Loose Motor on Como 2.0 UPDATE: Cracked Frame (Vados too)

Got a call Saturday and two calls today, all from my LBS. I'm getting a new Vado 5 to replace my Vado 4 (model 2017). We came out on the Vado 5 because the new Vado 4 has different parts than the Vado 4 2017.
Great how the LBS and specialized dealt with this.

I’ve got a 2018 Vado 3.0 that developed a wobble in the crank. I dropped it off at the LBS last night and it’s a cracked motor casing. Sucks to have to deal with this, but it least it sounds like everyone has gotten a good resolution to the problem.

I’ve got a 2018 Vado 3.0 that developed a wobble in the crank. I dropped it off at the LBS last night and it’s a cracked motor casing. Sucks to have to deal with this, but it least it sounds like everyone has gotten a good resolution to the problem.

Sorry to hear this. Hope you get a commensurate replacement bike in short order. Please keep us posted.

Wow, one more. Sorry for you. But yes, so far everyone seems to get a good response from Specialized, Be aware that the 2020 Vado 3.0 has the 1.2E motor, offering reduced max. output and torque from your 2018, so you might want to either try one before accepting it as a replacement, or ask for a 4.0. I accepted a 3.0 as a replacement for my 2.0, and although I feared I would deeply miss the extra power, I have not found it an issue personally. You might.

Sigh, picked up my new Vado 4.0 today and didn’t try it out at the store, got home to find that the motor kicks out at 16mph! Brought it back, but too late in the day to deal with it. Hopefully tomorrow …

Sigh, picked up my new Vado 4.0 today and didn’t try it out at the store, got home to find that the motor kicks out at 16mph! Brought it back, but too late in the day to deal with it. Hopefully tomorrow …

They just need to do the full update for you. I picked my Como 3.0 up before they did that and had the same problem. Took it back, they updated it, and all was well. And it only takes 10 minutes. I also had them adjust the circumference so that I get a full 19.5 mph out of it. On the Como, that magic number is 2190.

Last edited:
Does it have the EU software? I can’t understand how a bike sold in the US could kick out at 16mph. ( 25 -26kph)

Got it back yesterday and made my first commute to work today - 11 miles each way and it was 16°F this morning. I have to say, the 2020 Vado 4.0 is way nicer than the 2018 Vado 3.0. I can feel the torque difference, the new 4.0 takes a little longer to get up to full speed, but it cruises so much smoother and I can legit maintain 28 mph on level ground, which I could never do on my 2018 Vado 3.0.
Hopefully this one proves to be more durable.

Like most of the mid drive bikes, the motor is often integral to the frame design. I think Specialized had a bit of an issue with the torque settings on the mounting bolts, which made the motor wobble and created a weak point in the frame, which in some cases riding the bike cracked the frame. Seriously could happen to most of the mid drives I have looked at, no matter the brand.
And like most of the brands would do, Specialized came good for it!
My 2020 Vado 5 is definitely smoother than the older one I rode. Over time my old BionX and even my Shimano ebike got better with each system update. It's all about the programmers - they rule the world:)

Like most of the mid drive bikes, the motor is often integral to the frame design. I think Specialized had a bit of an issue with the torque settings on the mounting bolts, which made the motor wobble and created a weak point in the frame, which in some cases riding the bike cracked the frame. Seriously could happen to most of the mid drives I have looked at, no matter the brand.
And like most of the brands would do, Specialized came good for it!
My 2020 Vado 5 is definitely smoother than the older one I rode. Over time my old BionX and even my Shimano ebike got better with each system update. It's all about the programmers - they rule the world:)

I think there is a key difference with the Specialized design... there is less frame material for support compared to Bosch and Shimano designs.

1574308330542.png

Last edited:
Hi guys My Vado 3.0 2017 has broke in the same spot, i was realized when pedaling, feeling crankset like missaligned, finally in my LBS was confirmed the worst, broked in the motor union to the frame. Specialized send me very quickly (very nice surprise) a new Vado 3.0 2020 NB.

The worst part are my Vado 3.0 2017 have better components than the new Vado 3.0 2020, like: fork (15mm thru-axle vs 9mm), cassete (11-42t 10v versus 9v 11-36t), rear derailleur (deore shadow plus 10v vs alivio 9v), brakes (Shimano vs Tekro). I'm in conversation with my LBS to keep those components on the new bike. What do you think about that?.

For the stats: The broken bike was bought in Spain in June of 2018.

Thanks

Regards

Last edited:
Good news is you got a replacement. Bad news for me: How will my 2017 Vado behave in the future is uncertain.
I understand your pain @Victor B. I confirm Specialized used top components in 2017 Vado models and new models are downgraded. Yes, please ask the dealer to let you keep the old components. Please report how it all ended.

I will tell you my Vado will be converted to a new display in some future. I will loose the 600 lm headlight (to be replaced with the 205 lumen light), perfect rear light will be replaced with something inferior etc. I can only hope my frame would last as the components in 2017 Vado are far better. For example TRP Zurich brakes vs Tektro.

P.S. If my frame breaks, I will go through the pain of de-registering my old bike, hoping for some refund from insurance company, registering the new bike and insuring it again. Oh, no!

Good news is you got a replacement. Bad news for me: How will my 2017 Vado behave in the future is uncertain.
I understand your pain @Victor B. I confirm Specialized used top components in 2017 Vado models and new models are downgraded. Yes, please ask the dealer to let you keep the old components. Please report how it all ended.

I will tell you my Vado will be converted to a new display in some future. I will loose the 600 lm headlight (to be replaced with the 205 lumen light), perfect rear light will be replaced with something inferior etc. I can only hope my frame would last as the components in 2017 Vado are far better. For example TRP Zurich brakes vs Tektro.

Hi Stefan, my dealer it's very kind to me and has no problem to swap those components. I think i prefer swapping. In addition to the mechanicals components, details such as silver on the fork make my new Vado feel cheaper.

In my Vado 2017, i replaced the bloks display with the new TCD-W (covered by the warranty campaign), but this was in mid-2019, i don't know what the Specialized policy with bloks displays is now.

The BLOKS replacement was easy for all "normal" Vado e-bikes. More complicated with S-Pedelecs. Still waiting for paid replacement... You're from Spain Victor? Nice!

Back