My 700 is not hacking it in Yuma. Going to order a Juiced Rip Current S w/4" tires

tlippy

My first ride in Yuma was downtown along the Colorado River on asphalt. Was a great ride but short. Next ride was with a friend on the Sugarloaf Peak Off-road Trail. He had a 2 year old Juiced w/4" tires. The trail is just an old roadbed, packed gravel mostly with some sections of soft sand. Pretty terrain, flat and following along the Colorado River wetlands. My 700's tires weren't up to the task. The Rip's 4" tires handled the terrain much better. The Rip has Torque, Cadence, Throttle, 52V 19AH battery, 750W Bafang Rear Hub, class 3, 35-100 mile range on a full charge, rear rack + fenders. Couldn't find any other 4" tired bike with better specs. $2200. Comments?

Different bikes for different uses... go for it. I don't go of road and very satisfied with the power and speed.

My first ride in Yuma was downtown along the Colorado River on asphalt. Was a great ride but short. Next ride was with a friend on the Sugarloaf Peak Off-road Trail. He had a 2 year old Juiced w/4" tires. The trail is just an old roadbed, packed gravel mostly with some sections of soft sand. Pretty terrain, flat and following along the Colorado River wetlands. My 700's tires weren't up to the task. The Rip's 4" tires handled the terrain much better. The Rip has Torque, Cadence, Throttle, 52V 19AH battery, 750W Bafang Rear Hub, class 3, 35-100 mile range on a full charge, rear rack + fenders. Couldn't find any other 4" tired bike with better specs. $2200. Comments?
If you need it then sure. The tires on my 700 are fine for my use. The most off roading I do is a crushed gravel trail ( Delaware canal trail ).

To each his own. For my use I prefer the (relatively nimble) 51 pound LMT'D vs the 80 pound Juiced Rip Current S. YMMV.

Reactions: MMC
Having gone from some four-inch bikes to 2.8 and am ready to go back, I definitely think the skinnier tire bikes have their place and I will have some and use them for specific things

but in Arizona with all the sand/deep gravel the 4 inch is just better for that

I've been an avid mtb'er for decades, but wanted something for the winters. Fatbikes are popular up here in the snowbelt, for all ages, so I'm trying the Rize RX Pro. Just waiting on delivery. Check it out. There is also a hub motor model available, but I was looking for lots of torque. It's mountainous here in Newfoundland.

I've been an avid mtb'er for decades, but wanted something for the winters. Fatbikes are popular up here in the snowbelt, for all ages, so I'm trying the Rize RX Pro. Just waiting on delivery. Check it out. There is also a hub motor model available, but I was looking for lots of torque. It's mountainous here in Newfoundland.
Thanks for the tip but my Rip will arrive on Sunday (tomorrow). Juiced just got their container two days ago. My 700 has been without problems.. I'm taking it back to Oregon and leaving my Juice in Yuma-unless someone offers me $1200, then I'll just transport the Juice since I have a rack. I will admit it's a pig @ 80 pounds but most fat tires are pretty heavy.

Thanks for the tip but my Rip will arrive on Sunday (tomorrow). Juiced just got their container two days ago. My 700 has been without problems.. I'm taking it back to Oregon and leaving my Juice in Yuma-unless someone offers me $1200, then I'll just transport the Juice since I have a rack. I will admit it's a pig @ 80 pounds but most fat tires are pretty heavy.
Lucky for you. I'm like a kid before christmas waiting for ours. Hopefully they will be shipped this way early next week. Have a blast on the Juiced!

buy an additional seat belt lol, the RX Pro is a Monster of an E-Bike!

For me I still think Fat bikes are a fad
Kids like them
lol. im 50, i also like Fat Bikes,they are fun E-Bikes! they have a bouncy ride compared to standard EBikes and they let you ride on a wide range of terrain, even soft stuff like marshy mud and beach sand! they are a hoot!

I was born and raised in Yuma. You just need a better tour guide!! :p

In defense of the 700XR, I agree out of box it is not ideal on soft surfaces and trails since it’s configured as a commuter. However, a few simple and cheap mods probably would have given you a much better off-road experience. I’ve been around mountain bikes for awhile and I think the 700XR started off as a generic mid rise hardtail mountain bike first, commuter bike second. Just looking at the geometry it can be configured to handle smoother trails, gravel and FSR’s quite well. The head tube angle of around 66 degrees is well suited for lIght off-road use and indicative that this started life as a mountain bike.

The biggest factor holding it back are the street oriented Super Moto X tires. While they are a top pick for general street use and groomed bike trails they offer little or no traction in other situations. I immediately swapped them out with Schwalbe Smart Sam 2.6” tires, removed excess weight such as fenders & rack and added a Thudbuster and it made a world of a difference. While the 700XR is by no means a hardcore single track shredder (don’t even think about doing jumps) it does quite well as a hybrid commuter and cross country style mountain bike. I liken the 700 as a luxury SUV with AWD versus a Jeep Wrangler with true 4wd. Given your situation in Arizona and the kind of riding you want to do, I don’t think any 27.5 or 29” mountain bike would have been ideal. BTW, nice choice going with Juiced 🤙

Attachments

• 784D1DC7-03A4-45AF-82F5-CECCC05967C0.png
    784D1DC7-03A4-45AF-82F5-CECCC05967C0.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 430
Last edited:
In defense of the 700XR, I agree out of box it is not ideal on soft surfaces and trails since it’s configured as a commuter. However, a few simple and cheap mods probably would have given you a much better off-road experience. I’ve been around mountain bikes for awhile and I think the 700XR started off as a generic mid rise hardtail mountain bike first, commuter bike second. Just looking at the geometry it can be configured to handle smoother trails, gravel and FSR’s quite well. The head tube angle of around 66 degrees is well suited for lIght off-road use and indicative that this started life as a mountain bike.

The biggest factor holding it back are the street oriented Super Moto X tires. While they are a top pick for general street use and groomed bike trails they offer little or no traction in other situations. I immediately swapped them out with Schwalbe Smart Sam 2.6” tires, removed excess weight such as fenders & rack and added a Thudbuster and it made a world of a difference. While the 700XR is by no means a hardcore single track shredder (don’t even think about doing jumps) it does quite well as a hybrid commuter and cross country style mountain bike. I liken the 700 as a luxury SUV with AWD versus a Jeep Wrangler with true 4wd. Given your situation in Arizona and the kind of riding you want to do, I don’t think any 27.5 or 29” mountain bike would have been ideal. BTW, nice choice going with Juiced 🤙
Those tires look good. I have the same bike, it's funny I took the fenders off yesterday and I do like the way it looks better although it's a bit less practical around here where it rains pretty regular. I don't usually ride in the rain though but I do like to ride along the Delaware canal which can be a little muddy in spots for a few days after rain. It's a crushed red gravel trail so the original Schwalbe's do fine. When I removed the fenders I was thinking about weight loss but they were pretty light so I don't think there's much to be gained there. Not willing to get rid of the rack myself.

Last edited:
Back