Looking for suspension advice.

PCeBiker

Region
Canada
I've got a newish Voltbike Outback with full suspension.

20240831_165024.jpg

I just replaced my front shocks with a SR Suntour AION35 Fork with 160 mm of travel and I've got a RockShox Monarch R rear shock on the back.

Screenshot_20240902-091009_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Screenshot_20240902-090905_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I've got Schwalbe Super Moto-X HS 27.5 x 2.8 tires with RaceGuard Performance that are inflatable from 30-55 psi.

I'm struggling with all the different possibilities of air pressures in my shocks and tires as well as my rebound settings.

I set my shock pressures to roughly 30% preload like I'm supposed to and my tire pressures to 38 to be somewhere in the middle.

I went for a ride and set both shocks to maximum rebound damping then minimum to try and feel the difference.
I decided to leave them at minimum damping.

I know there's all kinds of wrong with everything I've got and how I set it, and I want to know what ?

I gots lots of dials to play with, and I wanna know how to work em. 😂

How much range do you get out of those 2 batteries? Also, is that seat comfy?

I rode 106 km in 4 hours with quite a bit left on the second battery.

I charge the second battery (19ah) to ~52.5 volts so it isn't fully charged if I don't need it.

The first battery (25ah) was fully charged.

I'm sure that I could go 100 miles if I slowed down and fully drained the batteries, but I ain't about to start pedaling. 😂

20240831_175857.jpg

Also, is that seat comfy?

My butt lasted 4 hours. 😂

I installed a nose less seat but found the "edges" of the seat kinda hard and they dug into my butt, so I put my gell seat on top of it.

I'm used to it now, and I don't get a numb butt anymore, but it took a lot of miles on a lot of seats and seat covers to toughen up my ass. 😂

I'm struggling with all the different possibilities of air pressures in my shocks and tires as well as my rebound settings.

I set my shock pressures to roughly 30% preload like I'm supposed to and my tire pressures to 38 to be somewhere in the middle.

I went for a ride and set both shocks to maximum rebound damping then minimum to try and feel the difference.
I decided to leave them at minimum damping.

I know there's all kinds of wrong with everything I've got and how I set it, and I want to know what ?

I gots lots of dials to play with, and I wanna know how to work em. 😂

You have the basic concept correct - set sag around 25-40% with you onboard , then get the rebound dampening as quick as you feel comfortable with. On a bike that's going to be ridden aggressively, we have a trick for this - roll along standing in a neutral position, pump into the bike as hard as possible, and when the suspension rebounds both tyres should JUST come off the ground .

But once we have that basic set up, the real fun begins. You should probably stop reading now , at least untill you have reconsidered that stem.

Compression adjustment then needs sorting out - find a reproducible circuit with a few drops, jumps, and technical corners with rocks or corrugations. Hit it at moderate speed, and gradually increase compression until it starts feeling comfortable. Ideally, the biggest hit at highest speed will use most of the travel evenly, but the bike retains composure and grip through corrugated corners. Getting this balance right is where both high and low speed compression adjustment helps. If that balance isn't quite achievable, we then start tweaking the air pressure - or even the actual air spring volume via internal spacers / tokens . Then repeat the whole process again....

Eventually we have a bike that rides through that circuit with us aboard on that day . Write these settings down, then use them as a basis to start from. Because they'll need further adjustment depending on each days temperature / atmospheric pressure / your mood , enthusiasm, and when / how you last had an orgasm. Yes, there is a reason teenage riders are so fast , as well as a reason that fun tracks are " double diamond" - it's all about pre ride prep , and the " hard core" riders have learnt the tricks of the trade / price of entry. Try not to snigger next time you see a teenager doing a blue run

You have the basic concept correct - set sag around 25-40% with you onboard , then get the rebound dampening as quick as you feel comfortable with. On a bike that's going to be ridden aggressively, we have a trick for this - roll along standing in a neutral position, pump into the bike as hard as possible, and when the suspension rebounds both tyres should JUST come off the ground .

Lol,.. I was just doing that earlier today, trying to get a feel for everything.

I pulled over to the gravel/dirt side of the road and locked my throttle at full (17 amps at whatever voltage at the time).

The motor is off until I let go of the brakes (brake switches) then let go and started pumping up and down as hard as I could.
I got the front end off the ground, but I couldn't get the rear end off the ground.
I did however, manage to loosen up the rear end enough that with each bounce I spun the rear wheel.

That was kinda fun, but after the 5th or 6th bounce, I was starting to loose control, so I sat down and behaved myself. 😂

But once we have that basic set up, the real fun begins. You should probably stop reading now , at least untill you have reconsidered that stem.

OK,..

I'm thinking something like this,..

Screenshot_20240902-173527_AliExpress.jpg

Or this,..

Screenshot_20240902-173559_AliExpress.jpg

This one looks about right,.??
Installed backwards of course, cuz that's how I roll. 😂

Screenshot_20240902-173751_AliExpress.jpg

I'm going to do my homework first before I order though, cuz I keep buying stuff that doesn't fit.

