Looking to replace my Rad Rover suspension fork with a rigid fork.

CodyDog

Region
USA
City
Colorado
I'm wanting to replace my front suspension fork with a rigid fork. Any advise?

Thanks,

Last edited:
@CodyDog, just checked the specs for your Rad Rover and that suspension fork has a lockout adjustment at the top of the forks. This would be the equivalent of riding with a rigid fork without spending $$ and labor for different forks. Unfortunately, neither the Rad Power site nor the Owner's Manual for your ebike mention the brand & model of suspension fork you have so I can't be more specific. Get that info off of the fork and do an internet search for instructions on how to set your fork. You may have gotten a separate info sheet along with the Owner's Manual that's just for the fork, too.

@CodyDog, just checked the specs for your Rad Rover and that suspension fork has a lockout adjustment at the top of the forks. This would be the equivalent of riding with a rigid fork without spending $$ and labor for different forks. Unfortunately, neither the Rad Power site nor the Owner's Manual for your ebike mention the brand & model of suspension fork you have so I can't be more specific. Get that info off of the fork and do an internet search for instructions on how to set your fork. You may have gotten a separate info sheet along with the Owner's Manual that's just for the fork, too.

Thanks for the reply.

I locked mine out since I only travel on paved roadways. The Supercell fat tires soak up the casual road imperfections really well even aired up at 18 psi (20 max).

Locking out the suspension is not equivalent. Suspensions, especially low end ones, are very heavy.

I swapped out the suspension on my Juiced CCS and it made the front end way lighter and more agile. In tandem with a plush 2.35" G-One speed balloon tire, it was an excellent improvement. Highly recommend.

I went with a Salsa CroMoto. Talk to a local bike shop that sells Salsa, and ask them if it will be compatible, and if so order one through them.

I looked around for other steel rigid forks with wide clearance, that was the best option I found (recommended by Ravi Kempaiah, the forum member with the Guinness record for ebiking).

I swapped out my Mozo for a rigid and it was a big improvement in handling _DSC1774.jpg and especially downhill braking. Even with lockout , there's still movement and flex.

Locking out the suspension is not equivalent. Suspensions, especially low end ones, are very heavy.

I swapped out the suspension on my Juiced CCS and it made the front end way lighter and more agile. In tandem with a plush 2.35" G-One speed balloon tire, it was an excellent improvement. Highly recommend.

I went with a Salsa CroMoto. Talk to a local bike shop that sells Salsa, and ask them if it will be compatible, and if so order one through them.

I looked around for other steel rigid forks with wide clearance, that was the best option I found (recommended by Ravi Kempaiah, the forum member with the Guinness record for ebiking).

Thanks fr the info Asher.

@Asher, your post got me thinking perhaps I should look at swapping out my suspension fork too since I only use my RadRover on paved streets. I contacted Salsa Cycles with a question about compatibility with my 2018 RadRover and got the following response:

“None of our frames or forks are designed or tested around use on E-Bikes so we cannot recommend or condone doing so.” ~ Evan from Salsa Cycles

Sounds like a typical lawyer mandated CYA response, but in any case proceed at my own risk.

I get around 2 1/2 to 3 inches of travel with my suspension forks when I work commute (going by the dirt marks on the forks). My max speed can reach 25-26 mph on some downhill runs; but, usually 17-22 mph depending on incline and wind.

I did try work commuting with the lock-out engaged and didn't like how much of the road bumps were being transmitted to my arm, shoulders, and back compared with the forks open. I did tighten up the forks with the knob opposite of the lock/open button along with changing out the tires to Vee8 120 tpi set to 20-23 psi.

I went to my LBS today to look for a rigid fork for my Rad. The only one we could come up with that matches the demeinsions of the 2018 Rad RST suspension fork was a Surly Pugsley Fork 135mm Hub Spacing 17.5mm Offset Straight Blade Black PN FK0030
It look like it weighs 2.5 pounds. Made out of Chrome Moly.

I did tighten up the forks with the knob opposite of the lock/open button along with changing out the tires to Vee8 120 tpi set to 20-23 psi.
Do you know if there's an online guide to explain the presets on the fork or is it just left up to experimentation? All new to me.

I went to my LBS today to look for a rigid fork for my Rad. The only one we could come up with that matches the demeinsions of the 2018 Rad RST suspension fork was a Surly Pugsley Fork 135mm Hub Spacing 17.5mm Offset Straight Blade Black PN FK0030
It look like it weighs 2.5 pounds. Made out of Chrome Moly.
Going for it? If so, let me know how it works out. Does it have bosses for a front fender?

Do you know if there's an online guide to explain the presets on the fork or is it just left up to experimentation? All new to me.

Couldn't find any documentation on the Radrover forks. I just had to keep twisting, test riding, and trying different tire PSI that felt good to me with my mix of riding at my weight of +270 lbs. I had to do the same for my wife's Radcity Step-Thru. The Radcity forks were so bouncy to the the point it felt unsafe to her nearing max speed. Adjusting the rebound for her really improved and stabilized the ride for her (I think I turned the know about 4-6 times just to get it right for her). She also had a lot of loose spokes on her Radcity that might have added to some flex at speed.

Going for it? If so, let me know how it works out. Does it have bosses for a front fender?

Think I'll give it a try. Here's a pic. May need to modify a fender bracket to fit what appear to be bosses on each upper side.

wLHTB7p.jpg

@Asher, your post got me thinking perhaps I should look at swapping out my suspension fork too since I only use my RadRover on paved streets. I contacted Salsa Cycles with a question about compatibility with my 2018 RadRover and got the following response:

“None of our frames or forks are designed or tested around use on E-Bikes so we cannot recommend or condone doing so.” ~ Evan from Salsa Cycles

Sounds like a typical lawyer mandated CYA response, but in any case proceed at my own risk.

The CroMoto is designed for loaded touring IIRC, so doing light ebike commuting at 20-28 mph isn't outside its operating capability. These kinds of things are always over engineered for their intended use, since weight isn't a huge factor, so I wouldn't worry.

I've heard Salsa hardware is better than Surly.

Think I'll give it a try. Here's a pic. May need to modify a fender bracket to fit what appear to be bosses on each upper side.

wLHTB7p.jpg
Checking in to see if you made the change? I would like to do the same if this fork is compatible with the 2018 RR. The the price is right, and it appears to have better mounting options for a front pannier rack?

Any idea if the stock brakes will fit this fork?

Back