My Espin Sport

The Tire Size one is supposed to say Wd but shows L J d. The other screen is voltage size (or battery capacity?)... and it looks like Bu0.

Found this manual for Bafang displays:

.... from a previous forum posting:

Since I'm not at my friend's house I can't test this but it does look like you can go from PAS 5 to other levels (3, 7 and 9) once you get into the password protected settings. I think that's also where you can remove the 20mph speed limiter too.
I have successfully gotten into the settings and adjusted the password protected parameters. There’s a pdf posted in this thread that helped me figure it out. Be careful if you mess around and take photos af each screen so you can reset anything tou change. I adjusted my espin sport to have 8 levels of assist. It’s not faster...just more assist levels. There are settings for voltage (don’t mess), tire size, etc. see the pdf. I might adjust tire size to see if i get more speed if the computer think i have bigger wheels.

Your battery will last longer also.
I have successfully gotten into the settings and adjusted the password protected parameters. There’s a pdf posted in this thread that helped me figure it out. Be careful if you mess around and take photos af each screen so you can reset anything tou change. I adjusted my espin sport to have 8 levels of assist. It’s not faster...just more assist levels. There are settings for voltage (don’t mess), tire size, etc. see the pdf. I might adjust tire size to see if i get more speed if the computer think i have bigger wheels.
Is there a reset mode to reset to default in case you make a mistake?

Wouldn't you want the computer set for smaller diameter tires if you want a higher top speed? It most likely meters rpm.

The Sport tires and owners manual indicates tire pressure between and 40 and 65. Seems like a pretty big range. Any tips from anyone on what pressure would be ideal for street and bike path riding?

The Sport tires and owners manual indicates tire pressure between and 40 and 65. Seems like a pretty big range. Any tips from anyone on what pressure would be ideal for street and bike path riding?
I inflate to the max, then reinflate when the tires feel squishy. 65 will give lowest rolling resistance. 40 will give a softer ride.

Anybody notice the battery charger gets very hot? Before I used the battery the first time I charged it and it took about an hour and a half to get a full charge. I waited until I had two bars left to recharge it and it took 5 1/2 hours to recharge and turn green. That’s when I noticed that the charger was very hot to the touch.

Ok, longest ride of my Sport career today as I went around 30 miles from my home at the base of the mountains to my sons home in Palm Desert (approx 14 miles one way)

Here are my observations:

1. I love having a throttle-I used at most dead stops but also used for an extended period in my last 5 mile leg home. It was over 100 degrees, slightly uphill and I was done and tired of pedaling for awhile. Say what the ebike snobs/purists want about middrives-I want a throttle just for that reason. When I want a break, I want a break. My Bulls Iconic dream may be on hold.

2. My Lectric XP has a voltage indicator on the display and my Sport does not. Looking at 1 bar coming home was not comforting. I am going to charge my battery full till the charger turns bright green from now on-if my battery gets out of balance, I will buy a new one.

3. I would like my handlebars up a little higher as even with my stem maxed out on the angle (30-40 degrees) the hunch for 30 miles becomes uncomfortable.

Other than that, it was a great ride. Special thanks to Shana at Bubbas Bones and Brews in Cat City for my pit stop beers :)

Attachments

• Bubbas.jpg
    Bubbas.jpg
    397.2 KB · Views: 327
  • Modelo.jpg
    Modelo.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 341
Ok, longest ride of my Sport career today as I went around 30 miles from my home at the base of the mountains to my sons home in Palm Desert (approx 14 miles one way)

1. I love having a throttle-I used at most dead stops but also used for an extended period in my last 5 mile leg home. It was over 100 degrees, slightly uphill and I was done and tired of pedaling for awhile. Say what the ebike snobs/purists want about middrives-I want a throttle just for that reason. When I want a break, I want a break. My Bulls Iconic dream may be on hold.

2. My Lectric XP has a voltage indicator on the display and my Sport does not. Looking at 1 bar coming home was not comforting. I am going to charge my battery full till the charger turns bright green from now on-if my battery gets out of balance, I will buy a new one.

3. I would like my handlebars up a little higher as even with my stem maxed out on the angle (30-40 degrees) the hunch for 30 miles becomes uncomfortable.

Other than that, it was a great ride. Special thanks to Shana at Bubbas Bones and Brews in Cat City for my pit stop beers :)

The espin manual says the battery works best when charged often. "It is always a good idea to charge the battery," it reads.

Perhaps cruiser handlebars like on the flow would suit your riding style better.

I like everything else about the bike. I'm just too lazy to install new bars. I'm still delaying installing the Pedal extenders that would take me about 3 minutes...

I like everything else about the bike. I'm just too lazy to install new bars. I'm still delaying installing the Pedal extenders that would take me about 3 minutes...
Have you found that the sport pedals do not spin freely? I am considering replacing mine.

Have you found that the sport pedals do not spin freely? I am considering replacing mine.

I am not crazy about clipping my left heel on the kickstand. I bought pedal extenders to remedy the issue but have not put them on yet...

I got these for $15 at Walmart:

6D7179EC-6120-4237-8ED2-AC9EC4444069.jpeg

Haven’t tried them yet either. :)

@Taylor57 I really think BMX handlebars will work and will look pretty cool.

Last edited:
Has anyone upgraded their charger for their Sport yet? I've noticed that when I charge Sport, the charger gets super duper hot as in you can barely touch it. I am looking at chargers with fans from Aliexpress. Thoughts?

Has anyone upgraded their charger for their Sport yet? I've noticed that when I charge Sport, the charger gets super duper hot as in you can barely touch it. I am looking at chargers with fans from Aliexpress. Thoughts?
I'd talk with espin before using a different charger. Mine gets warm, but not enough to concern me.

Back