My Espin Sport

I was playing with it... there is 1 or 2 screens not in the manual. I think one was for tire size.

The Tire Size one is supposed to say Wd but shows L J d. The other screen is voltage size (or battery capacity?)... and it looks like Bu0.

Found this manual for Bafang displays:

.... from a previous forum posting:

Since I'm not at my friend's house I can't test this but it does look like you can go from PAS 5 to other levels (3, 7 and 9) once you get into the password protected settings. I think that's also where you can remove the 20mph speed limiter too.

The Tire Size one is supposed to say Wd but shows L J d. The other screen is voltage size (or battery capacity?)... and it looks like Bu0.

Found this manual for Bafang displays:

.... from a previous forum posting:

Since I'm not at my friend's house I can't test this but it does look like you can go from PAS 5 to other levels (3, 7 and 9) once you get into the password protected settings. I think that's also where you can remove the 20mph speed limiter too.
very interesting. let us know if you can confirm this with your friend’s bike.

C'mon, you were talking about how the larger number of PAS levels give you more granular control of the power of R1U bikes to make up for any difference in non-power assisted effort due to tire size difference.

How can daily analog riding be proof of that?

Riding an analog bike and an ebike has differences and nuances you can't be entirely aware of until you've ridden said ebike from that particular brand.

Again, there is no right or wrong here... just personal preferences and opinions.
I will just have to disagreee with you completely. I am right, and it has nothing to do with a preference or opinion. Here is the post I made, which you had responded to, which are facts, not opinions, and they do not require anyone to have ridden a specific bike:

GenXrider said:

There are many other factors at play in determining how fast you ride besides tire width, even with other tire characteristics themselves. And you can always use more muscle power or assist power - really easy on an e-bike. The Ride1Up bikes give you granular control over your power.

Again, no opinions or preferences, just facts.

That's the point innit?: " 0 PAS is actually okay even with the extra weight and obviously PAS 1 and 2 are fast" . Not looking for your wrath but after seeing that 0 is "ok" and 1 is fast can you honestly say you wouldn't like to be able to adjust the assistance? Whether it's worth the extra $250 or not is another story. I figured that combined with better tires and the extra gear ( which might offset that "lower range" from the wider tires). You ask GenXrider how he can know that the adjustable levels can have more granular control? Easy. Because it's scientific fact, if you have the ability to adjust you have control if you don't then you can't
Exactly. I just responded to his other post before I read your reply. Some people just can't accept facts and come up with silly arguments in trying to defend their choices.

Hum, I just looked it up. Must have looked at wrong bike or they changed it from before. Anyway, Sport is 55 lbs.
No, it hasn't changed. This is one of the things I've commented on somewhat regularly that the 700 was heavier, but worth it.

My son has a 500, not a 700. We put an aftermarket chain guide on his 500. He has not ridden it yet since we added the chain guide.
Why not? Is he still recovering from the injuries or afraid to get back on the horse? I have seen very few comments about chains coming off on Ride1Up bikes. LumpyDog said his chain only came off once, and it was from hitting a really large bump. Hopefully, the chain guard resolves the issue with your son's bike.

Exactly. I just responded to his other post before I read your reply. Some people just can't accept facts and come up with silly arguments in trying to defend their choices.

Relax. No one is calling your posts silly. What I was referring to is this particular statement:

The Ride1Up bikes give you granular control over your power.

Until you actually own and ride one, you won't know exactly how "granular" that control is and how the tire size actually affects speed in comparison to other tires/bikes. Overall, the general assumption is that wider tires are slower due to wider surface contact... that's just physics so not sure why that's now silly.

And if you've read my posts, I'm not trying to defend anything, just saying what my opinion is. We get it, you prefer R1U bikes even though you don't own one yet... and you know quite a bit about them due to the Facebook group... and you know more about regular bikes because you ride them daily... but I don't think it's fair to discount others' opinions as silly because again, we all have our preferences and biases.

Let's just disagree and move on.

Relax. No one is calling your posts silly. What I was referring to is this particular statement:

Until you actually own and ride one, you won't know exactly how "granular" that control is and how the tire size actually affects speed in comparison to other tires/bikes. Overall, the general assumption is that wider tires are slower due to wider surface contact... that's just physics so not sure why that's now silly.

And if you've read my posts, I'm not trying to defend anything, just saying what my opinion is. We get it, you prefer R1U bikes even though you don't own one yet... and you know quite a bit about them due to the Facebook group... and you know more about regular bikes because you ride them daily... but I don't think it's fair to discount others' opinions as silly because again, we all have our preferences and biases.

Let's just disagree and move on.
I'm not looking to argue about the bikes just Make a point about tires in general. A wider tire doesn't necessarily have a greater contact area, the profile of the tire factors in as well. Also regarding speed and resistance there are numerous other factors like the compound of the tire, the tread pattern etc. So while all else being equal a wider tire will have a greater contact area and more resistance You can't really know the difference between two tires without a scientific test

I'm not looking to argue about the bikes just Make a point about tires in general. A wider tire doesn't necessarily have a greater contact area, the profile of the tire factors in as well. Also regarding speed and resistance there are numerous other factors like the compound of the tire, the tread pattern etc. So while all else being equal a wider tire will have a greater contact area and more resistance You can't really know the difference between two tires without a scientific test

I agree... that's why I said it was a general assumption. Just like you can't really know how granular PAS customization interacts with tire size until you actually own the bike and ride it. :)

It's really not a big deal to me... we all like what we like... just from my interaction with my friend's Sport this weekend, I can tell you a few things I don't really like but maybe when I get my Sport, I can figure out if I can live with them.

I agree... that's why I said it was a general assumption. Just like you can't really know how granular PAS customization interacts with tire size until you actually own the bike and ride it. :)

It's really not a big deal to me... we all like what we like... just from my interaction with my friend's Sport this weekend, I can tell you a few things I don't really like but maybe when I get my Sport, I can figure out if I can live with them.
curious to hear what you don't like about the Sport? thanks.

I like both bikes, almost got the sport. But I kinda know you have granular control because you can adjust the exact percentage. You can't get much more granular than that, unless you had control down to 0.5%

Can you tell us what you didn't like on your friends Sport. I won't get my Espin until Oct but I'd like to hear what bothered you. Thanks.

After 2 or 3 rides, I really am enjoying the Sport. The front end over small bumps is night and day compared to the suspensionless XP. I will say, I miss my Suntour seatpost for my rear end, but all in all, on the streets and bike paths, this bike is perfect. Each ride gets less noisy, probably due to brakes wearing in etc. The shifting has been fine and the brakes will stop you on a dime. It is very easy to cruise at 25 in 8th gear PAS 5 on flat ground. I almost hit 28 today...

I like both bikes, almost got the sport. But I kinda know you have granular control because you can adjust the exact percentage. You can't get much more granular than that, unless you had control down to 0.5%

Sorry to be clueless, but what is granular control?

Back