Maintenance tip/reminder

I have regular marathons on my road bikes & they're just great, but the one pair of plus I bought for 26" were too rigid at the tread, too soft in the sidewall.
they made for a wobbly unnerving ride. they're hanging in the carport with less than 5 miles on 'em.

I wouldn’t run them unless you absolutely need the highest level of puncture protection. However, if you’re commuting you really don’t want to have to deal with flat rear tire with a rear hub motor. Talk about a PITA to change out the tube. It takes me 20-30 minutes to get the rear wheel off/back-on in the comfort of my living room. I can’t imagine doing it on the side of the road.

John and Dunbar, thanks for the heads-up!

I have a Cross Current S on order. I planned to replace the stock tires.

I need only moderate flat protection, and am leery of the thick protection strip of the Marathon Plus.

It must also eat up some power, all that thick, Plus rubber; here is a site that tested the thinner Greenguard Marathons, and other tires, for rolling resistance. Be that as it may, it is your first hand observations which confirm: I do not want Marathon Plus.

Have two bikes here, a 26"x 38C cruiser and a 700 23C singlespeed, on Michelin Protek city tires. I like the performance, plus the reflective sidewall vital because I ride at night.

So, the other day I ordered the newest Proteck city tire version,
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/michelin-protek-urban-700c-tire
in 38C ready to install on the CCS when it arrives.

I bet the new Urban tread design will be pretty quiet and the tire responsive with good grip in the wet.

Thank you guys for your Marathon advice!

So, what are some other good tire choices?

Last edited:
I use bicyclerollingresistance.com since they test rolling resistance and puncture protection. In general, I look for the lowest rolling resistance possible with an adequate amount of puncture protection. Tire weight isn’t a big consideration on an electric bike IMO. I like to use the biggest tire that will fit the frame so that I can run a lower tire pressure for comfort. Schwalbe has a lot of good options in the e-bike space IMO.

Did you contact us for support on this issue?
Got no issues now that I have my CCS, but then I ride it like it was made outa glass. Largely ,I feel the same way about my beat- up old carcass. :0) images.jpg 1692580-bigthumbnail.jpg

Last edited:
I used to have to pick up my kids from daycare after I rode home and I was always worried about getting a flat tire and being late. So I bought a set of Marathon Plus tires. They were effective and I never got a flat, but ................ in the last couple of years I've been riding my Cervelo to and from work and it has Schwalbe One's and I never got a flat tire with those either ...............

Now my kids are out of daycare I don't feel time pressure on the ride home nearly as much and the Marathon's make my commuter bike feel like a tank. The tires and wheels are so heavy compared to my Cervelo.

I agree with Reid about the level of flat protection one might need and how the Marathon's could be overkill for some people. I think they probably are in my case as I never got a flat with my Michelin Pro Race 3s either. I definitely feel the Marathon's are a slower tire, which is understandable given the flat protection they provide.

I'm actually kinda impressed by the stock K-1088s. I'm a big guy with an upright position, but I can cut these into a tight turn
leaning way over to an extent that would kick the rear wheel loose on one of my road bikes. I priced them on Niagara,(1068, the
non-electric version), they're pretty comparable to Schwalbes price wise. Just cuz they're Kendas does mean they're a cheaply
made tire.

I'm actually kinda impressed by the stock K-1088s.

When I replaced my Kendas they did seem like pretty sturdy (I measured them at ~930g/each) with a good puncture belt. I mainly replaced mine because the puncture resistance was unknown. I don’t even bother to bring tools to change a flat tire with me because it’s such a PITA to get the rear wheel off. I trust Schwalbe’s puncture resistance ratings more than Kendas and bicyclerollingresistance has independently tested a lot of the Schwalbe tires. I do think that Schwalbe tires have a more supple casing which is going to improve ride quality. I noticed a pretty big difference in rolling resistance going from the stock Kendra’s to Schwalbe Marathon Almostions and they ride better too. My experience from road bikes is that good tires can make a pretty big difference but I would agree that the stock Kendas are more than adequate in the puncture resistance department.

