Moving to more teeth on a single chain ring

Just out of curiosity ,,,,,, what would changing the REAR wheel to 24 inch do,,,,,for speed
Thanks
m
You can play around with this gear calculator
You need to find and enter your correc tire size or one close to yours. It seems there are a couple of diffent 20” sizes.
You may not find an 8 speed cassette in the list but you can manually move the cogs so that you have a 12 or 11 as smallest.
And also change cran wheel from 46 to 52.

Hi
I've looked at several of the cal. I could find on line ......they are way over my pay-grade/brain power
To me they don't look set up for road bikes/ single chain ring etc.
I'm just trying to figure out a starting place to make changes . I focused in on the chain ring because I think my limited mechanical skills might allow me to change it out. I have a chain gobbler/tensioner so I don't think I need to worry about adjusting the chain.?
Anyhow, it's now sounding like I might get more bang for the buck by changing the year cassette.?
Once of engineered my bike rack to take the trike ,,,,, I will probably go to a local bike shop for some added advice.
But, thanks for your replies ,,, keep them coming ,,, I've learned a few things reading the replies.
Michael

The answer on wheel diameter is the ratio of 24/20 or 1.20, That's 20% more speed for the same cadence. So 12 mph becomes 14.4 mph. Then you can fool with the other gears too, and use 14T/11T and 52T/46T as the other possible multipliers. Well I assumed your smallest gear is 14T, but it could be 12T.

FWIW 52T with some motors can be disastrous. Many mid drives will easily overheat if the existing gears aren't used and the bike is not ridden like an acoustic bike. Especially true with BBS01 and BBS02.

I wonder if this isn't also the case with other 250w and 350w mid drives. Can also be true with BBS02B 750W. This can be hard on geared hubs as well. Amazing how lazy people get. Had one clutch destroyed by a guy that never shifted, just used his throttle from a dead start.

Last edited:
I run what would be the equivalent of a 55 tooth sprocket on my front chainring and the rear cassette is an 11 x 46 which gives me a very wide range of gears.
I have done this on a Bosch mid drive and now have just shy of 30,000 miles on it.
No motor problems.

The answer on wheel diameter is the ratio of 24/20 or 1.20, That's 20% more speed for the same cadence. So 12 mph becomes 14.4 mph. Then you can fool with the other gears too, and use 14T/11T and 52T/46T as the other possible multipliers. Well I assumed your smallest gear is 14T, but it could be 12T.
OK ,,, the big gear on the back cassette is 32t and the small one is 12t ,,, The set may be something like B2
and chain ring is 46 I think ....I need to get the chain guard off to see for sure . Some of the other info on Terratrikes site has been wrong for my trike .
thanks
m
Thanks
m

I’d say the difference between 12 and 11 in the rear is smaller than changing crankwheel from 46 to 52.

It weighs like a pedelec and I don't change the plate from 46 to 50 or 52 teeth.

I would change the rear wheel by a24 / 26 or 28 inches if mechanically it was possible and at first it is more critical the driving because you are higher off the ground.
if you increase the diameter to24 / 26 or 28 inches from the rear wheel you have to watch that you can pedal because the distance from the front to the ground is lowered.

unlock the speed to 45km / h, improve the cassette from 11-36 to 11-42 to improve my ability to climb hills.

From a mechanical point of view, it is a 20 x 1.5 inch wheel combined with a 46-tooth plate and an 11-tooth cassette for 25km / h. You need a cadence of 112 rpm per minute to 45km/h, with a24, 26,28-inch wheel that would be 102/90/80 rpm. if you could change the drive wheel of the mid drive ..... for a larger one it would help lower the rpm.50 nemtow drive-unit is short to 45km/h.

Last edited:
It weighs like a pedelec and I don't change the plate from 46 to 50 or 52 teeth.

I would change the rear wheel by a24 / 26 or 28 inches if mechanically it was possible and at first it is more critical the driving because you are higher off the ground.
if you increase the diameter to24 / 26 or 28 inches from the rear wheel you have to watch that you can pedal because the distance from the front to the ground is lowered.

unlock the speed to 45km / h, improve the cassette from 11-36 to 11-42 to improve my ability to climb hills.

From a mechanical point of view, it is a 20 x 1.5 inch wheel combined with a 46-tooth plate and an 11-tooth cassette for 25km / h. You need a cadence of 112 rpm per minute to 45km/h, with a24, 26,28-inch wheel that would be 102/90/80 rpm. if you could change the drive wheel of the mid drive ..... for a larger one it would help lower the rpm.50 nemtow drive-unit is short to 45km/h.

Hi
if it matters the wheel is 20 x 2.1 and the cassette is 12 x 32
thanks for your reply
Michael

change the 3 wheels
The size of the rear wheel determines the maximum size of the front wheels.

[QUOTE = "michaelmac, publicación: 249900, miembro: 24347"]
¿Es necesario cambiar los 3 ,,,, o es posible, seguro, etc., cambiar solo la rueda trasera / de transmisión
[/CITAR]
Change 3 wheels

Back