional shifter and brakes, and the welds and paint quality were excellent. Heavy, though, but most of that is from the motor and battery.

Bike arrived fully assembled and adjusted. Brakes were AWFUL. I took out the cables and greased them. Now the mechanical brakes are very good and approaching the sensitivity of hydraulics.

We've added a couple of accessories, but the single most important mod was to replace the stock 14-28 freewheel with an 11-34 one. Changes the whole personality. And the bikes were $1K, a remarkable deal in my opinion.

Stock battery was 500Wh. I see that they now offer a better 670Wh pack.

Great ebikes. Lectric deserves the market share they are getting. I suggest taking any trashing with a grain of salt.

Pretty impressive battery fire. I guess the problem was that it was impossible to get the cooling water inside the pack, where it could have stopped the progression from cell to cell.

Had to laugh at the comment about the LBS trashing Lectric bikes. Yeah, like they don't get any commission on selling them, and Lectric has sold tens of thousands in just a couple of years.

We took delivery of two XP 2.0 st Lectric bikes last Christmas and love them. I've ridden a lot of bikes over the years and was impressed by these machines. As 7-speed bikes, nothing spectacular, but then there are probably close to a billion bicycles out there. This ain't rocket science. Perfectly functional shifter and brakes, and the welds and paint quality were excellent. Heavy, though, but most of that is from the motor and battery.

Bike arrived fully assembled and adjusted. Brakes were AWFUL. I took out the cables and greased them. Now the mechanical brakes are very good and approaching the sensitivity of hydraulics.

We've added a couple of accessories, but the single most important mod was to replace the stock 14-28 freewheel with an 11-34 one. Changes the whole personality. And the bikes were $1K, a remarkable deal in my opinion.

Stock battery was 500Wh. I see that they now offer a better 670Wh pack.

Great ebikes. Lectric deserves the market share they are getting. I suggest taking any trashing with a grain of salt.
Water does little or nothing

Water does little or nothing
From what I've picked up, water is the preferred method for battery fires. You apparently need a lake or at least a pumper truck full of water though. Peeing on the battery will just get your wiener and or buns roasted.

TT

Back