Maxxis Hookworms

I got my Rad Rover about a week ago and put the Hookworms on right away. Boy, do they quiet down the road noise! I bought both tire and tube from Bike Nashbar. So far I am loving the Rad but already realize I will need a bigger chainring as I can tackle even big hills in the biggest gear.

No way! Those Kenda are 26x4...you're comparing apples and oranges.

That said, the smaller tires make sense...the thought of 4" tires used on the road was what kept me away from the Rover, and I bought a City instead.

Last edited:
Any updates on a nice road tire for rad rover. Few of links on eBay were out of stock and I was sure which ones fit the stock rims of rad ?
I would like an exact tire that I can swap out with stock for winter ?
Thanks for any updates that clarify this tire change.
Hap

Hi my name is mark and had my first ride only rover today and really enjoyed apart from a few riders calling me a cheat! It annoyed me a little as I do regularly ride my road bike... I bought the RAD rover to commute. There are no showers at my work making the road bike a bit of a non starter. Can you post a pick of the smooth tyres on the bike? I do want some smother tyres to reduce the noise and to artificially lower. Did you modify the wheel dimension on the LCD? Many thanks, mark

Hah same here, on the weekend I'm doing centuries, the weekday I'm commuting with an eBike getting called a cheat. Ok buddy, is there a game we're playing here that I'm cheating at? Its like dealing with cave-man brain people.

I just ordered these
Origin8 Supercell 26x4.0 Wire Bead Tire
Hard to find
They are even back ordered where I did find em
Bicyclebuys.com
Hap

Handling gains are superb. Just so much more stable and smooth.

Speed is 7% lower at the same cadence because of the reduced circumference. I'll be putting on an 11-32 cassette when I have a few minutes, and then I expect to gain most of that speed back.

Wait are you saying these make the bike 7% slower?

View attachment 13420 Changed out tires for the maxxis minions 26x2.5. Better for mountain biking.
Hi, so I tried to do something similar and I bought the WtB Ranger comp 26x2.8 tires (link below) and they won't fit on the rim! I'm rather uneducated on tire sizing so could you please let me know where I went wrong? I had the 26x 2.4-3.0 tubes so I think that part should have been okay but the tires were way too skinny for the fat tire rim. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you have the link to the tires you bought that would be wonderful as well. I was hoping to go to the 2.8s just to get a little more cushion on my ride but at this point I'd be happy to put 2.5s but seems there are a lot of options for the minions so I'd prefer not to make another costly mistake. lol Thanks in advance for your help!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WTB-Ranger...:FedExHomeDelivery!30318!US!-1&frcectupt=true

Hi, so I tried to do something similar and I bought the WtB Ranger comp 26x2.8 tires (link below) and they won't fit on the rim! I'm rather uneducated on tire sizing so could you please let me know where I went wrong? I had the 26x 2.4-3.0 tubes so I think that part should have been okay but the tires were way too skinny for the fat tire rim. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you have the link to the tires you bought that would be wonderful as well. I was hoping to go to the 2.8s just to get a little more cushion on my ride but at this point I'd be happy to put 2.5s but seems there are a lot of options for the minions so I'd prefer not to make another costly mistake. lol Thanks in advance for your help!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WTB-Ranger...:FedExHomeDelivery!30318!US!-1&frcectupt=true
My post right before yours has links to tires and tubes that work.

My post right before yours has links to tires and tubes that work.
spmckinnon thanks for your reply but I'm hoping to get mtn bike tires and those seem to be road tires. I occassionally ride some dirt trails and I'd like to have the grip. But thank you for the link, I'll definitely give those a try if I can't get the answer I need for off road tires.

Hi Rad Power Ebike owners,
While I am not A Rad owner, I do own two M2S fat tire 750W rear hub beasts. I spend all my time over on the M2S forum because of that factor.
I stumbled across this thread because of the Maxxis HookWorm title. I, too, use this excellent 2.5" tire.. Plus, I use the DURO BeachBum/SOUL 3" tire mentioned. In addition to those tires, I also use a 2.3" third tire.. on the same rim.. at the same time.. Oh, it's true, it's true.
As a result, I have the following thread posted over on the M2S forum site:
https://electricbikereview.com/foru...20-my-2018-kush-fat-tire-combo-recipes.26756/
In addition to the above thread, I also have 7 more threads ( so far) posted over there-- all in regards to my ongoing experiences with your Brother(s) From Another Mother; a 2018 dual-suspension KUSH(model) 750w rear hub fat tire ebike (with 11,200 miles on the odometer) AND a 2019 hardtail R750 (model) 750w rear hub ebike (with 3,313 miles on the odometer). I have, basically, morphed my own e-toyz into "contraptions" due to all of the alterations/modifications I have forced upon them. But dang, it sure is fun.
I think that, since our bike brands are so very similar, you will find my very longwinded postings to be of interest to your clan (Rad Power). Also, congratulations on the expected expansion of the Rad Power company onward and upward to actual brick-and- mortar stores.
Sic Puppy

Last edited:
Back