My new Fuel Gage arrived.

Wow. That's a good ride! Nice distance and cozy speed.

Well, not really.
I used to get 650 km on a "charge" of gas in my car, and at least 160 km (doing 140 kph) on a "charge" on my 550 Nighthawk and at least 100 km on my Honda XR200R dirt bike.

I like Honda.

I'm thinking of converting to a gas/electric hybrid e-bike with this,.. 😂

Screenshot_20231004-171243_DuckDuckGo.jpg

It'll fit on my rear rack perfectly. 😂

Super efficient, quiet, and clean.

Screenshot_20231006-152407_DuckDuckGo.jpg

It puts out 1000 Watts for 3 hours or 250 Watts for 7 hours.

I could run my e-bike and charge my battery while I'm riding for at least 3 hours on 2 liters of gas that is available everywhere.

Last edited:
How did you lock the throttle? Cruise control?

Sort of.
I have my throttle housing loosely snugged up on the handlebar so it can rotate with some resistance,..
I've got skateboard deck tape glued to the throttle housing to grip it.

Zero throttle. The thumb lever isn't touching the shifter lever,..

20231006_175402.jpg

Throttle first engaged, 6 kph 100 Watts.

20231006_175511.jpg
20231006_180345.jpg

Throttle locked at about half,..

20231006_180421.jpg

Throttle locked at full snort.
Over 1200 Watts with a fully charged battery and everything turned up to max on my display. I've only done it once.

20231006_180428.jpg

Last edited:
I've got another gauge to install,..

It converts almost any DC voltage input into almost any DC voltage output,..
1200 Watt maximum output.
Fully adjustable.

20231006_202000.jpg

And I've got an Ampmeter/Watt Meter/Watt Hour Meter to install too,..

20231006_204418.jpg
20231006_204705.jpg

All these stupid meters are making me a slave to my e-bike.

I wish I didn't have to care about my mileage, but I can be lucky to get 65 km on a charge if the wind is working with me.

My car would go 10 times as far on a full charge of gas and there are gas stations everywhere.
Good luck finding an outlet to spend 7 hours plugged in.

Wow. Dude! Busy guy over there.

The generator. Yes, Honda. Those are super quiet, but at that price you might be better off getting a wicked 2nd battery to fill the bike triangle. 👍

That ammeter, I have a similar one. The negative goes through the shunt and the positive is paralleled to the shunt. If yours wires up this way, you can put a switch/toggle/button in between the Bat+ and the shunt +. This will turn on the meter. I was thinking of hiding the button under my seat, but wires would give it away.

I was briefly looking a fingerprint, or NFC, switch. It would be nice to not have a key, but these options are more than I’m willing to spend for what I would get. Some VSETT scooters have this feature and aliexpress has those switches.

I like your idea about the throttle. I had an O ring that was way too tight and was wedging itself too far in to the metal and would push the hand grip outward. It worked great, for a while, but quickly fell out of adjustment.

I like your idea about the throttle. I had an O ring that was way too tight and was wedging itself too far in to the metal and would push the hand grip outward. It worked great, for a while, but quickly fell out of adjustment.
I use this device to hold a throttle position:

It's meant for motorcycles but works well on twist grip e-bike throttles as well.

How did you lock the throttle? Cruise control?

The KT display does have cruise control, but it sucks.

Screenshot_20231007-114701_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

You have to hold the down button for 3 seconds while holding the throttle completely steady which is really hard to do on bumpy roads and trails.

I couldn't get it to set at less 9 kph which was too fast for some rough trails, and if you touch the brakes, throttle or any button, it gets canceled and you have to reset it again.

FINALLY!! I can ride my bike and read AT THE EXACT SAME TIME!!! Awesome!

Seriously, that’s a great idea. I have broken hangers!

Wow. Dude! Busy guy over there.

