Luna Smoothie cruiser... almost like Biktrix Stunner

There is no way to "try" any Luna bikes, this is why I asked. Once sold and used, it is non-returnable, this is their policy.
Legally sold ebikes are limited to 20 mph on throttle, AFAIK. For 30 mph you would have to hack/reprogram the controller, and then it will require a license and registration.
Motors over 350W need disc brakes, yes.
If I were to build anything, hoping it to just "work" without giving me much trouble, I would rather choose a direct drive.

Last edited:
Thomas, I really appreciate this knowledge.
So... a frame with BBS02 or BBSHD detuned to 750W - like on Luna cruisers if I understand them correctly - can be accelerated, straight off the shop, to 30 mph with throttle only?

Ride one at a KHS dealer if you can, no motor of course, then go to the seller for information on how they will set up the motor for you.

Resurrecting just to mention Luna no longer sell the Smoothie. A company in Utah is selling a KHS Smoothie conversion with a 500w TSDZ2 mid-drive and small 300wh saddle bag battery. Same stock front caliper rear coaster brakes.

Resurrecting just to mention Luna no longer sell the Smoothie. A company in Utah is selling a KHS Smoothie conversion with a 500w TSDZ2 mid-drive and small 300wh saddle bag battery. Same stock front caliper rear coaster brakes.
The 2017 and 2018 Smoothie were downgraded on brakes and wheels, but still a good place to start a build for less than the Townie. I have 3, one of each option.

Back from the dead!, BMEBikes in LA are offering a BBS02 conversion of the 7-speed derailleur version of the KHS Smoothie with linear pull brakes.

Back