Looking for 13G-244mm black spokes.

Euclid's Brother

Where the best place to buy spokes? We bought 2 ebikes from Walmart (Hyper E-Ride 700c. Very entry level). My wife's bike already has 3 broken spokes on rear wheel. None broken on mine YET, though I weigh 100 lbs more, so I'm sure it's bound to happen.

I found this site (https://em3ev.com/cart/) 75¢/each + shipping. Shipping is minimum $15.37 for up to qty 50. . Or $19.19 for up to qty 100.

Is that a good deal?

I'm in Dallas area if anyone knows where i can get them local.

Thanks,
James

Contact ebay seller childhood_dreams for black 13G spokes. He's in Olney Il, home of the rare black squirrels. I've bought several sets of silver spokes from him.

Another seller, based in Chicago, is Yojimbo's Garage. He should have black spokes.

Reactions: JRA
I bought my spokes from https://www.chainreactioncycles.com

Do you know the length of your spokes though?

Also, I used to think thicker spokes = better, but that doesn't always seem to be the case.
I had thick 13 gauge spokes (Sapim), I kept breaking them, so I re-laced the whole 36 spokes to 14 gauge (DT Swiss), and no broken spokes ever since.

Apparently it has something to do with "flex", the 14 gauge spokes can flex more and harder to break in some circumstances.
Yes, the lengths on the back wheel are 244mm and the front wheel is 290mm. I did not see any 13g spokes on that size, nor 244mm lengths. I'm assuming the 13g spokes are due to the extra heaviness of the ebike. Add my 250lbs to that, i'm not sure dropping down to 14g would be a good idea. Maybe I could on my wife's, which is where the broken spokes are. Haven't had any broken on mine. She's up to 4 broken now, so told her to use mine until I get the spokes replaced on hers.

Also, I don't want to go to the expense of replacing all the spokes right away. If it continues to be a problem, then may go that route. It may be that these are just cheap spokes.

A friend of mine said the broken spokes may be due to the wheel not being round. So might have to take it somewhere to have it adjusted.

Also how's your Hyper ebikes holding up?

A lot of my friends are interested in Hyper bikes, but I have no reference.

As you know, those expensive $5000+ ebikes are doing nothing to contribute to spread the ebikes to general public.
We need more affordable and reliable bikes, and because Hyper is sold at Walmart, people immediately assume that it's not good, but when I watch YouTube reviews on Hyper ebikes, their response are generally good.

For $650 delivered, I don't think you can beat it. At least for someone like us. We're not avid bikers. We try to ride 30 to 40 minutes early morning before work and again after dinner. I like it much more than the mongoose bike I had before. For sure, these are very entry level bikes. Low-end components. But man, we love them!

The only problems we've had so far:
* on mine, the front fender was loose where the fender attaches to the thin bars that go down to the frame. Could not tighten it enough to keep it from rattling, so I just took the fender off.
* also on mine, the gear shift is slightly out of alignment. I often her the chain clacking until i turn the gear about a 1/4 down. Just need to take a look at how to adjust it.
* also on mine, had to replace the rear tube. Got a tiny tiny wire stuck in the tire. Of course that's just a road hazard. Nothing to do with the bike itself.
* also on mine, during shipping, the magnetic disk had gotten pushed away from the pedal sensor, so the motor would not activate. Once I found the problem, i was able to just push it closer and haven't had any trouble from it since.
* on my wife's, the battery rattles a little bit in the frame. Probably just need to put a little felt pad under it stop it from rattling.
* wife's broken rear spokes. Maybe cheap spokes?

We had test road a couple of $3000 ebikes before we bought these. yes, they were very nice and had some cool features, but we just couldn't see the value there.

These are the bikes we got. One of each color.

Edit: I ordered spokes from the ebay link above. Pack of 72. Got 50 for the back wheel and 22 for the front wheel, just in case.

I am glad to see these lower cost ebikes working well for many owners. After one has converted one or two bikes to electric, one realizes that a basic bike should be fairly reliable. I've never had a motor or display failure yet with my DIY conversions. I had one controller that took about 20 seconds to respond to pedal input below freezing. Not I routinely ride in the cold. I don't.

Does anyone know of another supplier for the Hyper E-Ride City rear wheel spokes (244mm x 13g)? The links listed in the thread are dead and the spokes in the proper size are incredibly difficult to find (only need two).

Does anyone know of another supplier for the Hyper E-Ride City rear wheel spokes (244mm x 13g)? The links listed in the thread are dead and the spokes in the proper size are incredibly difficult to find (only need two).
you will just keep having problems till the wheel has been rebuilt by a professional. replacing spokes is like fixing a severed arm with a bandaid.

you will just keep having problems till the wheel has been rebuilt by a professional. replacing spokes is like fixing a severed arm with a bandaid.
Could you be more specific as to what is causing the broken spokes? A bent rim? Are the spokes themselves the issue and relacing the wheel with an entire new set of spokes solve the problem?

I just bought spokes from Lee @childhood_dreams on ebay. Hope they arrive tomorrow, You can use this link for 13G spokes, It says he will sell smaller quantities if you contact the seller. Ask for a quote. Suggest you buy at least six.

I really don't know why spokes break. I read it's because they're too loose. I only have a couple of motor/wheels that were made in CHina, and they're OK. I've built about ten, maybe a dozen wheels with motors. I tend to use 14G spokes with 13G elbows, which cost a lot. When I'm feeling frugal, I will use 13G spokes, and when I do, I get them from Lee. They have not broken on me.

Could you be more specific as to what is causing the broken spokes? A bent rim? Are the spokes themselves the issue and relacing the wheel with an entire new set of spokes solve the problem?
either cheap materials and or a very poor build. who knows if the rim is worth keeping. a good shop can tell you.

I ran into quite an issue with breaking spokes that turned out to be a combination of my weight (315) and loose spokes that allow too much flexing. I learned a TON, including how to lace up my own wheels as a result of that experience.

My favorite spoke supplier. They have very fair prices, awesome support, a wide selection in stock, shipping generally within a day or 2, good people I have no trouble endorsing.... -Al

I ran into quite an issue with breaking spokes that turned out to be a combination of my weight (315) and loose spokes that allow too much flexing. I learned a TON, including how to lace up my own wheels as a result of that experience.

My favorite spoke supplier. They have very fair prices, awesome support, a wide selection in stock, shipping generally within a day or 2, good people I have no trouble endorsing.... -Al

Thanks for the reply. I may be in exactly the same boat with the learning curve on spoke maintenance, particularly regarding loose spokes causing problems.

Wheelbuilder looks like a fine source, but I think I'm going to go with Marcus at Mojimbo in Chicago.

Thanks for the reply. I may be in exactly the same boat with the learning curve on spoke maintenance, particularly regarding loose spokes causing problems.

Wheelbuilder looks like a fine source, but I think I'm going to go with Marcus at Mojimbo in Chicago.
Here are some notes I wrote leading up to, while in the thick of it, and finally the successful installation of a new set of spokes that are still good to go today. I've since done 3 more builds. They're still a pain as they demand so much patience. I found it easier to work at a pace that will just let me leave the project set for a day or 2. Look toward the end of the thread for the better notes. Earlier stuff just illustrates some of the frustration leading up to the point it was necessary to get serious....

https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/broken-spoke.43904/

Back