Looking for a bike, have a few issues

So, to start. I'm 6'5 400 pounds. And a commercial truck driver. Im looking for an Ebike that i can get at least 5-10 miles of range on that has both pedal assist and throttle. i would prefer a folding one due to space limitations but it seems as if that is a pipe dream at my weight. I am Fairly limited budget wise. i was looking at the Lectric XP but after talking to their sales people they said they don't recommend their bike for me. Does anyone have any suggestions? i don't have alot of room for a bike in the truck and i cant really fit a bike rack or anything on the front as there are laws regarding that.
would there be a way i could reinforce a bike like the lectric XP to help support my weight? like putting Mag Wheels on it or something? My hope is with a bike like this i could get out and be more active and wouldn't have to be reliant on truck stop food, which is part of the reason i have gained so much weight. Any Help or input would be appreciated!
-Wes Magyar-
Your best bet might be to find a large decently made steel frame and put a Bafang mid-drive kit in it. Or have it done. There's guys around who do it. Might have to invest in some expensive hubs and have extra strong wheels made up.

It wouldnt be that much...maybe a grand.
Um, sorry but when you look beyond the first listed price and put a kit in the cart... OVER $1100 with shipping cost added. A BBS02B would not be a good choice for a heavyweight rider.

BBS02B
Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 3.19.00 PM.png

You added a 52v Luna Wolf battery....well known that Luna sells overpriced batteries. But sure, keep on your weird power trip.

Dolomite has a steel frame and excellent reviews from heavy riders on Amazon. Seriously, for anyone who has worked on regular bikes at all such as greasing crank bearings or replacing a cartridge there is absolutely no reason to pay someone to do this. Remove old crank, replace with Tongsheng (probably same with Bafang but those seem more expensive). Hook up rear wheel speed sensor, monitor and button control, put a battery and hook it up, might need to add links to chain depending. It couldn't be easier. I put a geared rear hub motor on an old mountain bike last week, the Tongsheng was easier. Ignore the curmudgeon on another thread who advised against a mid drive because he watched some Youtube videos and thought it was too hard.
I deal with scores of BBSxx series kit builders on a regular basis. Some fellas should run, not walk away, from the kit building market.

Bike Friday folding cargo bike. 385lb capacity, folds up into a suitcase. $2500, yeah, but less price unrealistic than some of the suggestions above. Also, they build to order and offer strength upgrades on other models, up to 550lb, so if you're interested it's worth asking. A buddy has their cargo bike, lives at elevation and uses it to schlep his gear to and from beach. https://www.bikefriday.com/folding-bikes/ever-e-day-electric-cargo-bike

Otherwise, to hit your price point you're likely best off finding a weight capable unpowered folding bike, buying one used, then doing an aftermarket power conversion. I know a couple people who've done this successfully with hard tail mountain bikes.

Yep I was right, although this one is their mid drive model....which is a bit more pricey.
View attachment 78444
the bike looks awesome but I doubt such tubing is strong enough for 400 lbs. Cargo part looks solid enough but for his case we need to worry about seat tube carry the weight and bottom bracket (in this case motor bracket) and seat tube is the place which got most of the stress. The seat tube doesn't look designed for riders on heavier side. I think he better talk with the company and ask if they did such test. Because uniformly distributed 400 lbs isn't same as 400 lbs on one specific spot. Each time he jump over a pot hole the force he applied will be 2x...
For Dapu also I will try to stay away from their mid-drive motors. Their hub motors are very high quality but can't say the same for their mid-drive motors.

400 lbs?

Well get the Bolton Hercules instead, 440lbs!

or Eunorau G20

Is it me or is the “Hercules” and “G20” the same as the other cargo bike I posted, same generic frame at least

the bike looks awesome but I doubt such tubing is strong enough for 400 lbs. Cargo part looks solid enough but for his case we need to worry about seat tube carry the weight and bottom bracket (in this case motor bracket) and seat tube is the place which got most of the stress. The seat tube doesn't look designed for riders on heavier side. I think he better talk with the company and ask if they did such test. Because uniformly distributed 400 lbs isn't same as 400 lbs on one specific spot. Each time he jump over a pot hole the force he applied will be 2x...
For Dapu also I will try to stay away from their mid-drive motors. Their hub motors are very high quality but can't say the same for their mid-drive motors.

