Mission Control App Height/Weight Bug

jigglyjamster

Region
USA
Mission Control "Edit Profile" page within the app has a software bug, since at least October 2021. Photo attached. Rider height and weight changes after saving, does not enter properly, and displays error message. Look at how my height shows over 500! Specialized customer support is aware of the issue, and claims there is to ETA for a fix! Issue apparently effects all users. I'm not seeing that hyped Specialized quality you guys.... The deeper I get into Specialized, the more ugly cracks I find. I suspect this interferes with calorie count and other rider data.

Bugs happen, but having ETA for a fix is unacceptable. We really need to get on Specialized to resolve this issue. I also hate that Specialized doesn't answer their phones, I've called them several times, and no one ever answers.

Attachments

• IMG_8905.PNG
    IMG_8905.PNG
    84.1 KB · Views: 210
Try a Giant e-bike instead. The Ride Control app is probably fabulous. Or, a Bosch e-bike with COBI. :D

Screenshot_20220102-201700.jpg

Kilograms, centimetres. Why do things usually work for me?

Last edited:
Try a Giant e-bike instead. The Ride Control app is probably fabulous. Or, a Bosch e-bike with COBI. :D

View attachment 110902
Kilograms, centimetres. Why do things usually work for me?
Specialized customer support (via e-mail) confirmed the issue is present. And yes, you can type anything in, the bug causes the numbers to change over time. Check in a few days, your height might change to 400, and weight might go down to 85. I don't have to argue with you, as Specialized has already confirmed the problem. I have it in writing, screenshot attached! You have a blessed day Stefan, and a happy new year!!!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-02 at 7.53.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-02 at 7.53.38 PM.png
    191.1 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
I'm glad I wasn't the only one having this issue. The app could definitely use some serious help but I didn't buy the bike based on the app.
Nope, you're not alone!! I'm more concerned about the effect on the bike's calorie tracking. If it doesn't know my height and weight, then how can Master Mind track my calorie burn?

If it doesn't know my height and weight, then how can Master Mind track my calorie burn?
From the power meter... Your Spec e-bike exactly knows what power you have input at any moment of your ride. Integrated over time, it gives your energy input for the ride. Divided by the standard human body efficiency, it gives calories burnt. An example:

Distance: 168.00km Ride time: 7:20:24 Elevation gain: 588m
- Battery consumed: 186% (1061Wh)
- Average consumption per KM: 6,05 Wh/km
- Percentage of average assistance: 41,4%
- Wh ride: 1501,4Wh
- Biker: 29,3% (440,4Wh)
- Battery: 70,7% (1061Wh)
Calories: 1,805

These data are what any Specialized Turbo e-bike since 2020 can give you (the above data are not from Mission Control). The power meter that is a part of the bike does not need to know the rider's weight or height because the calories burnt is a measured/calculated data.

Hey Stefan. Happy New Year. It’s been a while since I posted, but I have a mission control question and thought I would check in here to see if you or anyone else has experienced the same issue. On my wife’s 2020 Turbo Vado 5.0 (full power), her ride distance resets on its own when the motor is either shut off manually or when it automatically shuts off during an extended break. My 2020 Turbo Vado 4.0 (full power) does not have the same issue. Maybe needs a software update? Maybe it’s the mission control battery? Any thoughts?

Hey Stefan. Happy New Year. It’s been a while since I posted, but I have a mission control question and thought I would check in here to see if you or anyone else has experienced the same issue. On my wife’s 2020 Turbo Vado 5.0 (full power), her ride distance resets on its own when the motor is either shut off manually or when it automatically shuts off during an extended break. My 2020 Turbo Vado 4.0 (full power) does not have the same issue. Maybe needs a software update? Maybe it’s the mission control battery? Any thoughts?
No idea. I use BLEvo as the main application for my both Gen 1 Specialized Vado and Vado SL as I perceive Mission Control as a poor app anyway. When I used MC, however, I noticed it could restart the ride either manually or automatically. Perhaps you and wife have your MC configured differently? And yes, the version update is important.

From the power meter... Your Spec e-bike exactly knows what power you have input at any moment of your ride. Integrated over time, it gives your energy input for the ride. Divided by the standard human body efficiency, it gives calories burnt. An example:

Distance: 168.00km Ride time: 7:20:24 Elevation gain: 588m
- Battery consumed: 186% (1061Wh)
- Average consumption per KM: 6,05 Wh/km
- Percentage of average assistance: 41,4%
- Wh ride: 1501,4Wh
- Biker: 29,3% (440,4Wh)
- Battery: 70,7% (1061Wh)
Calories: 1,805

These data are what any Specialized Turbo e-bike since 2020 can give you (the above data are not from Mission Control). The power meter that is a part of the bike does not need to know the rider's weight or height because the calories burnt is a measured/calculated data.
Hmmm, I wonder why Mission Control wants rider height and weight, if not to help give more accurate metrics?

Hmmm, I wonder why Mission Control wants rider height and weight, if not to help give more accurate metrics?
Why it wants your name, sex, and location in the first place? Answer: because it can :)
P.S. My height as recorded in MC has not changed since last Sunday. The bug is in the Imperial system only?

it definitely doesn’t use weight for any significant input into calories. the formula for translating watts of leg energy into active calories doesn’t need to take weight or height into account. passive calories (the energy you’d use just sitting around for the same amount of time) would definitely be affected by your basic metabolic rate, weight, fitness, etc.

the big variable is the “efficiency.” they say it’s +/- 3%

I just never stop :) But really the only time I've ever touched the mission control app is setting the power levels one time. Otherwise my rides are linked to my little tiny garmin GPS bike computer which automatically uploads them to strava.
OK. Mission Control has its uses, for example adjusting the assistance, diagnostic, or Smart Control.
The last two times I found MC useful was to set Smart Control on e-bikes that didn't belong to me to make sure the ride could be completed on a single battery.
My latest discovery has been the fact BLEvo app would not work with the latest Mastermind controllers/display. That will make Mission Control far more important for the future.

I noticed this issue too... and I wish they would put the units next to height and weight so you could be sure what is needed. As it stands, they just have blank input boxes that allow for numbers and it always gives me pause. Are we talking feet, inches, lbs, kg, oz, cm, mm?? A little help with the labeling would save the guesswork, and then it would be nice if the number wasn't erased or changed as others have mentioned :)

and I wish they would put the units next to height and weight so you could be sure what is needed. As it stands, they just have blank input boxes that allow for numbers and it always gives me pause. Are we talking feet, inches, lbs, kg, oz, cm, mm?? A little help with the labeling would save the guesswork, and then it would be nice if the number wasn't erased or changed as others have mentioned :)
FWIW, a European gives their height in centimetres and the weight in kilograms :) I can understand the fields mentioned could be confusing for a Canadian-American though.

Back