Looking for extended Range

J31968

I have a Raleigh Tekoa IE. I used to be an avid rider until age started getting the better of my knees. About 3 years I quit riding because I couldn't handle hills or long gradient climbs anymore. At the time I had considered E boosting my bike but supplies and information were limited. Recently I starting looking again because I simply have to get some weight off and get myself back in shape. I live in Eastern TN and have a hilly excersize run that I can now accomplish on the Raleigh. I have experimented with different front chain rings and have the bike to a point where it is easy (on my knees)to pedal with no assistance and I can get about 30 miles in level 1 assist traveling at 10-15 mph. The Raliegh no tops out at 22 mph assist and on flat ground I can get up to about 27 mph on my own. I don't exactly know what my cadence is but would guess in the 40-60 range. I am at 280lbs 6' tall with a target weight of 225lbs. I have been looking at Haibike, especially the Sduro hardseven 6.0. I would like to extend my range while staying in the 10-15mph range so I don't run off and leave my wife in the dust. Target distance would be 40 miles. I know the answer is ride 10 at 0 assistance and then turn it on. I have found that my knees will handle the distance if I maintain a low level of assist through out the ride. I prefer to stay with a mountain bike type format and a well known reputable company ( not a fund me operation ). Your input is greatly appreciated

I have exactly the same model. You can put it to zero assist level while still using the display by holding the power button while in assist level 1.
" There is a zero level and to access it you need to hold the power button for a couple of seconds in assist level 1 which isn’t super intuitive. You can switch from mph to kph by holding the box icon button. "

https://electricbikereview.com/raleigh/tekoa-ie/

Good luck.

I watched that review multiple times before I purchased mine. I wish they sold and extended amp hour battery. and 11.5 or 15 would really extend the range. I had considered rebuilding the pack when it goes out of warranty. I am considering keeping this one for around the house and getting something with a longer range for monthly treks on the Creeper or the New River trail.

I have 3 batteries. My Izip dash also uses the same battery plus I ordered one separate battery. It's a lot of money but i don't want to mess around with the original factory spec. I got my Tekoa at a great bargain ($1800). The savings is more than enough for a second battery.

Last edited:
Instead of buying a new bike, you could just get a spare battery, especially if you are happy with the Raleigh in all other respects. I sometimes take the battery off of my wife's identical Magnum Ui5 and carry it with me so that I can ride 50-60 miles at a time. And then when I do not need the extreme range, I can just hop on and ride with less weight. However, the added weight of the second battery is hardly noticeable on a 55 pound ebike.

I had seriously considered buying an extra pack . However I've had a heck of a time trying to get a rack mounted on this bike. I finally gave up and put a triangle , handle bar and saddle bag on it so i could carry my tire change kit, and necessities on longer rides. Yeh, I could have used p clamps but I had them break in the past and just won't do it again. Plus I don;t want to mess up the nice paint job pre-maturely.

There's enough room for the newer packs that are 14Ah. When I do a long trip I carry a spare pack. There enough room for a triangle pack, 20-24 Ah.

Why is a rear rack difficult, I'd think the dealer ought to have a solution, I'm not a big fan but have r cently used a rear rack soft pack in a nylon rack pack.

Wow, I see, the review, "
  • No mounting points for fenders or a rear rack if you wanted to use this as a commuter + weekend warrior, drive system does not offer shift sensing and may mash gears, solid two year comprehensive warranty
I found a seat post clamp with threaded hole for mounting a rack. Then I bought longer stainless steel mounting straps. This was on a flat foot frame with the same problem. However if there are no lower mounting spots...it's just a bum design by a really nice company. A shame, it's a nice bike. Triangle pack.

Google,

Seat stay mounted rack
seat stay rack
Seat post clamp with mounts

I considered all those options. Truthfully for the price I purchased the bike I considered this my intro to E-biking. Now that I see it fulfills my expectations of travel. I am looking to upgrade to a good treking bike with more range if possible. I have reviewed some distance studies on various e-bikes and Haibike really peaks my interest. Most of the rails to trails we ride have very little incline.

2.jpg
I had seriously considered buying an extra pack . However I've had a heck of a time trying to get a rack mounted on this bike. I finally gave up and put a triangle , handle bar and saddle bag on it so i could carry my tire change kit, and necessities on longer rides. Yeh, I could have used p clamps but I had them break in the past and just won't do it again. Plus I don;t want to mess up the nice paint job pre-maturely.
You can hang a lot of things on this handle bar, including a battery.

I could figure out a way to add an extra battery to the bike if I wanted. I guess what I am looking for is real world number on the Bosch cx and Yamaha drive systems. I have seen reports of both doing 30 miles in turbo. However from what I have read the bosch is geared more towards people that have a faster cadence. I realize I am not in top shape and need to lose more weight. However I have tweaked the gear ratio on the Tekoa and I am able to match the manufactures specs on performance/distance. I have not a doubt that those ranges can be extended as I progress

I could figure out a way to add an extra battery to the bike if I wanted. I guess what I am looking for is real world number on the Bosch cx and Yamaha drive systems. I have seen reports of both doing 30 miles in turbo. However from what I have read the bosch is geared more towards people that have a faster cadence. I realize I am not in top shape and need to lose more weight. However I have tweaked the gear ratio on the Tekoa and I am able to match the manufactures specs on performance/distance. I have not a doubt that those ranges can be extended as I progress
Fast cadence is actually easier to your body since you produce the same power but at a lower pedal force. And that is also good for your knees. I used an improvised cadence meter with a wired cyclometer (Sigma brand, wireless version don't work due to ebike motor interference) and the magnet attached to the chain ring. 80 is the common ground for both fast and slow cadence. 80 is minimum for many road cyclist but it is the maximum for many low speed joy riders.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cycle-Compu...302339c&pid=100011&rk=3&rkt=5&sd=162243276561

30MPH with the Bosch and Shimano? That's with lots of ambition and pedaling? No sarcasm intended, I'm interested in reading those reviews. I missed something. My BBS02 can't do that with 25A and 750W.

EDIT Never mind, I'm impressed by the reviews here. A doh moment....

" There are several versions of this motor with output ranging from 15.5 mph (25 km/h) common in Europe to 20 mph (32 km/h) being the most common in the US and 28 mph (45 km/h) being a specialty motor available on some US models and requiring licensing in Europe."

Thats 30miles travel distance in turbo mode. I was aware they had the speed pedalic that would hit 28. I can do that with my tekoa. A 18-20 mph top speed and 30-60 mile range would fit my bill. for rails to trails bike

Trek XM 700+ (1 of 1).jpg
I ride a Trek XM 700+ and routinely do 60 miles with 2500 feet of climbing by carrying a second battery in a seat post mounted bag.
I also carry my charger.

Last edited:
I noticed the bottle cage on the bottom of your top-tube. Did it come that way? Were there "bosses" on the top bar?

jeff

Thats 30miles travel distance in turbo mode. I was aware they had the speed pedalic that would hit 28. I can do that with my tekoa. A 18-20 mph top speed and 30-60 mile range would fit my bill. for rails to trails bike

Any of factory middrives (BOSCH, YAMAHA) with 500wHr battery should do 50 miles on mainly flat ground in lower power settings eco - tour if you keep you speed down to 12-15mph. If you are riding for pleasure then lower cruising speeds shouldn't be a problem and allow you to admire countryside. The other way to extend your range is take a break at a cafe and top up your battery.

Back