Looking For A 2 Bike Carrier

MarkB

I want one that fits a 2" receiver hitch, so I can move the carrier from my truck to my trailer, or car. It needs to support around 100 pounds. 60 pounds for the RR and another 25 or 30 for my wife's Trek mountain bike. Right now I'm laying them on their side in the back of my pickup with a canopy, which is quite a hassle. So I was wondering what you guys/gals are using. Tks...

Mark -

Thule has come out with a 2 bike foldable carrier that works on 1 1/4" or 2" receivers. It is designed for ebikes and comes with a ramp so you can roll your 50 lb+ ebike up on to the rack. This the model 9032 and is rated for 2 x 66 lb. Lists at arount $560 at EMS though.

I have the Yakima Hold Up 2 similar to the Kuat above but all black and it is only around $400. I think it is rated at 60lbs. per bike.

Thanks for the replies. So, it looks like I'm going to have to spend at least 400 bucks to get one that will hold the weight. It also looks like I may have a hard time finding a carrier that will work with 4" wide tires, and fenders...

Last edited:
+1 1upusa.com I transported two 60lb bikes the other day on a 160 mile round trip. No movement, no squeaks, do damage........................ And I like the fact that I can, in 5 minutes go from a 2-bike rack to a 1-bike rack. Comes with 2" adaptor.

+1 1upusa.com I transported two 60lb bikes the other day on a 160 mile round trip. No movement, no squeaks, do damage........................ And I like the fact that I can, in 5 minutes go from a 2-bike rack to a 1-bike rack. Comes with 2" adaptor.
Hi 86, do you have Rad Rovers with 4" tires and fenders? Which model of 1up hitch do you have?

Mark -

Hi 86, do you have Rad Rovers with 4" tires and fenders? Which model of 1up hitch do you have?

Mark -
Do not have 4" tires but I do transport bikes with fenders. Not sure the 1Up rack will accommodate 4" tires. give them a call to verify

I heard back from Katie M. at etrailer.com recently. She included this link:

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

It will meet my requirements of a 2" receiver hitch mount, will mount 2 bikes with fenders, will carry the weight, and the accessory fat tire kit will accept up to 5" wide tires. They also sell a variety of 2" receiver hitch kits for a standard travel trailer 4" square bumper. It specifies that this bike carrier is not designed to be used on a towed vehicle, however she clarified that with two bikes on the carrier it would bounce too much. She said it would work fine on the bumper of my trailer with only the RR on the carrier. So I may go for this combination...

Mark -

i wouldn't go for the Thule rack. had my Radrover on the 9032 and it has fallen off multiple times, even after replacement from Thule.
the clamps just don't hold onto the bike as they should. worked for a little while then they started slipping off to the point where i could not trust
the rack to hold the bike anymore. would only use it with a heavy duty chain wrapped around the bike and rack for insurance.

i wouldn't go for the Thule rack. had my Radrover on the 9032 and it has fallen off multiple times, even after replacement from Thule.
the clamps just don't hold onto the bike as they should. worked for a little while then they started slipping off to the point where i could not trust
the rack to hold the bike anymore. would only use it with a heavy duty chain wrapped around the bike and rack for insurance.

Good feedack, thanks. I've sent an E to Northwood Mfg. and asked how much weight my Arctic Fox 22GQ can support on it's bumper. I haven't heard back from them yet, but the concensus of opinion (locally) is that it will only support 50 or 60 pounds. So I'm now looking into trailer frame mounted receiver hitches...

Back