D

Deleted member 803

I must say:

1. comfortable
2. mips system
3. bright lights
4. turn signals with wireless remote on handlebar
5. easy magnetic charging cables

Wow, am I impressed. Everything worked out of the box and I have had drivers pull up to me at stop signs to tell me how effective the lights and turn signals were.

My helmet of choice as of now.

https://lumoshelmet.co/

I've got the Kickstart and can't wait for the Matrix to come out.

I have not been able to find the MIPS version.. or are all the newer ones MIPS?

<edit/added>
They have a pre-order of a more bowl style helmet that has MIPS option but only in Black.

I want it White+MIPS.

I would think that people ordering high visibility helmets would order black as their LAST choice.

Last edited:
The new Street and Matrix models do come in white as well as black. They (along with the original Kickstart) can be ordered with or without MIPS.

Attachments

• 8C8F5B04-9FBB-417D-BB39-E0359E99A356.jpeg
    8C8F5B04-9FBB-417D-BB39-E0359E99A356.jpeg
    189.1 KB · Views: 696
I’ve just completed a review of the first Lumos Matrix

The MIPS orders are about 1 month behind

If you are thinking about a purchase, don’t get the white, as it’s a little soft touch, so marks easily

The full review if here if you are interested

https://titaniumgeek.com/lumos-matrix-helmet-review-a-commuter-helmet-like-no-other/
Excellent and thorough review. I am most critical in my extensive reviews (see FLX Blade review) and appreciate your attention to the fine detail. I have the original mips lumos helmet and hate it. I get stopped constantly by drivers and pedestrians wherever I ride yelling at me, "Hey, where'd you get that helmet." My poor Smith Optics helmet has been relegated to the shelf.

I will check my distributor and order the new design. For a first attempt at a product, Lumos has done an outstanding job. The only issues I have with my current version is that the software hiccuped a lot (lost my ability to change turn signal sounds) until they sent out an upgrade and that some of the outer shell appears to have a slight overmold and my fingers keep catching on it.

If you talk to the them tell them that a 63mm size is imperative. I have 4 friends who love the helmet but cant get into the current 61mm size.

They will have no issue with the new Matrix then. It’s almost too big for me to wear. Almost.

I don’t know which is the higher drawn back for me, the weight or the new fitting

I beta tested for Lumos. One of 50 in the world, before they went into production (Kickstarter). The released version had LED's fail in the 1st year, the head padding velcro unglued and the remote got flakey. They sent me a second one, and I bought another one for my wife. After 1 year or so, more failed LED's and no ability to use with my Apple watch. Tried 1 million fixes, no go, dead with the watch. Even bought a new watch, twice. Apple Series 3 and a Series 4. Had a Series 1. None work anymore.
They told me to pound salt, over the 1 year warranty on the second replacement.
So, now I have 2 Lumos helmets with bad LED's and non-communicating Apple watch ability.
They won't tell me the answer to my question about the "new" style helmet as to if they are using the same LED's or an improved version.
So, on 'announcement day' for the new Matrix, you could have ordered one, but have to wait for production and release and shipping, and they want your money (to fund the process?), so again, no answers, no improvement, they have a flawed product and refuse to offer any fix other than to say we'll give you a discount on the new version give us your money and wait for it.
Just so you know, when the original beta test was over and the release version was in production, it took almost 7 months (behind schedule) to get released, and the product has defects.
My wife has an identical helmet works differently (same firmware, etc.) and the point of this blast is to be aware that the cool factor is for sure a great thing, the safety is unmatched, but their support sucks, their communication is horrendous and it takes weeks for them to reply (if at all).
So, sure, when you got 'FU' money to throw away, and want the coolest helmet there is, buy it, but do be aware that it will die a slow death.
I ride 2 times a day, a few hours and use it all the time. So, the occasional user may not experience my woes, but if you are a heavy user, be aware of the flaws.

...but do be aware that it will die a slow death.
I ride 2 times a day, a few hours and use it all the time. So, the occasional user may not experience my woes, but if you are a heavy user, be aware of the flaws.

First of all, my sympathies for the way you were treated by Lumos support. Nevertheless, I should say that your experience with the product itself shouldn't be generalized. I've had my Kickstart helmet a long time, wearing it on my daily commute (12 miles each way). I have not experienced any LED failure.

No problem with Apple Watch connectivity either. However, the gesture control of the turn signals is a hit or miss: it's way too sensitive.

Agree that the helmet fit padding is subpar (and has since been enhanced, for a cost). I have one piece that keeps peeling off.

