Looking for a bike, have a few issues

wesmagyar

Region
USA
So, to start. I'm 6'5 400 pounds. And a commercial truck driver. Im looking for an Ebike that i can get at least 5-10 miles of range on that has both pedal assist and throttle. i would prefer a folding one due to space limitations but it seems as if that is a pipe dream at my weight. I am Fairly limited budget wise. i was looking at the Lectric XP but after talking to their sales people they said they don't recommend their bike for me. Does anyone have any suggestions? i don't have alot of room for a bike in the truck and i cant really fit a bike rack or anything on the front as there are laws regarding that.
would there be a way i could reinforce a bike like the lectric XP to help support my weight? like putting Mag Wheels on it or something? My hope is with a bike like this i could get out and be more active and wouldn't have to be reliant on truck stop food, which is part of the reason i have gained so much weight. Any Help or input would be appreciated!
-Wes Magyar-

Mag wheels would be a good plan.

Mag wheels would be a good plan.
It says its rated max capacity is about 335 pounds For the lectric XP so far thats the most I’ve seen for a folding bike. I’m right at about 395 last time i weighed myself. I’m hoping i can drop down pretty quickly once i can get more active and eat better.
what other concerns/precautions can i take to protect the bike.

I'm 6'2" 315, and I just don't see a folder in my future, so no experience I can share at all. Maybe you could find something with 20" tires and knee clearance?

I'm 6'2" 315, and I just don't see a folder in my future, so no experience I can share at all. Maybe you could find something with 20" tires and knee clearance?
Ive been looking around and i haven’t found anything that isnt almost twice the price with that high of a capacity.
i rode the magnum folding bike once for a day. It wasnt the most comfortable ride but it worked.
my big concern is size constraints. I like the idea of a folding bike as i can fold it and put it in front of the passenger seat in my truck or even potentially in one of the side boxes.
a non folding bike could still work but I’d have to strap it down on the back of the truck on the catwalk between the trailer and the truck which is a little more risky, and a lot more of a pita the get it down and up.
my price range is right around 900-1200. Pretty sure most places wont extend me credit as i recently went through a bankruptcy...
this whole COVID thing hosed my finances.

So, to start. I'm 6'5 400 pounds. And a commercial truck driver. Im looking for an Ebike that i can get at least 5-10 miles of range on that has both pedal assist and throttle. i would prefer a folding one due to space limitations but it seems as if that is a pipe dream at my weight.
Don't take this the wrong way, but since you want significant weight capability and small storage footprint and are asking for only 20 miles range roundtrip, have you considered an electric scooter? I've seen some folks riding fat-wheeled electric scooters that are on the heavy end. Some of the scooters even had a seat.

Understand the truck thing: every mile is one off the lease or one against the resale. Going 5 miles out of your way for dinner costs more than the meal.

Don't take this the wrong way, but since you want significant weight capability and small storage footprint and are asking for only 20 miles range roundtrip, have you considered an electric scooter? I've seen some folks riding fat-wheeled electric scooters that are on the heavy end. Some of the scooters even had a seat.

Understand the truck thing: every mile is one off the lease or one against the resale. Going 5 miles out of your way for dinner costs more than the meal.
For just mobility that would be an option but I was also hoping to get some exercise too.

So, to start. I'm 6'5 400 pounds. And a commercial truck driver. Im looking for an Ebike that i can get at least 5-10 miles of range on that has both pedal assist and throttle. i would prefer a folding one due to space limitations but it seems as if that is a pipe dream at my weight. I am Fairly limited budget wise. i was looking at the Lectric XP but after talking to their sales people they said they don't recommend their bike for me. Does anyone have any suggestions? i don't have alot of room for a bike in the truck and i cant really fit a bike rack or anything on the front as there are laws regarding that.
would there be a way i could reinforce a bike like the lectric XP to help support my weight? like putting Mag Wheels on it or something? My hope is with a bike like this i could get out and be more active and wouldn't have to be reliant on truck stop food, which is part of the reason i have gained so much weight. Any Help or input would be appreciated!
-Wes Magyar-

You are going to have to get a cargo bike to handle that heavy weight, most bikes and folders are limited to a weight cap at around 250-300....for a good reason, its not just because of the wheels, it has a lot to do with the bike frame and how it flexes.