Definitely, I had the same thoughts but for the budget given I think it’s a good match.

Biktrix has a few ebikes that can hold up to 400lbs:

So, to start. I'm 6'5 400 pounds. And a commercial truck driver. Im looking for an Ebike that i can get at least 5-10 miles of range on that has both pedal assist and throttle. i would prefer a folding one due to space limitations but it seems as if that is a pipe dream at my weight. I am Fairly limited budget wise. i was looking at the Lectric XP but after talking to their sales people they said they don't recommend their bike for me. Does anyone have any suggestions? i don't have alot of room for a bike in the truck and i cant really fit a bike rack or anything on the front as there are laws regarding that.
would there be a way i could reinforce a bike like the lectric XP to help support my weight? like putting Mag Wheels on it or something? My hope is with a bike like this i could get out and be more active and wouldn't have to be reliant on truck stop food, which is part of the reason i have gained so much weight. Any Help or input would be appreciated!
-Wes Magyar-
Wes I´ ll level with ya; 400 is too heavy for all ebikes except cargo bikes & trikes, By all means, find something & pedal it. I´ve been there, 6´2¨ 350, but 100 lighter now. Just don´t overdo it. Exercise alone won´t do it.
Good nutrition & self discipline are required. Ya needn´t torture yourself, but get a routine & stick with it. I
don´t know about a midrive, I usta snap chains on a regular basis, but with a midrive that could get
expensive. I´d have to treat it as if it were glass. Front whl motors can have handling issues.

Last edited:
This may be a good solution... 😉

Yuba’s electric cargo bikes are known for landing fairly high on the quality ladder. That premium build has also kept them perched quite high on the price ladder as well… until now. The company’s newest electric cargo bike, the Yuba Kombi E5, is shaking things up as Yuba’s new entry-level e-cargo bike model. The original non-electric Kombi seems to have lent its frame and much of its component selection to the Kombi E5.

Priced at $3,200, the Yuba Kombi E5 is the company’s attempt to target more price-sensitive riders. The electric cargo bike is powered by a Shimano E5000 mid-drive motor system – the same drive we’ve seen on a few other reasonably priced e-bikes lately. No one will accuse the 418 Wh battery pack of being too large, but the pedal assist nature of the bike should help keep the range reasonable. Yuba hasn’t offered a range claim yet, but I’d wager somewhere between 40-65 km (25-40 miles) would be a reasonable unloaded range window.

With a weight rating of 200 kg (440 lb), though, you’ll be free to load it up quite heavily. The bike rides on 24″ wheels, helping drop the ride height slightly compared to larger 26″ wheels. A suite of mid-level e-bike components such as Shimano hydraulic disc brakes, a Shimano Altus derailleur, and a set of Maxxis Hookworm tires round out the important component sets. Riders will also be treated with a set of fenders, bell, front and rear LED lights, and a double kickstand. Plus, there’s Yuba’s entire line of cargo-related accessories that can be added to the e-bike. The Yuba Kombi E5 isn’t available quite yet, but
should be here by March.

The trend I'm noticing is most of the bikes being recommended are at least 2X my budget sadly.
I hear that. Cheaper options need some compromise. One of which might be buying
a sturdy 6/7 speed trike & adding an ekit later on. There are cheap electric trikes out there,
but ones I have looked at are of pretty dubious quality. I´d be certain that any purchase was
rated for 400#. As tall as your are you may need a longer seat post, (at least 27.2mm diameter).
You can get a decent front whl kit under $300, but batteries ain´t cheap. You should be able to
ride a 6/7 speed in lower gears though hills & range may be exasperating at 1st. Don´t get
discouraged. When I first started riding again I bought a $15 mongoose mtn. POS & I couldn´t
pedal up a gentle 30 ft. rise in low gear. I couldn´t climb a 10 ft. staircase without gasping for breath.
eventually through a series of cheap bikes I quit drinking & smoking & got down to 350 from 409.
A borderline diabetic, I really had to reduce my blood sugar. At 350 I ordered my first ebike*. It gave
me more incentive by being more fun & extending my range, but I was too heavy for it & rode it
into the ground, (parts bike now). Today at age 72 I am a very solid 250 back up from 225. I ride
on average 70 mi. a week not counting what i get on a stationary bike in bad weather & at night.
*i don´t know why my pc is prone to jumping fonts.

Back