Mostly just ideas, not much action though. 😂

The generator. Yes, Honda. Those are super quiet, but at that price you might be better off getting a wicked 2nd battery to fill the bike triangle. 👍

I've got my original Das-Kit 21ah 48 volt battery that I'm thinking about attaching to the bike.

It kinda fits in the triangle but I don't know how to safely mount it? And it sticks up kinda high.

20231007_121858.jpg

I've got an old VCR case from the 90's and the battery fits perfectly inside with a snug fit. The box is solid and well cushioned.

20231007_121954.jpg

I'm thinking of mounting the box to the rear rack.
It would have to be moved back and would be sticking out because the suspension seat would hit the box when the suspension post compresses.

I guess that I could mount it on the side of the rack like a pannier?

That ammeter, I have a similar one. The negative goes through the shunt and the positive is paralleled to the shunt. If yours wires up this way, you can put a switch/toggle/button in between the Bat+ and the shunt +. This will turn on the meter. I was thinking of hiding the button under my seat, but wires would give it away.

The ammeter is more involved to install because I need to splice into the main power wire and figure out how and where to mount the shunt.

I'm going to save that project for the winter when I won't be riding.

I might be converting to XT60 connectors for my batteries but I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet?

I've got the connectors though,..

Screenshot_20231007-123820_AliExpress.jpg

Keep this shrink tube in mind for your controller installation,..

Screenshot_20231007-123918_AliExpress.jpg

It's got a 4:1 shrink ratio and has glue inside. Normal shrink tube is 2:1 and doesn't have glue.
The shrink tube is big enough to fit over a connector then shrink down small enough to snug up on the wires coming out, then the glue seals the connection.

I was briefly looking a fingerprint, or NFC, switch. It would be nice to not have a key, but these options are more than I’m willing to spend for what I would get. Some VSETT scooters have this feature and aliexpress has those switches.

I might not need a switch if I can turn off the ammeter with the buttons on the display?
I'm not sure if it works that way though?
I've got a really nice switch though if I need it. It's for a motorcycle. It's all aluminum and fully waterproof.

20231007_125525.jpg

I'm really liking how my throttle/cruise control is working.
I can set it at any speed from 3kph to my maximum of 32kph.
I'm really used to it now and can operate it without looking or thinking.

I just have to make sure I turn it down to throttle gear 0 before I let go of the brake.
I messed up a bunch of times when I got the built in KT cruise control mixed up with my throttle cruise control.

I turned the cruise control off on my display so I don't get mixed up anymore.

FWIW
I made my cruise control from my left hand 1/2 twist throttle,
when I put it together there was a plastic tubular pipe with a flange on it,
with no instructions, on how or where to mount/attach this piece, so I left it off..
I have since learned that this plastic collar/pipe fits inside the top part of the bottom grip, so the spring can closed/shutoff the throttle, in normal operation.

I installed the 1/2 twist Bafang part first then installed the other part of the throttle, on the end of the handlebar grip, (I had to drill out the end of the grip,
to fit my end bar mirror inside the handle part grip).

I Tighten down and then slide the throttle part down against the bottom part of the grip, with moderate pressure between both these parts.

When the top part was twisted open (to run) it would stay open,
and even the vibration of a wash board road would not shut down the throttle,
but I could twist closed the throttle if needed, very Easley.

I have found that I have increased my mileage slightly when riding with the throttle, oven long distances of 10/20 miles or longer.. as I can set the cruise control to the same wattage as used when pedaling without the throttle.
YMMV,
Don

.. as I can set the cruise control to the same wattage as used when pedaling without the throttle.
YMMV,
Don

I was hoping to be able to lock in a power setting of whatever I chose using the throttle, but it doesn't really work that way on my KT controller.

It's both speed and power based "throttle gears".
When I set it to first throttle gear, the power is limited to about 125 Watts maximum (20% of my maximum 12.5 amps) but it still locks in on a speed.