Overall, I'm happy with the helmet and have pre-ordered the upcoming Matrix.

$179 plus for a protective device that should be replaced every 5 years without any crash data, justsales pitches. About$10 I Aliexpress parts to update to an led display. Better yet, add a good wired in led rear light.

It would be an easy fix if I could identify better LED's, and perform surgery. However, that's why we pay $179 to the surgeon, not the patient.

It would be an easy fix if I could identify better LED's, .
For those of us that have some experience with led setups, it's massively overpriced. Like most surgeons. Overseas surgeries, "sugications" far less expensive and every bit as high quality as the best USA hospitals.

I ordered the Lumos Matrix helmet, and they accidentally shipped me the Street. So, be aware of that when you deal with Lumos. That said, receiving the Street was sort of a happy accident, as I think the Matrix would be too flashy for me. HOWEVER

I highly do not recommend EITHER helmet for one simple reason: The length of the left strap is fixed in place and has zero adjustment. And on my head, that strap is not long enough to meet the buckle under the middle of my jaw. Using all available adjustments on the Street, the best fit I could get had the buckle lying on my left jawbone, and not under my chin.

The previous Lumos helmet had an adjustment where you could adjust the relative length of each side of the strap, so you could dial in the buckle location to be under your chin. The new Lumos helmet removed that and the left strap and right straps are fixed into place on the helmet independently. So while you can adjust the right strap like normal, the left strap length is not adjustable at all and on my head (which fit the old Lumos just fine, and a ton of other bike helmets) the helmet totally doesn’t work because the buckle ends up resting on my jawbone, a big no no and specifically called out against in their directions.

Major junk. Great safety concept. I use daily. I have 2, one is my wife's. (Original Kickstarter Edition). More LED's burnt out. Bluetooth thumb buttons dead. Miserable support. No replies, no attempted resolve. I just wish another company would make a similar one that is a higher quality component helmet. Not the other junky ones on Amazon. I also find if baffling that every bike show I've been to in the last 2-3 years Lumos was never there with a display. I've previously expressed my dissatisfaction, and herby do so again. I understand that things don't last forever, but it's ridiculous the support, the warranty and the process. Go to their FAQ's. Read what it says about burnt out LED's.
YEA, I WANT TO WAIT 6-8 weeks, ship it at my cost, and have it happen again and again. It has!!
----
If you've received a helmet with one or more defective LED within 30 days of its arrival, we can send you a replacement.
If your helmet is within the warranty period but beyond the 30 days period, you must contact us at [email protected] to open your case via email. You will need to send in the helmet at your cost for us to either fix or replace your helmet. Lumos will ship back a helmet to you at our cost. This process may take up to 6 to 8 weeks.
To claim a replacement within 30 days, please email us with:
  • A photo of your helmet with the broken LED. Be sure to include your name in a piece of paper with your name in the photo so we can prove that it is yours.
  • Your order number (e.g. US#1234) or a copy of the receipt.
Please note that our warranty only covers our official channels of lumoshelmet.co or on our Amazon page. If you've bought it from an Authorized Retailer, you must bring up your warranty case with them.

My daughter ran into that same issue with the one strap not being adjustable. I don't know what brand her helmet was but she got so annoyed by it that she threw it in a trash bin.

To Lumos’s credit, their support system (accessible only via email, but those emails go into a trouble ticket system) has been very responsive to me, replying usually within 1-3 business days. It hasn’t been long enough for them to reply to my issue yet but given the problem is the design of their new helmet, there’s not going to be anything they can do for me except to issue a refund. Hopefully they succeed in doing just that.

I also never had any LED burn out issues or button issues with my previous gen Lumos, however I probably don’t ride as often as the average person, so my good luck here may just be a matter of limited wear time.

My daughter ran into that same issue with the one strap not being adjustable. I don't know what brand her helmet was but she got so annoyed by it that she threw it in a trash bin.

Glad to hear I’m not the only one! I genuinely cannot understand why any helmet manufacturer would ship a non-adjustable left strap, especially in a premium priced helmet like the Lumos.

I just noticed that the helmet Lumos shipped me (accidentally, instead of the Matrix I ordered), the Lumos Street, has been removed for sale from their web site. You can’t find the product from their front page at all. I was able to google the link to the product page for it in case anyone is curious, though there is no “Add to cart” button so they have definitely removed this from sale.

Makes me wonder why a helmet they just launched and happily shipped me a few days ago is now not even orderable. Could it be that this helmet isn’t a “one size fits all” but more of a “fits small heads only” sort of thing? Or a safety reason? No idea at this point. Looking forward to their reply to me.

Back