Which E Bike Carrier Should I Consider?

One reason I have not bought the easy ramp is my bike has fenders. I have a Gazelle T10+. Many of the good racks fix to the tires and low fenders get on the way. They sell a sort of cushion for the fender but I am not convinced is safe.

I have the Hollywood Racks Sport Rider for ebikes. It's very sturdy and doesn't rattle in the hitch. I believe it has the highest weight rating. Going 70 mph on the highway (posted limit) is no problem. Even though the rack is strong, I still go slowly over bumps and rough road when the rack is loaded.

As others have mentioned, the easiest way to load a bike in this type of rack is to hold the front brake lever while lifting the front wheel into the rack. Then it is easier to pick up the rear of the bike to load the rear wheel.

The only thing I didn’t like about the Easy Fold is that you can’t drive with an entirely empty rack
??? Uh, why not? Thule does have this general warning on all their racks and probably their roof carriers as well, but you could say the same of driving around with your window down.
'For reasons of fuel economy and environmental impact as well as the safety of other road users, the carrier must be removed from the vehicle when not in use'

The nice feature with 1Up is the weight of the base rack which is 28lbs for the Superduty 2” single. It works great for transporting a single bike and is easier on the back when attaching it to the hitch receiver. The add on is 18lbs but unlike most racks you’re not forced to lift an entire rack assembly where dual trays are permanently attached together.

The ramp is easily stored on the back of the rack by aligning keyhole slots with security bolts. I admit that I haven’t used it much and still find that I’m able to load ebikes onto the trays in the conventional manner.

View attachment 125315View attachment 125316
Hi PD! I have this same setup. I cannot easily pull the black release bar to tilt the rack. I do make sure the gold knob is loosened. Do you have difficulties with it! I’m wondering if it’s just me because the video shows a guy releasing it with one hand. I have to use both hands and it’s really hard to do! Any help is appreciated.

Hi PD! I have this same setup. I cannot easily pull the black release bar to tilt the rack. I do make sure the gold knob is loosened. Do you have difficulties with it! I’m wondering if it’s just me because the video shows a guy releasing it with one hand. I have to use both hands and it’s really hard to do! Any help is appreciated.
Yes, make sure that the gold bar knob is thoroughly loosened. One needs to apply equal pressure on the spring-loaded bar to get it to release easier. I find that spritzing a bit of silicone spray into the spring assembly helps to loosen the handle and provides better/smoother action when pulling on it.

I made a "rack". Found the plans on The Internet. I bought an aluminium motorcycle ramp to roll my bike up into the pickup bed. Roll wheel into slot, use tiedowns to secure, close tailgate. And being short and oldish, I carry a folding step to make climbing up into the pickup bed easier.
DSC00973.JPG

this is early spring and I still had my winter sandbags in the back. Ignore them.
DSC00859.JPG

Yes, make sure that the gold bar knob is thoroughly loosened. One needs to apply equal pressure on the spring-loaded bar to get it to release easier. I find that spritzing a bit of silicone spray into the spring assembly helps to loosen the handle and provides better/smoother action when pulling on it.
Thank you prairie dog! I emailed 1UpUSA and they did not give me any help at all. You are more helpful than they were and I appreciate it.

The QuickrRack is the second generation of the 1Up rack from the original creator (he is no longer with the 1Up company).

Supposedly better in every way to the original. It's the rack I would get, if I wanted to pay up for a rack.

The QuickrRack is the second generation of the 1Up rack from the original creator (he is no longer with the 1Up company).

Supposedly better in every way to the original. It's the rack I would get, if I wanted to pay up for a rack.

There's no doubt the Mach 2 has some improved features and it's obviously reflected in its higher price point. However, I also needed a rack in a pinch and simply couldn’t wait the 3-6 months before it was delivered. Pretty happy with my 1Up and have already used it extensively since taking delivery of it 5 months ago.

??? Uh, why not? Thule does have this general warning on all their racks and probably their roof carriers as well, but you could say the same of driving around with your window down.
'For reasons of fuel economy and environmental impact as well as the safety of other road users, the carrier must be removed from the vehicle when not in use'
Maybe I’m overly cautious, but I figure that because of the printed warning about “the safety of other road users”, if something went wrong the liability would be a nightmare. That’s the opposite of the situation with the Kuat Piston Pro, the 1Up or the QuickrRack. In fact, the Piston Pro has taillights designed to be visible with the empty rack in the folded up position.

I've had the Thule easyfold for a number of years now with no problems. The rack sits on a bracket right next to the rear of the car and at the same height. Slide it off the bracket, turn around, and put it on the towball. no lifting. I have traveled miles with just the rack (no bikes) no problems. It's there the same as if it had bikes on it. The easiest way to load the bike is to grab the rear brake locking the rear wheel, pull back on the bike so it rears up. Swing the front wheel over to rest in the grove. Lock the front wheel with the front brake and lift the rear wheel straight up and over into the rear grove.

I bought a pair of Gazelle Ultimate C380+ e bikes. My wife would like us to be able to transport them to ride other places.

I have a Ram 1500 pickup with a 2 inch receiver hitch.

Should I look at a truck bed bike rack or a hitch mounted bike rack carrier?
Welcome aboard Jim!
I see you took the advice of Alan and I over on the POI Factory forum. Over there, I'm known as bdhsfz6.

Without doubt, the safest place to carry a bike is in the bed of a pickup. This can be problematic for those who aren't up to loading heavy ebikes in a truck bed though. I've been carrying my bikes this way for many years but I'm now at the age where it's become difficult to lift and climb into the bed to secure the bikes.

As a result, I built this platform out of PVC pipe that slides out making it easier to load. I use Thule roof racks to secure the bikes. The platform fits snugly into the pickup bed and requires no tie down at all. Due to it's nature, the PVC slides easily in and out of the bed with minimal effort.

Pic 2.jpg Pic 4.jpg Pic 5.jpg Pic 6.jpg Pic 1.JPG

A couple of years ago, I added a ramp to avoid having to lift the bikes onto the platform.

Pic 7.jpg Pic 7a.jpg

I believe Alan made something similar using 2X4's. Perhaps he could post a few pics.

Some DIY skills are required but it's not a difficult build.

On occasion, I do use a Thule platform style receiver hitch rack when I need to carry 3 or 4 bikes. I use the "one end at a time" method of loading which was mentioned by @Kayakguy above.

Again, welcome to the forum and keep us posted with your ideas!

Darn! Wish I’d known about QuickrRack before I bought mine. looks much easier to load by myself! Now I’m thinking of selling my 1Up and getting a Mach2. 😵‍💫

Back