Maxxis Hookworms

I have the hookworms ready to be put on with the DH tubes. I do ride on some gravel, but not much, do you think there will be any issues with dirt roads gravel? I won't be doing anything extreme, more straight away on gravel/hard pack.

I have the hookworms ready to be put on with the DH tubes. I do ride on some gravel, but not much, do you think there will be any issues with dirt roads gravel? I won't be doing anything extreme, more straight away on gravel/hard pack.

IMO they get just as good of traction on gravel/dirt as the Juggernaut's. That initially blew my mind considering the tread difference.

IMO they get just as good of traction on gravel/dirt as the Juggernaut's. That initially blew my mind considering the tread difference.

Great! Can't wait. Will just use the Juggernauts for winter her in MN and use the Worms for spring/summer/fall

I second that. Actually, in corners on tiny gravel/stone dust paths, the front wheel with the Juggernauts tends to slip (at 25 psi). No slipping at all with the Hookworms. I love these tires! PS watch out for muddy terrain, even a fraction of an inch - they slip like crazy!

Good to know! I will watch for mud. How are they with rain/wet pavement but not muddy? I assume better than the juggernauts but just curious.

I never rode them in the rain. I go slowly in the occasional large puddles so that does not test traction much!
Dropped the bike off at the local bike shop last night, will have them for when I get back from traveling for the 4th, looking forward to it.

Got my hookworms on. Took them for a short test ride after changing diameter to 24.

I like the quiet ride and smoothness. I like there is no mount double or triple bounce in the back anymore. Used to hit curbs or bumps and get that bouncing feeling on the old tires.

Two things I don't like:
1) lower to the ground so I scraped my pedal on a corner when I was leaning.
2) Does not fill out my Rad full fenders anymore and kind of looks like my bike skipped leg day because of it. LOL

Not big issues and ride quality and efficiency should make of for those issues.

I noticed it was easier to pedal with them and less resistance and effort needed. We will see how it goes on a few longer rides in the next few days.

Hi @Grant Brugger. I am curious, how much PSI in the new tires? I ride them at 32 so far on same size wheels. I did not dare go higher.
I told them to go to 30PSI. I did notice a little sag in the rear tire and I'm not all that heavy so we will see how I like it, may go up one or two. But they did warn me that it may come off the rim if it goes much higher.

Do you have any tips for installing the Maxxis hookwork 2.5" on the Rad Rover? My guy didn't even try he said they're too small but I checked the size against what you guys recommended and it's right. Do I need a different tubes like you got

Thanks a lot. As noted they got them on but they're very tight on the stock tubes. The correct ones are on the way. Regardless the bike felt much lighter on the ride home from the shop.

I also have an upgraded main sprocket to 40mm and it's great I highly recommend it for more power to the pedals.

I've done a few miles with the new tires and I can agree it's a night and day difference. Bike is way quieter, the back tire doesn't rub the fender (I had to zip tie it to the back cargo cage originally), it takes off much faster and lighter braking. I also have some Hydraulic brakes upgrade but they don't have motor cut off so I need to be careful when decelerating or changing down.

Easy, cheap and effective to put the ebrake sensors on from LUNA. about 20 bucks as I recall, and some hot glue and you're done.

So I can tell you don't use slightly too big tubes. I had to walk half way home when the rear one popped out.

----

Do you guys usually take the wheels off as is to replace the tires or do you put the bike on a bike stand because it weighs 70 lbs? I've actually developed tennis elbow from loading it onto the train.

Before and after
C95oGYzl.jpg

Before and after
C95oGYzl.jpg

How many miles did you get out of your kenda before you replaced them with the Maxxis? I ended up getting about 25% more wear on the rear Kenda compared to the fronts. My old Kenda didn't look much better than yours at 800 miles. I'm keeping track of my Vee8 mileage and going to rotate my tires at around 1000 miles.

I have about 1200 miles on the original tires, and I've had two tubes (one front, and one rear) go, but the tires were still good though quite worn as you can see. Plus you can see how flat they are in the middle compared to a motorcycle tire because you're not learning as much as often. I'm going to hold onto them in case I ever need off-road tires.

I'm not surprised you get so much rear wear, when my rear tube when out I had to walk the bike to the shop and the next day my right arm and bicep were quite sore, all the weight is in the back wheel.

Back