money not an issue quality is

rudym

What ebike or ebike conversion kit - would most everyone want if the money were not an issue
of course it needs to be adaptable to rider size etc... but best reliability, speed and range combo?
I own a trek super commuter 8s now.

thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1594.JPG
    IMG_1594.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 484
  • IMG_1596.JPG
    IMG_1596.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 479
I hope you get the answers you want, but that's just a big, open ended question that could take off in many directions and never getting any clear answers.

For instance questions for your question.
  1. Mountain or city riding; trails, paths, single-track, XC?
  2. High speed, no torque, low speed mountain climbing torque?
  3. Legal on road and path specs, or motorcycle/moped speed and power?
  4. Cadence or torque sensing? Throttle?
  5. Integrated into the frame: Bosch, Yamaha, Shimano, Bafang Max. or a bolt on to the BB?
  6. Suspension; front with hardtail, FS or no suspension at all?
  7. Shift sensing, brake cutoffs.
  8. .... these are just questions I rattled off, there are many more...
Tell us more about what you want to accomplish and you might get answers that'll help. Another question I have, are you not happy with your Trek? Why? What do you wish it could do that it doesn't do well?

Getting an answer for what is the most reliable will most likely be anecdotal and not much help.

As for this question:
What ebike or ebike conversion kit - would most everyone want if the money were not an issue

I know some amazing ebikes that could run rings around other bikes in the right circumstances, but I would never own one. For instance a Stromer is a great bike, but it's not going to hold up very well on the off road trails I ride.

Another question that will likely get anecdotal answers:
but best reliability, speed and range combo?

You might add some detail to your questions. Hop this helps, rather than frustrate.

I'm bummed that you don't find the super commuter to be a quality machine. Care to elaborate?

I agree with @J.R. that more info is needed on the question, but it's a very interesting one to raise.

I hope you get the answers you want, but that's just a big, open ended question that could take off in many directions and never getting any clear answers.

For instance questions for your question.
  1. Mountain or city riding; trails, paths, single-track, XC?
  2. High speed, no torque, low speed mountain climbing torque?
  3. Legal on road and path specs, or motorcycle/moped speed and power?
  4. Cadence or torque sensing? Throttle?
  5. Integrated into the frame: Bosch, Yamaha, Shimano, Bafang Max. or a bolt on to the BB?
  6. Suspension; front with hardtail, FS or no suspension at all?
  7. Shift sensing, brake cutoffs.
  8. .... these are just questions I rattled off, there are many more...
Tell us more about what you want to accomplish and you might get answers that'll help. Another question I have, are you not happy with your Trek? Why? What do you wish it could do that it doesn't do well?

Getting an answer for what is the most reliable will most likely be anecdotal and not much help.

As for this question:

I know some amazing ebikes that could run rings around other bikes in the right circumstances, but I would never own one. For instance a Stromer is a great bike, but it's not going to hold up very well on the off road trails I ride.

Another question that will likely get anecdotal answers:

You might add some detail to your questions. Hop this helps, rather than frustrate.
1. I ride the roadways with traffic, never off road. Terrain is rolling
2. Looking for speed >25mph, I weigh in at 200lbs but am a healthy peddler who at age 60+ needs help to keep up with the pack.
3. where I live they don't know what an electric bike is, let alone know about regulating them.
4. My cadence (rpm) averages 78 rpm. I am unfamiliar with terms like torque sensing so I will read up. But I do like the idea of a bike that goes faster when I peddle harder.
5. It would be nice to convert an existing carbon fiber commuter trek FX7.9 I already own a Trek Super Commuter 8S.
6. no suspension - unless it's in a seat post, since I do not go off road.
7. shift sensing and brake cut offs are terms I have to read up on, but I would like a bike that recovers energy on downhills.
8. of course I would like to keep the weight down (mine included) so high tech and compact is what I imagine.

Thanks for your help.

I'm bummed that you don't find the super commuter to be a quality machine. Care to elaborate?

I agree with @J.R. that more info is needed on the question, but it's a very interesting one to raise.
The super commuter is indeed an awesome machine - BUT - can I step it up a notch in speed, distance and reduction in weight?

Definitely don't want a conversion kit. A stock bicycle is not designed for that much weight and continuous high speeds. I might go up a step in Haibike's line, but I have a Full Seven XDURO S RX and XDURO Trekking S RX. Both are speed versions at 28 mph. Getting tougher to to find the speed versions in their lineup.

