Maximize battery: Spin or Mash?

Shaddy

I have a 2017 Turbo Levo, as do 4 of my riding buddies. Got to talking about riding style, and which would be the best for "battery efficiency". Has anyone done a test to see if cranking a higher gear or spinning, chews more of the battery than the other? Here are the theories

• Mashing:
    • Use Less: My legs applying a lot of power, so motor does not have to
    • Use More: The motor is trying to help and that is a lot of torque, so is that draining the battery
  • Spinning:
    • Use Less: Like the high efficiency pool pumps, less resistance/torque needed to turn the wheel, so more efficient, less battery use
    • Use More: Something needs to get me up the hill, so if not my legs, then must be the motor. I am working less, so motor working more, and more battery use.
I am going to try a test one of these days, but thought I'd ask.

Let me know if you have done a similar test, or have some experience either way.

Phil

Hi

I have a Turbo S 2016 and my stock battery died, so now I'm waiting from Specialized to replace may stock battery when they have it in stock. Meanwhile Specialized had lend me 2015 FLR battery instead. So from going full power Turbo mode/Eco 60% to only 40% Eco mode all the time I found out (or I think) the best way to save battery is spinning. Use less spin more high gears up to speed and coasting. I been experimenting and I found out doing so by spinning high gear and coasting I have 14-16% left when I get home instead of use more motor. When I use more motor help I will have less when 10% battery left when I get home.

It is what I think, I'm not exactly sure. Something I have head wind then I'm not getting up to speed to coast and drain battery. That makes me little hesitant with my conclusion.

The best battery range I got was on my 2015 Turbo-X spinning at low speed in low gear. Average speed was 12MPH and I rode 42 miles in Eco 50 with 48% left on the battery. I've gone on other rides at similar speed mashing and range was greatly reduced. Reducing your speed, from my experience, has the greatest impact on range—primarily in terms of reducing wind resistance. If you feel the wind pushing you back, you're probably draining the battery faster. I've only had my Levo a little while, so I'm still getting used to the differences with a mid-drive. Not having a display means I don't pay attention to battery % as much. I really haven't been checking the app after each ride.

I was able to complete a 32 mile trip around some very hilly terrain with over 2000 feet elevation changes averaging about 15-16 mph on eco 30% on my Turbo S.

There were some strong crosswinds and the average climb was 6-7 percent grade.

My expected range on a flat ride is 25-30 miles at high speeds (pushing hard and trying to cruise at around 26).

I once tried a hilly ride and was able to complete a 32-mile loop with around 3,000 ft of elevation (using mostly Eco60, but trying to regen on the downhills). I still averaged an impressive (for me) 19.4 mph (whereas I would have averaged around 13-14 on a road bike).

So I agree that trying to cruise at higher speeds really eats your battery life, even more so than climbing hills.

I found a good balance myself at Eco60 and using Turbo only when having to pass someone or at high hills. Using the regen wisely will also increase range. With these settings, if not facing strong wind, I could make around 60-70 km / 37-43 miles with a 391 Wa battery. Not bad I think. It will also depend on your weight and what you carry with you on the bike. Many factors to take into account.

I ride my turbo 2016 Turbo S usually at 30% eco.. and toggle to Full Turbo for hills. I can get at least 30 to 40 miles that way. On another note... My originally battery has been replaced 2 times already. And I have had 3 of the little joystick controllers go bad as well.. The back lights burn out within a 3 months to a year. I dont think Specialized does a very good job sourcing the electronic components.

Load on an electric motor measurably increases draw. To get the best range out of a battery charge, don't lug the motor. Spinning at a high cadence will reduce draw, but if you are going to do that why have an eBike? Just 'assist the motor' enough to keep it working easy.

Back