My next e-bike needs to be more winter/hill friendly

VirtuallyMiranda

Region
Canada
I have been riding a RadMini since 2018. While it’s been great in many respects, my use pattern and needs have gradually changed, and certain limitations — as well as its gradually-declining battery life — have become evident. As I start looking for my next bike, I am especially interested in something more winter-friendly, for someone dealing with steep grades, lots of snow/slush/salt/sand and without the ability to bring the bike inside (re: cleaning, battery, etc.).

Here is my list of important criteria:
  • Removable battery
  • Relatively high torque / power for hauling a grocery trailer up a 5-7% grade
  • Carbon belt and internal gear hub
  • At least a moderately high range of gears
  • Stable handling on steep descents at higher speeds
  • Hydraulic brakes
  • Rims for which after-market studded tires are available
Bonus features on the wish list:
  • Lighter weight
  • Available small frame size
  • Fenders, kickstand included
  • Heavy duty rack
  • Integrated headlight and taillight

Not particularly important:
  • High range
  • Anti-theft features
  • Suspension fork
  • Foldability/portability
So far I’ve seen the Zen Samurai and the Specialized Vado. Would love to know of any others that might tick my boxes :)

Miranda

Last edited:
any of the name brand mid drives should fit the bill except for the carbon belt and Hugh gear range. that part is going to be really hard to achieve. but 5 to 7% grade is not very steep.

any of the name brand mid drives should fit the bill except for the carbon belt and Hugh gear range. that part is going to be really hard to achieve. but 5 to 7% grade is not very steep.
It is when it is a 3-mile hill and you are towing a cargo trailer through snow and slush. It’s fine, but I wouldn’t want much less power than the RadMini gives me.

Agree that the carbon belt / IGH are the tough boxes to tick.

It is when it is a 3-mile hill and you are towing a cargo trailer through snow and slush. It’s fine, but I wouldn’t want much less power than the RadMini gives me.

Agree that the carbon belt / IGH are the tough boxes to tick
that should not be an issue really for a mid drive. wife and I tow our grandkid up some very steep hills. the problem with internal hubs is the gearing is not a huge spread unless you get a high end one then thats real serious money 8000.00 or more.
IMG_0540.jpeg

I expect my cargo often weighs more than your grandkid, and there’s only one of me pedalling :)

I’m a decently strong cyclist for my age/gender (road biking is my jam and I train year-round) but when there is significant snow and slush, hills that I wouldn’t give a second thought to most of the year are much harder. On the e-bike I’d estimate it’s like dialing the assist back 2 levels.

I agree that most mid-drive ebikes will likely handle this fine, but I am leery of significantly downsizing the motor when purchasing my next e-bike. Perhaps I’m a weakling, but humour me here.

As to the price point… I’m frugal by nature, but I’m also replacing a car with my e-bike, so am likely saving $10k a year doing that.

I have been riding a RadMini since 2018. While it’s been great in many respects, my use pattern and needs have gradually changed, and certain limitations — as well as its gradually-declining battery life — have become evident. As I start looking for my next bike, I am especially interested in something more winter-friendly, for someone dealing with steep grades, lots of snow/slush/salt/sand and without the ability to bring the bike inside (re: cleaning, battery, etc.).

• Removable battery
  • Hydraulic brakes
  • Lighter weight
  • Heavy duty rack

• High range
  • Anti-theft features
  • Suspension fork
So far I’ve seen the Zen Samurai and the Specialized Vado. Would love to know of any others that might tick my boxes :)

Miranda
I just went from a RadRunner to a Priority Current (might not be available in Canada). It seems to check all your boxes--High torque mid-drive motor, carbon belt drive, with enviolo (or shimano) hub gearing with wide gear range. Hydraulic disc brakes, included fenders & kickstand, integrated lights. 650b rims so accepts mtn bike studded tires. Racks available. Starts at 51 lbs (so lighter than the Rad). Rigid fork.

I've had mine for 2 weeks and have taken two 20 mile rides and a bunch or shorter rides. Enviolo hub takes some getting used to, but there is no hill this bike can't climb. I miss the throttle, but honestly this bike doesn't really need it. I'm still trying to figure out its range. Good luck in your search.

I just went from a RadRunner to a Priority Current (might not be available in Canada). It seems to check all your boxes--High torque mid-drive motor, carbon belt drive, with enviolo (or shimano) hub gearing with wide gear range. Hydraulic disc brakes, included fenders & kickstand, integrated lights. 650b rims so accepts mtn bike studded tires. Racks available. Starts at 51 lbs (so lighter than the Rad). Rigid fork.

I've had mine for 2 weeks and have taken two 20 mile rides and a bunch or shorter rides. Enviolo hub takes some getting used to, but there is no hill this bike can't climb. I miss the throttle, but honestly this bike doesn't really need it. I'm still trying to figure out its range. Good luck in your search.
Thanks for the pointer and the perspective. It looks like they don’t ship outside the contiguous US but I have a daughter living in the Bay Area whom I owe a visit to.

Thanks for the pointer and the perspective. It looks like they don’t ship outside the contiguous US but I have a daughter living in the Bay Area whom I owe a visit to.
I used the link from Costco's US website for significant discount during black friday sale. Came to $2800 all in, and I sold my RadRunner for $750.

