Lost my charger and want some advice.

popcatalin

I managed to loose my charger for my Quick E+ 2018. I live in Romania and is quite hard to find a charger for Giant, but there are plenty of Bosch chargers for sale. Do you think I can buy a Bosch one and change the connector. Connector is easy to find as XLR 3 pin connectors are used by microphones. Does anyone have any experience with non OEM chargers?

Thanks for reply Jim. Unfortunately the fact that I live in Romania is a pretty big limitation for me as a lot of sellers from Amazon don't ship their products here or in case of the Lunacycle the transport costs 65$ which is pretty expensive in my opinion. We have a website similar to eBay here in Romania and people are selling a lot of bosh chargers and they are pretty cheap. I am interested if anyone knows if it's compatible with the EnergyPack battery.

Jim, I’m glad to find this thread and your helpful links. Thank you!

I should be receiving my new bike on Tuesday and I haven’t even seen it or the charger yet. But when I asked my dealer about the possibility of getting a second charger (thinking I might leave one at home and one at my office) he told me the cost was something like $700!!! Forget about that idea for sure!

But the chargers you linked to are reasonably priced and the idea of getting another charger is back in my head.

Can you, or anyone here, tell me what the charger connector to the battery is on the Giant 500w battery?

Is anyone here successfully using an aftermarket charger on their Giant battery?

I should be receiving my new bike on Tuesday and I haven’t even seen it or the charger yet. But when I asked my dealer about the possibility of getting a second charger (thinking I might leave one at home and one at my office) he told me the cost was something like $700!!! Forget about that idea for sure!

But the chargers you linked to are reasonably priced and the idea of getting another charger is back in my head.

Can you, or anyone here, tell me what the charger connector to the battery is on the Giant 500w battery?

Is anyone here successfully using an aftermarket charger on their Giant battery?

Biker, I don't know about the Giant battery but I bought the Luna charger ( 48v version). It comes with a (male) XT-60 connector on the end of the charging cord. Luna sells XT-60 connector pigtails and, if your battery is a simple barrel connector, you can also purchase a barrel connector from them to attach to one of their (female) XT-60 pigtails and you are good to go.

If you have something different than a barrel connector (as in my case), I cut off the connector from my original charger cord and spliced it to a (female) XT-60 (so it would attach to the Luna charger). I also spliced a (male) XT-60 on to the severed end of the original charger so that it would also accept my connector. Now I can just switch the charging plug between chargers (although my original charger is collecting dust on a shelf). Hope that answers your question.

Mine's a 3 pin XLR connector, and I think most all Giant chargers are.

Biker, I don't know about the Giant battery but I bought the Luna charger ( 48v version). It comes with a (male) XT-60 connector on the end of the charging cord. Luna sells XT-60 connector pigtails and, if your battery is a simple barrel connector, you can also purchase a barrel connector from them to attach to one of their (female) XT-60 pigtails and you are good to go.

If you have something different than a barrel connector (as in my case), I cut off the connector from my original charger cord and spliced it to a (female) XT-60 (so it would attach to the Luna charger). I also spliced a (male) XT-60 on to the severed end of the original charger so that it would also accept my connector. Now I can just switch the charging plug between chargers (although my original charger is collecting dust on a shelf). Hope that answers your question.

Sorry, since you were replying in the Giant forum I thought you had familiarity with at least some Giant batteries.

Dave tells me the connector is a 3 pin XLR... now I’ve got to search out what that is. At least this looks very doable. And for reasonable cost too!

Cheers!

Thanks Dave. Did you ever try an after market charger?
No, I haven't needed one so far. First couple of times I commuted to work I just threw the charger (not heavy) in my backpack along with my lunch. I realized that my commute was easily done on one charge.

Sorry, since you were replying in the Giant forum I thought you had familiarity with at least some Giant batteries.

Dave tells me the connector is a 3 pin XLR... now I’ve got to search out what that is. At least this looks very doable. And for reasonable cost too!

Cheers!
Here's the male charger end. Female is on the battery covered by a rubber flap.

XLR is what is used on microphones.

https://www.amazon.ca/CableCreation...ale+connector&qid=1565554805&s=gateway&sr=8-4

@DaveMatthews - Darn bike STILL hasn't arrived! Second day in a row that Canpar tracking reports "with courier" after it having arrived at the Montreal terminal on Monday. SIGH

Anyway, the Giant charger connector has 3 connections... the other chargers (linked at the top of this thread) appear to have only two, a plus and minus. I wonder if the Giant charger itself contains some kind of circuitry that uses that third connection. I wish I knew more about electronics. I'd love to have a second charger to keep at the office but can't justify the cost of the genuine Giant one, and now I am afraid that using some other charger might somehow damage the battery.