Low budget wise, electric-cargo bikes...you arent going to see a lot of.

You are going to have to get a cargo bike to handle that heavy weight, most bikes and folders are limited to a weight cap at around 250-300....for a good reason, its not just because of the wheels, it has a lot to do with the bike frame and how it flexes.

Low budget wise, electric-cargo bikes...you arent going to see a lot of.
Yeah that’s what I was afraid of.

For just mobility that would be an option but I was also hoping to get some exercise too.
Zize Bikes was started by a big woman who enjoyed cycling and couldn't find what she needed. They've been in business for years and build the bikes and ebikes to suit the need. They have ebikes rated for 450 pound riders. None are folding. I think at your height you would feel cramped and silly on any folding bike I've seen. You don't want any bike that would discourage you, and I think a folder would be uncomfortable.

Zize bikes aren't cheap. It might be worth the investment. They offer payment plans.

Best of luck!

I haven't seen any bikes built for heavyweights, but beyond cargo bikes, I believe Pedigo has a few rated for higher loads .Still expensive, but not 7k worth of expensive. Good luck.

-Wes Magyar-
Hello.
I would check into a Rad Rover Electric Three Wheeler or other companies offering three wheeled electric bikes .
Cheers

If a trike interests you, the Liberty is rated for 400lbs and it does breakdown for storage or transportation. $1500, they have refurbished units for $1300. Top speed is 12 mph. Philadelphia company.

This doesn't sound like it is what you are looking for but a Mongoose Dolomite fat tire bike runs ~$400 at Walmart and Amazon. You could consider ordering one to see if it fits and would work for you, read the description and reviews on Amazon - someone stated it is rated to 500lbs. If purchased from Walmart you might be able to return it if you don't like it. If it fits for you maybe ride it for a while without a motor then add a motor kit. I put a Tongsheng mid drive on a bike for my wife, installation was very easy if you know how to remove a bottom bracket crank assembly (easy). The kit I bought for my wife came with a throttle (I didn't install it for her). $425 plus a battery (another $200-$250) so total could be under $1200. The most powerful version is 48v 750w. https://www.eco-ebike.com/collections/tongsheng-tsdz2/products/tsdz2vlcd5
Someone on the DIY section installed a Bafang on one and seems pleased with it.
ecobike also sells a cargo bike that they list has a 400# as total load capacity, but it is $1600 for the least expensive version.
I hope you have success finding something that works for you.

Edit:
The Dolomite is $311 at target so an entire build with a Tongsheng mid drive and battery could be done for under $1000

Last edited:
This doesn't sound like it is what you are looking for but a Mongoose Dolomite fat tire bike runs ~$400 at Walmart and Amazon. You could consider ordering one to see if it fits and would work for you, read the description and reviews on Amazon - someone stated it is rated to 500lbs. If purchased from Walmart you might be able to return it if you don't like it. If it fits for you maybe ride it for a while without a motor then add a motor kit. I put a Tongsheng mid drive on a bike for my wife, installation was very easy if you know how to remove a bottom bracket crank assembly (easy). The kit I bought for my wife came with a throttle (I didn't install it for her). $425 plus a battery (another $200-$250) so total could be under $1200. The most powerful version is 48v 750w. https://www.eco-ebike.com/collections/tongsheng-tsdz2/products/tsdz2vlcd5
Someone on the DIY section installed a Bafang on one and seems pleased with it.
ecobike also sells a cargo bike that they list has a 400# as total load capacity, but it is $1600 for the least expensive version.
I hope you have success finding something that works for you.
I’ll look into that. Seems like a decent option

Yep I was right, although this one is their mid drive model....which is a bit more pricey.
2021-02-06 15.56.16 www.eco-ebike.com 8f2f4d757db8.png

Back