First throttle gear only goes 6 kph maximum but it doesn't need 125 Watts to go that fast unless I'm going up a hill, into a strong headwind, or accelerating, so my power output is always bouncing around to maintain any speed that I have set.

I was trying to get this potentiometer/motor controller working using @6zfshdb 's circuit diagram but I was having trouble getting it to operate properly, then I realized that couldn't use it to lock in a constant power output to my motor with my KT controller/display.

20230408_014228.jpg

I was hoping to set an output power of about 200 Watts continuous and just ride along at whatever speed it goes with that amount of power.

@6zfshdb 's cruise control locks in a power setting with his controller, but I have to keep checking my Watt meter to see what the power is.

My Watt meter on my display is weighted or averaged and gives a reading every second or so, but it doesn't show the peak power surges.

Batteries are supposed to get the longest range when the power output is steady without any spikes, but my power output is bouncing around all over the place. 😂

I was hoping to set an output power of about 200 Watts continuous and just ride along at whatever speed it goes with that amount of power.

@6zfshdb 's cruise control locks in a power setting with his controller, but I have to keep checking my Watt meter to see what the power is.

My Watt meter on my display is weighted or averaged and gives a reading every second or so, but it doesn't show the peak power surges.

Batteries are supposed to get the longest range when the power output is steady without any spikes, but my power output is bouncing around all over the place. 😂
Interesting.

If your throttle is a "standard" 3 wire hall sensor, the circuit I posted should emulate it exactly and you should be able to maintain a fairly constant output wattage. I do get some minor variations in wattage with slope changes on my controller but they never exceed 10%. The ground speed also varies with slope when using the circuit. This is normal with most DC motors.

Check your resistors. The fixed resistors should have a 5% tolerance (gold band on the body) and the variable resistor must be good quality with no "noise" or flat spots.

There could be something in the KT controller which causes the irregularity you mention but I don't understand what it could be. Maybe your throttle isn't a true 3 wire hall effect sensor? Can you maintain a constant wattage by holding the throttle in a fixed position? If so, does it vary with speed change due to slope?

The digital wattmeter could also be misleading you. An analog meter would give you an average instead of the instantaneous digital readings.

As you know, a true cruise control will vary the wattage output to maintain a constant speed and compensate for head wind or slope change. My circuit will not do this.

Last edited:
Interesting.

If your throttle is a "standard" 3 wire hall sensor, the circuit I posted should emulate it exactly and you should be able to maintain a fairly constant output wattage.

I didn't get past the testing phase and I was using the +5V from the controller to power it.

20231008_114916.jpg

Screenshot_20230311-115857_DuckDuckGo.jpg

It was during the testing phase when I was riding with a bafang thumb throttle locked with a piece of tape and watched my Watt meter and it was all over the place.
That's when I abandoned the project. 😂

I do get some minor variations in wattage with slope changes on my controller but they never exceed 10%. The ground speed also varies with slope when using the circuit. This is normal with most DC motors.

It's not my motor, it's my controller trying to maintain a set speed and bouncing the power all over the place.

The "Imitation Torque Control" is still being used to limit the maximum power used to maintain a speed, and I REALLY like the control that I have over the maximum power, but I rarely need maximum power to maintain a set speed.
If the speed can't be reached with the set power output, then you slow down.

Check your resistors. The fixed resistors should have a 5% tolerance (gold band on the body) and the variable resistor must be good quality with no "noise" or flat spots.

I had the 5K varistors to adjust the ~0.8V and ~4.0V limits until I got a throttle fault on both, so I could set both limits to maximum to get full range out of my "throttle" (motor controller potentiometer), but I couldn't get maximum speed and I never did figure it out.

I measured all the voltages while operating both the bafang thumb throttle and my test throttle and they were the same, but I couldn't get full throttle out of my test throttle?

I just read this post of yours from your cruise control thread,..