I've sent an email off to the charger folks to see what they say.

Last edited:
@DaveMatthews - Darn bike STILL hasn't arrived! Second day in a row that Canpar tracking reports "with courier" after it having arrived at the Montreal terminal on Monday. SIGH

Anyway, the Giant charger connector has 3 connections... the other chargers (linked at the top of this thread) appear to have only two, a plus and minus. I wonder if the Giant charger itself contains some kind of circuitry that uses that third connection. I wish I knew more about electronics. I'd love to have a second charger to keep at the office but can't justify the cost of the genuine Giant one, and now I am afraid that using some other charger might somehow damage the battery.

I've sent an email off to the charger folks to see what they say.
Frustrating the bike's not there yet!
The two links to 3rd party chargers on Amazon appear to be the right XLR 3 pin type.
This one is only 2A which would make for a longer charge time

This one is 5A which would make the charge time faster.

My charger is 3A if I recall correctly.

I ordered one from Giant, it should arrive in a month or so. I charged my battery from a lab source which has the option to set the amperage and voltage. I charged at 41.8 and 2 amp. I noticed that after charging I got an A4 error on my screen and the mileage did not update when I was switching between eco/normal/sport. My range was 100 when I plugged the battery and remained to 100 on all modes. Through usage the range dropped and the error disappeared. After performing a system check from the application I noticed that my battery life dropped from 100 to 99..... not sure if that is a big deal. I have a feeling that the charger communicates in some way with the battery, so I don't think is recommended to use a non OEM charger. At least that was my experience.

Just passing on this info to people that can purchase from U.S. Amazon. I saw this awhile ago and took notice because I have friends with XLR chargers. I don't own this charger.

--

42V 2A Charger for 36V Ebike Electric Bicycle Li-ion Battery, E-Scooter Power Chair Wheelchair Two-Wheel Vehicle Power Charging Adapter with 3-Pin Male XLR Connector https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GGGCDLN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_LTuvDbTCE84ZZ

Just passing on this info to people that can purchase from U.S. Amazon. I saw this awhile ago and took notice because I have friends with XLR chargers. I don't own this charger.

--

42V 2A Charger for 36V Ebike Electric Bicycle Li-ion Battery, E-Scooter Power Chair Wheelchair Two-Wheel Vehicle Power Charging Adapter with 3-Pin Male XLR Connector https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GGGCDLN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_LTuvDbTCE84ZZ

TWELVE DOLLARS???? I want to save money, but this charger just scares me. How could it be any good?

I ordered one from Giant, it should arrive in a month or so. I charged my battery from a lab source which has the option to set the amperage and voltage. I charged at 41.8 and 2 amp. I noticed that after charging I got an A4 error on my screen and the mileage did not update when I was switching between eco/normal/sport. My range was 100 when I plugged the battery and remained to 100 on all modes. Through usage the range dropped and the error disappeared. After performing a system check from the application I noticed that my battery life dropped from 100 to 99..... not sure if that is a big deal. I have a feeling that the charger communicates in some way with the battery, so I don't think is recommended to use a non OEM charger. At least that was my experience.

I'm somewhat afraid of using a non-OEM charger also, but here in Canada a genuine Giant charger is really expensive. The Cycle Satiator (linked at the top of this thread) looks like the best 3rd-party option and while it's a lot cheaper than the Giant one, it's still darn expensive. But that one looks like it would be even better (and better for the battery) than the Giant one. I might end up ordering one. After my ride in this morning my battery is down to 62% and while that's enough (should be) for me to ride home tonight, it doesn't allow me a lot of wiggle room if I want to run some errands during the day. So I'm really tempted to get a second charger.

@Mtl_Biker Be aware that the last 20% of the battery won't last near as long as it tells you that it will. I learned the hard way. 20% told me I had about 16 miles remaining, I needed 8 so I figured I would be fine... I got about 4 in ECO mode and then a long slow (mostly uphill) ride back to my car.. It made me very thankful for the second front chainring!

@Mtl_Biker Be aware that the last 20% of the battery won't last near as long as it tells you that it will. I learned the hard way. 20% told me I had about 16 miles remaining, I needed 8 so I figured I would be fine... I got about 4 in ECO mode and then a long slow (mostly uphill) ride back to my car.. It made me very thankful for the second front chainring!

Good to know! Thanks. I'll have to carefully learn how much reserve I really have. But I'm pretty certain I'll end up buying a charger to keep at my office. But not the Giant one. I'm looking at the Cycle Satiator and while still pretty expensive, it's cheaper than the Giant one. And possibly better.

Back