There's a bike that pretty much checks all of your boxes, but it is not going to be inexpensive and it is going to need a big shift in mindset. For one, you could likely set aside the trailer. I'm talking about a Bullitt e-cargo bike. Bullitts are regarded as sort of the cyclist's cargo bike. Agile and light weight (for the genre), analog builds can be stupid-light if using road race components. I'm waiting on a frame to arrive now for my 2nd build, and among other things I am using a c/f rear steering tube as well as a dibond cargo floor to shave off a LOT of weight (those things will not mean much to you if you're not familiar with the hardware)

Splendid Cycles in Portland OR is sending me mine, and I am sure there is a dealer north of the border (looks like there are five based on the map at their web site).

The configurator is at the link below. Me personally I build my own with a BBSHD and I would strongly recommend you do the same, although I know thats not everyone's forte. I tone down my BBSHD on this bike so on pedal assist its pumping out a max of about 450w. If I goose the throttle I can get the full 1500w :D

The frame has a break in it for a belt, and their complete bikes include multiple belt/IGH options.

This one is 11s and geared for flat ground. The one I am building will have a 9s pie plate in back and a 40T chainring. Thats a 30 gallon Costco bin in the cargo bay, and you can stack stuff on top and net it down (or remove the bin entirely). Same goes for the panniers. 2 displays on the bars because it also has a front hub motor but don't bother wrapping your brain around that; just look at the possibility of a relatively light and maneuverable cargo bike (mine is not one of those :D).
20221227_155417.jpg

Last edited:
I expect my cargo often weighs more than your grandkid, and there’s only one of me pedalling :)

I’m a decently strong cyclist for my age/gender (road biking is my jam and I train year-round) but when there is significant snow and slush, hills that I wouldn’t give a second thought to most of the year are much harder. On the e-bike I’d estimate it’s like dialing the assist back 2 levels.

I agree that most mid-drive ebikes will likely handle this fine, but I am leery of significantly downsizing the motor when purchasing my next e-bike. Perhaps I’m a weakling, but humour me here.

As to the price point… I’m frugal by nature, but I’m also replacing a car with my e-bike, so am likely saving $10k a year doing that.
yes but its actually easier to climb on my regular bike with the same motor then it is on the tandem. but we can do it on the tandem no problem. we have done short 18% grades.

Some suggestions:

The Dost Drop and Kope CVT models have just the one frame size for riders from 5’7” up so unsure if that would work for you?

Any Riese and Muller bike with Vario CVT option.

Gazelle Ultimate C380 has the Enviolo CVT

Achielle Esmee imported by Curbside Cycle in Toronto, the smaller of the two frames fits riders from 5’4” . Uses an auto-shift (Di2) Shimano Alfine IGH

Last edited:
For one, you could likely set aside the trailer.
But I love my trailer! I tricked it out with blinky signal lights and reflectors and an insulated lockable box. And I like being able to leave it at home when I’m not hauling. 😁 Still, thanks for the suggestion. Who knows how our needs will change going forward.
Some suggestions:

The Dost Drop and Kope CVT models have just the one frame size for riders from 5’7” up so unsure if that would work for you?
Yeah, I’m 5’3” in the morning, and my road bike is a unisex XXS, so that’s probably a stretch. Love your other suggestions though, thanks!

I build my own with a BBSHD and I would strongly recommend you do the same, although I know thats not everyone's forte. I tone down my BBSHD on this bike so on pedal assist its pumping out a max of about 450w. If I goose the throttle I can get the full 1500w
Perfect and sustainable too.

• Removable battery
  • Hydraulic brakes
  • Lighter weight
  • Heavy duty rack

We have a Cargo E-bike in the works with exactly those items.
The rear rack is designed for 150 lbs load, and with the Gates belt drive and IGH, it is quite low-maintenance.

But I love my trailer! I tricked it out with blinky signal lights and reflectors and an insulated lockable box. And I like being able to leave it at home when I’m not hauling.
Dragging 10" diameter wheels through snow & ice is a waste of energy. Little wheels push against the snow. 26" or bigger wheels crush it down. I ride my cargo bike on grocery runs through snow this time of year. It is a frame for 58" to 68" people, but is no longer for sale. I'm adding the shimano 8 speed IGH now. It will not have a belt.

Dragging 10" diameter wheels through snow & ice is a waste of energy. Little wheels push against the snow. 26" or bigger wheels crush it down. I ride my cargo bike on grocery runs through snow this time of year. It is a frame for 58" to 68" people, but is no longer for sale. I'm adding the shimano 8 speed IGH now. It will not have a belt.
They’re 20” wheels (same as my current bike) but point taken.

Take a look at Evelo's offerings. A few here, including Alaskan, give them high marks, especially their top of line ones like Atlas and Omega.
Personally, I avoid winter riding in my area because going down a heavily sanded steep hill is not my cup of tea. OTOH, some of the hills near my house have pitches of close to 20%.

• Removable battery
  • Hydraulic brakes
  • Lighter weight
  • Heavy duty rack

• High range
  • Anti-theft features
  • Suspension fork

Miranda
Sounds familiar, I am riding an etrike/scooter in the winter, have the option of 3 motors for power and also exercise, all wheel drive is great in winter, powers virtually through everything, see my recent post of yesterday and earlier.
Rudy Pekau

Take a look at Evelo's offerings. A few here, including Alaskan, give them high marks, especially their top of line ones like Atlas and Omega.
Personally, I avoid winter riding in my area because going down a heavily sanded steep hill is not my cup of tea. OTOH, some of the hills near my house have pitches of close to 20%.
Thanks for the recommendation. I’ll look into those.

My driveway is 16% and is currently a sheet of ice. I have chains on my tires and made it up this morning, but going down was another matter entirely…I chose to walk through the snow dragging my bike.

Back