Lost my charger and want some advice.

I would have bought the Cycle Satiator as my second if it hadn't been more expensive than a giant one here in the US. It looks like a great, reliable charger.

I would have bought the Cycle Satiator as my second if it hadn't been more expensive than a giant one here in the US. It looks like a great, reliable charger.
Really? Here in Canada the dealer told me that the Giant charger is over $750. And the Cycle Satiator is $400. How much is the Giant charger in the States? It’s not on any websites I’ve checked.

I think it was $199 at my local store.

If that's true, I too would grab it. I just can't believe there's such an incredible difference in price between the US and Canada for the charger. I'm going to call some dealers in upper NY and VT this morning when they open. If it's true, I would get the Giant one from the States and forget about the Cycle Satiator. But whatever, I DO need a second charger. I'm told that when the percentage remaining gets low, the estimated remaining distance is completely wrong. And for me, even without running errands during the day, I'm dangerously close to running out of battery just with my two-way commute. So being able to top up at work is going to be needed.

I think it was $199 at my local store.

I've called three Giant dealers in upper NY State (and one of them I know as a really top quality dealer as I've bought from them often... High Peaks Cyclery in Lake Placid), and none of them have a charger and none have ever sold one separately and none even have a price. Two of them called me back to say they actually need to call Giant on Monday in order to find price and availability. Seems surprising to me that none of their clients have ever requested a second charger. So probably I'll hear back from them sometime next week.

But... What crazy dealerships Giant seems to have! Before buying my Explore E+1 I asked more than one dealer about the cost of a second charger and a battery. I'm really not kidding, but I was told the charger was $700+ and that a battery was close to a thousand. (Canadian dollars.) And these items are not listed on Giant's website in Canada or the US, so there was no way for me to check the prices.

Anyway, after hearing from @pullenj that he thought the charger was $199 at his local store and my calling around to US dealers, I called one more fairly local dedicated Giant dealer. They tell me they have the charger in stock and that the price is $199 CDN. WOW!!!!!!! This is really crazy. How could the other (3) dealers I checked with earlier have been so wrong about the cost?

So, I'm not going to buy a Cycle Satiator for double the cost of a Giant charger. Even if it's a better charger, I just can't justify the difference. I'll drive out to that dealer tomorrow and pick up the spare charger.

Last edited:
@Mtl_Biker I'm glad you found one. I needed to have a second one at work as my battery wont quite make it through my commute. Sounds like you may have found a good shop to stick with. I know when I was buying my ebike, I checked out a lot of shops hoping to find one where they were knowledgeable and helpful for the long run and didn't just want to sell the bike and never see me again.

No way! Sign me up!
Link?
Phone number?
Seattle Electric Bike is the company and they have 3 stores in the area. North Seattle, Bothell & Bellingham. Great company, they know a lot and more importantly they are willing to go the extra mile to get the information that you need. They've always been super helpful.

Last edited:
Ya so giant energypak 500 charger has a male XLR 3 pin connector. But just your typically 36V Li-ion Charger won't work. Has anyone found a 3rd party 36V charger that will work with the giant energypak 500 power supply? if you do please contact me at facebook.com/bobmutch/

bob

Last edited:
Ya so giant energypak 500 charger has a male XLR 3 pin connector. But just your typically 36V Li-ion Charger won't work. Has anyone found a 3rd party 36V charger that will work with the giant energypak 500 power supply? if you do please contact me at facebook.com/bobmutch/

bob
Many of us are not on Facebook... and if you post a question here, it's sort of normal that you come back here to see the replies. SHRUG It's a bit mutch to ask us to reply via Facebook.

Are you looking for a 3rd party charger to save money, or for some other reason? The chargers that I'd found, that I was sure would work on the Giant battery,all were more expensive (like double) than the OEM Giant charger. The Cycle Statiator for example would work and indeed it might even work at lot better than the Giant charger but it's more than double the cost.

I bought an Electric Scooter Charger with 3 pin XLR Male connector. The output is 24V, DC is 2 A. It works great!

Attachments

• Electric Scooter.jpg
    Electric Scooter.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 382
  • Scooter Charger.jpg
    Scooter Charger.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 371
  • electric Scooter Charger.jpg
    electric Scooter Charger.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 358
Back