Do you want to buy a Top Peak rear rack before I put the MAP Gas to it and bend it to fit?

I'll ship it to the Police Department in the land of OZ postmarked "Give This To Pdoz Please,.." 😂

Compression adjustment then needs sorting out - find a reproducible circuit with a few drops, jumps, and technical corners with rocks or corrugations.

I finally found a place to ride off-road today without trespassing or pissing people off,..

20240902_152432.jpg
20240902_152441.jpg

I tried to get my e-bike in first gear but it was stuck in second, so I had to adjust my shifter cable to get in first, then thought it would be smart to ride up and around the hill to the left first to see how it was going to go.
My e-bike is completely gutless with ½ hp hub motor so I had to help by pedaling.
That sucked. 😂

I got up to the top a hundred feet or so behind the hill.
The ruts were mucky, so tried to ride on the grass between the ruts and my tires wouldn't climb out of the rut.
I got off and hit the throttle and the rear wheel just spun and pushed forward until I was at a 45° angle.

My Super Moto X tires, ain't got no sidewall knobs,..

I got to the top of the hill looking down and decided to take a before and after picture of my big ole Wipeout down the hill. 😂

While I was walking back to frame my e-bike in the picture with the hill, I thought I heard someone say something.

It was two dirt-bikers approaching.
As they passed me I asked "Is that electric?"
They said "Yeah"
I said "COOL !! No Noise, No Stink!!"

I jumped on my e-bike and followed them down the hill standing on my pedals so I could keep my wheels in the 6" wide rut.

I got to bottom and the guy in front of me hit the throttle and did a quick skid turn and sprayed some gravel.

I said "I can't do that !!"
(Mostly because I've got ½ a hp, but also cuz I'm older than the dirt I was riding on. 😂)

Then they hung a left a the guy in front stood on his rear wheel and did a 30 foot wheelie.

I said "I can't do that either,.."
(Mostly because I never learned and partly cuz I'm old as dirt. 😂)

20240902_153143.jpg

20240902_153148.jpg

I decided that I had enough excitement for one day and I didn't want to risk breaking myself or my ebike, so I didn't try to climb up the hill.
I think it's 10% grade or something?
I didn't have my compass, level, and Plumb Bob with me. 😂

Hit it at moderate speed, and gradually increase compression until it starts feeling comfortable. Ideally, the biggest hit at highest speed will use most of the travel evenly, but the bike retains composure and grip through corrugated corners. Getting this balance right is where both high and low speed compression adjustment helps.

I ain't gots high and low or compression damping, just 32 clicks of rebound adjustment.

I have it all the way up (or down or whatever? It feels like I'm riding a marshmallow. 😂)

If that balance isn't quite achievable, we then start tweaking the air pressure - or even the actual air spring volume via internal spacers / tokens . Then repeat the whole process again....

I don't want no tokens.
My shocks are available in 160, 150, 140, 130, and 120mm of travel.

Screenshot_20240902-185704_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

I figure, reducing a 😎 fork with 160 mm of travel to 120 mm is a waste of money, and I like marshmallows anyway. 😂

Eventually we have a bike that rides through that circuit with us aboard on that day . Write these settings down, then use them as a basis to start from. Because they'll need further adjustment depending on each days temperature / atmospheric pressure / your mood , enthusiasm, and when / how you last had an orgasm. Yes, there is a reason teenage riders are so fast , as well as a reason that fun tracks are " double diamond" - it's all about pre ride prep , and the " hard core" riders have learnt the tricks of the trade / price of entry. Try not to snigger next time you see a teenager doing a blue run

I did not snigger at the two teenagers I saw today.
I was quite impressed with their machines and their abilities.

It would be pretty cool to have an electric dirt-bike, but they're not street legal and I don't want to push it 10 miles to the dirt track.

There ARE electric street legal dirt bikes, at least over here innOZ - but Sit down before looking at the price!

There ARE electric street legal dirt bikes, at least over here innOZ - but Sit down before looking at the price!

Yeah, here in 🇨🇦 too EH.
But, then you have to be fully licensed and insured.

My e-bike is legally a bicycle.
You just have to be over 16 years old and wear a helmet.
The e-bike can't go over 32 kph (on level ground), the motor is restricted to 500 Watts nominal, and throttles are legal.

I feel A Lot more comfortable riding no-hands on my "bicycle" than I ever did on my motorcycle.
I try to be safe about it and always hold on when a car approaches.

I can ride no-hands for half an hour without seeing a vehicle or having to grab the handlebars,..

20240831_141919.jpg

A few years ago they legalized Quads on the local roads except for highways, but the Quad needs to be fully insured and licensed just like a car.
The plate and insurance are cheaper though, just like snowmobile licensing.

I believe that we are allowed to build our own igloo without a building permit, but our pet polar bears need to be licensed and registered. 😂

Back