Last edited:
When I replaced my Kendas they did seem like pretty sturdy (I measured them at ~930g/each) with a good puncture belt. I mainly replaced mine because the puncture resistance was unknown. I don’t even bother to bring tools to change a flat tire with me because it’s such a PITA to get the rear wheel off. I trust Schwalbe’s puncture resistance ratings more than Kendas and bicyclerollingresistance has independently tested a lot of the Schwalbe tires. I do think that Schwalbe tires have a more supple casing which is going to improve ride quality. I noticed a pretty big difference in rolling resistance going from the stock Kendra’s to Schwalbe Marathon Almostions and they ride better too. My experience from road bikes is that good tires can make a pretty big difference but I would agree that the stock Kendas are more than adequate in the puncture resistance department.

Gee. I hope so, loads of thorny blackberries along the roadside all around here. I have to watch for 'em.
they do make for a nice snack though.

They have, and I also do in between visits. After the first replacement, they only have their master wheel guy work on it. As referenced many, many times in this forum, there is an issue with the CrossCurrent's spokes that Juiced seems to be aware of, but doesn't want to offer any actual solutions other than 'just keep buying our spokes that either don't fit correctly, or are made of low-quality metal'.

$250 was their high estimate - LBS is still figuring out what spokes they can get, but I told them I wanted the strongest spokes within reason, so I'm expecting I'll have to pay $4 a spoke, 36 of them, plus an hour of labor is going to be around $200 minimum. With the weird size of the spoke, it may drive cost of the spokes up even further. I will NOT use any more of Juiced's spokes.

Once again, I am reiterating do not buy Juiced Bikes Concurrent S until they have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that they have actually solved the ongoing epic Juiced Bikes broken spokes debacle; I strongly suspect they do not even bother to actually "quality assurance" check their Juiced Bikes at their asian chinese factories "at all whatsoever" in so far they do not use a spoke check tension checking tool and enter that into a spreadsheet to allow any inherent spoke tension distribution variances to be potentially corrected; this simply does not happen on the asian chinese factory floor as part of the supposed Juiced Bikes "quality assurance" process; to Juiced Bikes "Tora Harris" and its paying Juiced Bikes customers "quality assurance" is basically nothing but an unmitigated Juiced Bikes "rip off" post purchase and as such this is totally unacceptable.

Last edited:
...to Juiced Bikes "Tora Harris" and its paying Juiced Bikes customers "quality assurance" is basically nothing but an unmitigated Juiced Bikes "rip off" post purchase and as such this is totally unacceptable....
That is his real name you put in quote marks; he uses his real name and I do, too, in public and in private.

I've put my money down on a Juiced Bikes CrossCurrent S. It will arrive this month. I'll take good care of it and I expect it may be less perfect than a bike costing twice as much. Nonetheless, spokes should no longer be a problem. From their blog page:

CrossCurrent S November Production Update - Upgraded Spokes
Posted by Tora Harris in crosscurrent S
IMG_9590_grande.JPG

Color painted frames ready to get boxed.

The November batch of CrossCurrent S bikes are on the way from the overseas factory. All have left the factory and expected to land to our San Diego warehouse just inside November.

IMG_0295_grande.JPG

New production has XXL 22" Frames

The color painted bikes will be first to arrive followed by the brushed aluminum frames coming a little later. Then its a matter of sorting through the orders and getting them on the road to waiting customers. We will send out a proper email update to pre-order customers and wait-list customers very soon.