"From a purely electrical perspective, there should be no reason why you couldn't use a 2 pole switch and common ground. However, when I tried it during my experiments, the throttle behavior became erratic. I can only guess but it appears there are eddy currents involved which affected the hall effect sensor. Isolating the ground return solved the problem. This may only happen with my particular bike/controller combination though, and a 2 pole switch may work fine on other bikes."

I may have had something like that going on?

It's that damn Eddy Currents guy.
He's an ass. 😂

,.. Can you maintain a constant wattage by holding the throttle in a fixed position?

Only if I'm going up hill, into the wind or accelerating.

The digital wattmeter could also be misleading you. An analog meter would give you an average instead of the instantaneous digital readings.

The wattmeter on the KT display is giving an average.
It's got that AI logarithmic crap going on which muffles the peaks and REALLY muffles the valleys.

I rode up a steep hill at full power (about 700 Watts) and hit the brake to kill the power.
It took ten seconds for the watt meter to finally read zero.

I was looking into analog ammeters and the specs were saying <3 seconds and my Fuel Gauge is FAST! When I turn it on the needle jumps to full in about ¼ second.

As you know, a true cruise control will vary the wattage output to maintain a constant speed and compensate for head wind or slope change.

I guess that I've got a true cruise control except that the power is limited to my settings (and choice of throttle gear/speed).

I suppose that I can get a tiny KT controller that needs full power to maintain any speed, but it is nice how I can crank my power up to over 1300 Watts to play in the 💩. 😂

My circuit will not do this.

I want your circuit.
I will need your controller and display.
Wanna trade ? 😂

I can't begin to guess what's going on with the KT controller. It looks like a mechanical throttle holding device will be your best bet.
I wish I could be more help.

I can't begin to guess what's going on with the KT controller.

Yeah, I've been doing a lot of guessing and messing around and not paying attention or keeping notes. 😂

It looks like a mechanical throttle holding device will be your best bet.

I like how it's more KISS
It's a simple spring loaded mechanical device.
Chasing electrical Gremlins is a lot harder than an obvious mechanical failure.

I wish I could be more help.

You've helped HUGE!!
If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't know that you can emulate a HAL sensor.

I can always get back to that throttle project and figure it out.
It probably just needs 3 button cell batteries?
The dial does have WAY more movement to it from min to max.

4 bucks,..
I didn't need it in 2 weeks.
I spent 4 months thinking about it anyway. 😂

Screenshot_20231008-154014_AliExpress.jpg

Screenshot_20231008-154045_AliExpress.jpg

Screenshot_20231008-154234_AliExpress.jpg

I wonder if that knob is like the old analog radio knobs? It'll be a semi-circular post with a flat. With that, you might be able to add a paddle, or something else that may be easier to turn with your thumb/finger.

I wonder if that knob is like the old analog radio knobs? It'll be a semi-circular post with a flat. With that, you might be able to add a paddle, or something else that may be easier to turn with your thumb/finger.

Actually, it worked perfectly installed like this,..

20230408_014228.jpg

I could reach down and rotate the knob with the edge of my thumb without moving the rest of my hand on the handlebar grip.

The dial has a really good weighted, smooth feel to it.
It doesn't feel like a cheap piece of plastic.

I might not need a switch if I can turn off the ammeter with the buttons on the display?
The headlight function. Do you use it? You can take the positive and run it to your ammeter, to activate it. The shunt needs to be between the battery and the controller, but the positive voltage could come from any source. Why not the headlight source? Then you activate the ammeter with your display controls. :)

The headlight function. Do you use it? You can take the positive and run it to your ammeter, to activate it. The shunt needs to be between the battery and the controller, but the positive voltage could come from any source. Why not the headlight source? Then you activate the ammeter with your display controls. :)

OK, great idea. 👍🏻👍🏻
The voltmeter is already plugged into the headlight output.

I can switch both the ammeter and voltmeter on and off with the displays' headlight switch, and they will automatically shut off when I turn off the display.

My headlight output is only ~200 ma, but I'm sure the two meters draw far less than that.

Back