The super commuter is indeed an awesome machine - BUT - can I step it up a notch in speed, distance and reduction in weight?

Pick two...you won't likely be able to meet all three of your wishes. Your Trek is designed for up to 28 mph. In theory you could remove the speed restriction, but because of aerodynamic drag, going faster will take a lot more power. You would have to carry two batteries. Any weight you saved making the bike lighter will be added with the extra battery.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
So I'm seeing these things on ebay and wondering about them as well?

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
So I'm seeing these things on ebay and wondering about them as well?

Those are the kind of bikes that will get every eBike owner kicked off of multi use trails and will soon require us to register and license our bikes as motorized vehicles. They are exactly what the general public thinks all eBikes are, and fear the speeds they will run. I hate those super powered, motorcycle style bikes that hang pedals on them as foot rests and to skirt the laws.

If cost isn't a concern, try a Stromer ST-5; or an ST-2S with the big battery. The 2 big downsides to your Trek for long high speed rides are 1) the small battery; by far the biggest problem you just aren't carrying enough energy to ride fast for very long; 2) the mid-drive drivetrain is far less efficient or powerful at high speeds. The supercommuter does use the Bosch Performance Speed motor, which uses a gear reduction to minimize drivetrain loss of torque, but simple physics dictates that when you are in your higher gears, you loose torque to the wheel. A hub drive does not experience this problem. Thus at higher speeds hub motors are both more powerful and efficient than a mid-drive.
I am riding a Juiced Crosscurrent S which would be the cost conscious version of the Stromer. I can commute my 30 mile one way with cruising speeds of 24-32 mph. I generally use a little less than half the battery capacity during my commute. The Stromer battery is a little smaller than mine, but close enough to be competitive for sure.

Last edited:
Those are the kind of bikes that will get every eBike owner kicked off of multi use trails and will soon require us to register and license our bikes as motorized vehicles. They are exactly what the general public thinks all eBikes are, and fear the speeds they will run. I hate those super powered, motorcycle style bikes that hang pedals on them as foot rests and to skirt the laws.
And if you watch the youtube video posted in the ebay ad, it gets even worse. The guy never pedals the bike and just throttles around people walking, jogging, pushing strollers, etc. on a crowded trail. Also, never rings a bell/horn as he approaches anyone, just zips around them. An accident waiting to happen.

of course it needs to be adaptable to rider size etc... but best reliability, speed and range combo?
I own a trek super commuter 8s now.

thanks.

Trek Powerfly 8 FS+ and I'd maybe get a long travel but it's pretty good now. Maybe DT Swiss splines and Hope brakes?

What mode are you riding in? How far do you want to travel. Road wheels on pavement you can go pretty far in economy, tour and heck turbo in the woods is 15 miles of singletrack...

I ride about 23 mph on greenway/road with my knobbies getting to the trail and that's over the 20 mph cut off.

If you're considering that ebay gizmo, you might as well consider going straight to a road-legal electric motorcycle: Zero Motorcycles. Harley claims they will be releasing a full electric bike in 2019 as well.

Thank you everyone for opening my eyes. I had no idea how many different types of ebikes were available, I just lucked into the Trek Super Commuter 8S and it is wonderful indeed. Perhaps my road confidence is still shaken, I do not trust my caged brethren to do the right thing, even though we have a 3' passing law in Alabama. You see, 10 years ago I was hit from the rear on my bicycle by a drunk driver traveling over 50 mph; 18 months later I was back on my bicycle. In the last 8 years something worse than drunk drivers has evolved on our roadways.
Cell phone use and distracted drivers have reached epidemic levels with no slowing down and no enforcement of the law here. Mobile, Al. is VERY bicycle unfriendly - they tolerate motorcycles. Our pedestrian and Bicycle alternative commuting infra structure is, well, pretty much laughable. I guess what I was wanting, is a bicycle that can maintain the 40 mph speed limit so I can stay in the middle of my lane without worry of another high speed rear ender.
Is a one stop place to read up about all the different types of electric two wheelers and the rules classifying them, designating them and regulating them...?

Conversion kit is not for the faint of heart, is not for the unexperienced DIY in bicycle but also requires confidence in connecting electronic wires and components.

Not only that, you have to prepare your mind on spending countless hours in trial and error and improvising things so the bike as a whole can function. It's a never ending tweaking. And you still have an unreliable ebike as a whole.

Been there, done that and I would rather spend my extra few hundred dollars to get a factory assembled (or professionally assembled) minus the headaches.

Last edited:
Back