IMG_0993_grande.JPG

Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tires get loaded onto the container

New Spokes
This production of CCS and moving forward we have switched to heavy duty SAPIM Belgium-made spokes and a improved lacing pattern. The spokes are imported and this production took a little bit longer due to the slower arriving spokes. SAPIM spokes are use on high end e-bikes. Check out the incredible strength of these spokes [Video: Bicycle Wheel on Car 6,300,000 views - Youtube]

SAPIM_Spokes_Infographic_Export_1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:
Quality assurance is a process you are selecting quality parts. Quality control is that products have been inspected/tested and ready for delivery. Does anyone have pics of the august delivery? It almost looks like they recycled the color painted frames from the august delivery update.

Quality assurance is a process you are selecting quality parts. Quality control is that products have been inspected/tested and ready for delivery. Does anyone have pics of the august delivery? It almost looks like they recycled the color painted frames from the august delivery update.
Well my Aug. CCS was originally red into black, but hey, an extra coat of paint never hurt anything. :) Flipped a stick into my spokes;
took out 2 & bent the derailleur a tad, but that had nothing to do with spoke quality.

That is his real name you put in quote marks; he uses his real name and I do, too, in public and in private.

I've put my money down on a Juiced Bikes CrossCurrent S. It will arrive this month. I'll take good care of it and I expect it may be less perfect than a bike costing twice as much. Nonetheless, spokes should no longer be a problem. From their blog page:

Yes, please ignore this troll. This user, daniel58 opened a account on oct 20th and since then EVERY SINGLE POST has been a long rambling monolog with a direct slant against Juiced and no other brand. Who has this much time? (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

To our knowledge, this user or bot does not own one of our bikes. On top of this same user also goes to our webpage and harasses our chat reps for hours. It is just part of doing business on the open internet I guess.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 5.52.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 5.52.29 PM.png
    261.1 KB · Views: 858
  • Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 5.38.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 5.38.39 PM.png
    490.7 KB · Views: 1,002
  • Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 5.38.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 5.38.34 PM.png
    681.3 KB · Views: 804
Yes, please ignore this troll. This user, daniel58 opened a account on oct 20th and since then EVERY SINGLE POST has been a long rambling monolog with a direct slant against Juiced and no other brand. Who has this much time? (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

To our knowledge, this user or bot does not own one of our bikes. On top of this same user also goes to our webpage and harasses our chat reps for hours. It is just part of doing business on the open internet I guess.
Evidently I'm not the only one with a juiced bike's problem.

wow.........

All I have to say is that my CCS is great... and any issues that i've had have been minor and I have had great customer support and feedback from Juiced.

daniel58, do you actually own a CCS? Or a Juiced bike? You just calling this a rampant problem based off of the few posts that people have said about a spoke failure\motor issue?

**edit**
Do you own a bike (CCS) or have first hand experience?... I believe we all know how you feel about juiced and nothing further needs to be said.

If you have a general maintenance tip\ reminder please post it as this is what the thread is about.

Last edited:
So I've seen lots of comments on tightening spokes but I haven't seen any comments on what torque spec they should be tightened too. Overtightening spokes can be just as much of a problem as under tightening spokes. Additionally, when tightening spokes, it's also important to offset which spoke you tighten so you don't pull the wheel out of true. For example, it's typically recommended to tighten every 4th spoke doing 4 cycles of the tire shifting one spoke each cycle such that you tighten all spokes evenly. When tightening during a cycle, only small amounts of tightening are recommended, like 1/4 turn. On dirt bikes and heavier spoked wheels, 40-50 in/lbs is a typical recommended torque spec range but I haven't seen similar for e-bikes or e-fatbikes.

I checked my rear spokes before the 2 I lost too a stick that got flipped into the wheel. They felt tighter than the way I keep my other bikes,
but then they are shorter & of a heavier gauge. I'm kinda glad they tore out; if they hadn't I'd be in hospital. If that stick had jammed up in
the frame, I'd have been tossed into traffic. As it was, I was able to maintain control of the bike, 2 spokes down & a slightly bent derailleur easily fixed.
After 60 years on bikes I true my wheels & tighten spokes by feel. It should be like a harp with the same note on every string
p,s. The wheel stayed true.

Last edited:
Back