Mid drive with throttle?

There are some frey threads here and endless sphere, they seem to be nice bikes and people are happy with them from what I have read

Someone was swapping from a Frey they had ordered to a wattwagon and had the reserved frey for sale
Tomdav was that you? You would get it quicker that way

I think bafang is the only mid drive with throttle

Interesting about the dropper seat posts, I did not know they mostly came in one size

I think most of the available ultra bikes are listed above
Keep us updated on what you choose

So is Bafang the only company making mid drives with a throttle?

No, but you also wanted a 28MPH speed.

In the largest e-Bike market today, Europe, throttles aren't legally allowed and top assisted speed in many areas is less. So, that takes out the many bikes intended for the European market.

I also heard the Frey seat post is a smaller size than US standard...

The AM1000 & M600 links I sent list it as the standard 31.6mm. Don't know about the CC, which has a rear rack.

Not sure about the ordering process from China, or the shipping though.
More concerning is what kind of support after sale you'd get. There's a Frey Forum here that is probably the best place to post brand-specific questions.

Last edited:
You have some good options then:
Luna X-1 (Bafang M600 with 2k watt option, 95Nm of torque, 55 lbs) $3,950
Luna Lone Wolf (Giant Stance 2 converted using the BBSHD) $3,600
Bixtrix Ultra FS (Bafang Ultra 1.5k watts, 160Nm of torque, 75-76 lbs) $3,400 - $4,946
Evelo Aries (Bafang 750 watt, Nuvinci continuous variable internal geared hub, 76 lbs) $3,299
If you're handy and don't mind dealing with Alibaba, Frey has a number of fast mid-drive FS bikes, with the AM1000 at the top of the list at $3,120. There's also the M600 at $2,980.
I'm sure there's more. Note that the throttle requirement eliminates bikes with Bosch, Shimano or Brose drivetrains, as well as Specialized, Trek, etc.

Great recommendations... here is a review from EBR on the Evelo Aires and from Electrek on the Frey.

Last edited:
Maybe you should buy a scooter, old-timer. Just relaying my experience on an Ultra powered bike.
You could have asked why someone thought they needed a throttle, rather than spouting your spoiled personal agenda. It's great that you don't need one-yet. But I think it is more important to get more people on bikes, rather than driving fossil fuel vehicles. If that requires some of us 'old timers' to get ebikes with throttles rather than driving a car, so be it.

Don’t waste your time with that guy

I don’t know why anybody takes the time to write on a forum just to spout Unrelated junk instead of trying to help the person asking questions figure out their problem, what bikes are available etc

And I apologize for hijackjng this thread

usually only post when I feel like I have information that helps the original poster or adds knowledge about products/ebikes I have actually used

I have been interested in Frey bikes also and had some contact with them. They have great components for the price but there is about a $780 shipping via air to add to the cost. The Frey brand section on here is a good place to get more information like someone suggested.

I have been interested in Frey bikes also and had some contact with them. They have great components for the price but there is about a $780 shipping via air to add to the cost. The Frey brand section on here is a good place to get more information like someone suggested.
The seatpost on the CC is also listed as 31.6 mm

Frey does have a special this month with FREE shipping. The catch is you have to be OK with 5 month wait for production + 1 month container shipping as well as a limited cancellation window.

Interesting, that would save you about $500 which is shipping by boat instead of air. Here are the details from Frey's site:

Special FREY plan conditions:
  1. Project time frame: from today till 10th, April.2020. around 20 days.
  2. Delivery ways for different countries:
    • US: by sea to door;
    • EU: by railway to door;
    • Canada: by sea to local port;
    • Australia and New Zealand: by sea to local port.
    • Customer from other countries should check with FREY firstly.
  3. Delivery time: 6 months ex-factory China, after placing order;
  4. Expect receiving time: about 7 months after placing order;
  5. Limited to 2 bikes per customer.
  6. You can change your bike model, size or color within 7 days, later on in the order it cannot be changed.
  7. A FREY T-shirt and a set of FREY brand mudguards will be included in your bike package.
  8. No cancellation after 30 days.

Makes sense now why Frey wanted to charge me a $200 cancellation fee despite having a production backlog. Who wants to wait until September though?

You could have asked why someone thought they needed a throttle, rather than spouting your spoiled personal agenda. It's great that you don't need one-yet. But I think it is more important to get more people on bikes, rather than driving fossil fuel vehicles. If that requires some of us 'old timers' to get ebikes with throttles rather than driving a car, so be it.

I did. Read more carefully next time and knock off the internet bully act. So childish.

Last edited:
Hello Court, my name is John. I've been watching your videos for months now and really enjoy them. And think I'm finally ready to purchase my first ebike. Does anyone make a 28mph full suspension, mid drive with a throttle?

Not full suspension but an option to look at.

Not full suspension but an option to look at.
I had one not a bad bike. it does 16 degree hills like my Bosch does 14 degree hills. but its sn to energy efficient like my Bosch is.

Luna X-1 (Bafang M600 with 2k watt option, 95Nm of torque, 12-speed, 55 lbs) $3,950
Bixtrix Ultra FS (Bafang Ultra 1.5k watts, 160Nm of torque, 75-76 lbs) $3,400 - $4,946
Evelo Aries (Bafang 750 watt, Nuvinci continuous variable internal geared hub, 76 lbs) $3,299
If you're handy and don't mind dealing with Alibaba, Frey has a number of fast mid-drive FS bikes, with the AM1000 at the top of the list at $3,120. There's also the M600 at $2,980.

I'm sure there's more. Note that the throttle requirement eliminates bikes with Bosch, Shimano or Brose drivetrains, as well as Specialized, Trek, etc.

Just saw that Bolton has entered this territory with their Bolton Ultra Mountain (Bafang Ultra, 1.5k watts, 10-speed, 48V 1k wh battery, heavy) $4499

And since we're now over the $4K price point, might as well include:
Luna Apollo (Bafang Ultra 2k watts, 160Nm of torque, 12-speed, 52V 1.1k wh battery, carbon frame, 60lbs) $4900
Watt Wagons Travalanche (Bafang Ultra 3K watts, 160Nm, 11-speed, Rohloff, 52V 756 wh battery, carbon frame, 56 lbs) $8500

There are some frey threads here and endless sphere, they seem to be nice bikes and people are happy with them from what I have read

Someone was swapping from a Frey they had ordered to a wattwagon and had the reserved frey for sale
Tomdav was that you? You would get it quicker that way

I think bafang is the only mid drive with throttle

Interesting about the dropper seat posts, I did not know they mostly came in one size

I think most of the available ultra bikes are listed above
Keep us updated on what you choose
Actually, there are quite a few sizes of dropper posts in my experience.

Luna X-1 (Bafang M600 with 2k watt option, 95Nm of torque, 55 lbs) $3,950

Great options! One other one I'd add is the M2S Ultra FS, very similarly spec'd to the Biktrix but a few slight differences that may interest you.

Back