My Espin Sport

So I’ve had my bike since Sept, and have about 150 miles on it. I’ve had at least 6 separate incidents of spokes breaking on the rear hub. The first time was at about 50 total miles on the bike, at which point I found about half of my spokes loose on that hub. I tightened them all (note that the tool sent with the bike didn’t fit the spoke nipples! I had to file it down at least 1mm after getting home from being stranded). Now they continue to break here and there, and I am not riding off road. I hit a bump, snap. A broken spoke fell into my gears, under the chain, and jammed the wheel while riding, and I wrecked in a traffic circle. Scary, but all human parts are OK, if a bit bruised. I have now bought extra spokes that I had to have custom made, and carry them with me. I also just bought a spoke tensioning tool. It’s getting expensive and I’m having to learn to maintain the bike in a way I’ve never had to maintain my old bikes. Maybe dealer set-up in the beginning would’ve added value. I have to learn how to true a wheel now... Anyone else experiencing spoke issues? The pic is the collection of broken spokes, with my odometer below it.

Attachments

• 88D4D5EE-67B7-4806-9CD0-9117FFC828BF.jpeg
    88D4D5EE-67B7-4806-9CD0-9117FFC828BF.jpeg
    195.3 KB · Views: 377
I had loose rear spokes on my Sport but once tightened up, I have no other issues... especially not breaking.

What is the tire pressure you are using on your rear wheel and what type of load is it carrying? Are you putting something heavy on the rear rack?

I had loose rear spokes on my Sport but once tightened up, I have no other issues... especially not breaking.

What is the tire pressure you are using on your rear wheel and what type of load is it carrying? Are you putting something heavy on the rear rack?
It’s carrying me, at 250lb. Nothing more. I have fluctuated tire pressure about 15psi between breaks, but within specs, and same outcome.

So I’ve had my bike since Sept, and have about 150 miles on it. I’ve had at least 6 separate incidents of spokes breaking on the rear hub. The first time was at about 50 total miles on the bike, at which point I found about half of my spokes loose on that hub. I tightened them all (note that the tool sent with the bike didn’t fit the spoke nipples! I had to file it down at least 1mm after getting home from being stranded). Now they continue to break here and there, and I am not riding off road. I hit a bump, snap. A broken spoke fell into my gears, under the chain, and jammed the wheel while riding, and I wrecked in a traffic circle. Scary, but all human parts are OK, if a bit bruised. I have now bought extra spokes that I had to have custom made, and carry them with me. I also just bought a spoke tensioning tool. It’s getting expensive and I’m having to learn to maintain the bike in a way I’ve never had to maintain my old bikes. Maybe dealer set-up in the beginning would’ve added value. I have to learn how to true a wheel now... Anyone else experiencing spoke issues? The pic is the collection of broken spokes, with my odometer below it.
I've had no problems with spokes, but I weigh a hundred pounds less than you . Perhaps Espin's specced capacity [275#] is inflated. Have you contacted the company?

Does anyone have a clue on if it would be possible to switch out the current Sport display for the dpc 18 from Bafang?

Does anyone have a clue on if it would be possible to switch out the current Sport display for the dpc 18 from Bafang?
Bafang's website: "The Bafang DPC-18 LCD Display is compatible with Bafang mid-drive motors (BBS01/BBS02/BBSHD)."

Okay I'm pretty certain I am going to order my son a sport for Christmas. I previously asked you if there was a way to limit the speed because I don't want him going as fast as he would like.... But this question is more aesthetic, he prefers the black to the blue but he's not a big fan of the yellow Espin writing on the frame. Does anyone know if this is a easily removable sticker? Thanks

Yes, and they sent me 6 spokes. I haven’t followed up yet but will this weekend.
I was curious how you made out with your spokes? I was planning on getting a sport for my son for Christmas, fwiw I have a ride1up 700 series and have had issues with spokes. Thankfully I haven't had any break, knock on wood, but I weigh 225 and when I give a sudden burst of torque with the throttle I will occasionally get an unwelcome sound. I'm not sure if it's where the spokes attach to the wheel or where they cross each other under tension. I have tightened them numerous times, sometimes to factory specs, and then done the best I could to true the wheel after using the zip tie method but I still get The sound occasionally.
it's good to hear they shipped you new spokes at least. In my experience the few bike shops around me I've contacted don't seem to be interested in even looking at a mail order bike. One of my fears isn't that I won't be able to fix it it's that I won't be able to get the parts I need or even know which parts to order.

Okay I'm pretty certain I am going to order my son a sport for Christmas. I previously asked you if there was a way to limit the speed because I don't want him going as fast as he would like.... But this question is more aesthetic, he prefers the black to the blue but he's not a big fan of the yellow Espin writing on the frame. Does anyone know if this is a easily removable sticker? Thanks
On my blue sport, Espin is painted on.

The Espin bikes are currently having a big sale that ends Monday. Use discount code THANKFUL and get additional $50 off the sale price. So $ 1,050.00 for the Sport with code I think.

I just looked at my Espin logo and I kinda like it! I guess if it really bugs someone they could either take a Sharpie and fill in the logo or buy the 3m tape and wrap it...

Fortunately, the stickers on the fork come off easily.

Back