Longest rides

rexel1

Just wondering what everyone’s longest rides have been using their electric bikes. Mine was last weekend where I took out my CCS and a spare battery with it.
52v battery was fully charged and I got 66 miles out of it before swapping over to the 48v one (48v one was tucked up on the top of the rear rack) and I did a further 14 miles, totalling just under 80 miles.

Was a great ride, weather over here in the UK is getting a lot better now that spring is/has arrived.

I have done 60 miles on both my CCX and my Bulls Evo 3 27.5+ (MUCH slower than CCX) with just the stock battery.

Not sure I want to do much more (in a single ride), thats alot of saddle time.

Im pretty much done after about 2 hours, dont plan on much more than 40 miles these days.

Last edited:
For a single day journey, I have only hit 51 miles. I’m planning on an 85-100 mile single day, this spring.
But for a single battery charge, I managed 88 miles over a weekend before having to recharge for the Monday commute—although the battery gauge still showed 2 of 5 bars remaining after those 88 miles.

My longest single day ride was 52 miles on a single charge. I now have the ability to carry one or two spare batteries so I hope to do better this season.

I'd like to go for a long ride, but my bum gets painful around 8 miles. I've gone 17 once with this bike, and it was painful. I've tried a Cloud 9, bike pants, my old bike seat, a gel cover, all without success.

I'd like to go for a long ride, but my bum gets painful around 8 miles. I've gone 17 once with this bike, and it was painful. I've tried a Cloud 9, bike pants, my old bike seat, a gel cover, all without success.

You may have already tried this but I found the right suspension seatpost made a big improvement in what my brother calls "buttitis".
I tried a dozen or so suspension posts over the years and the best I've found so far are the Bodyfloat and Thudbuster LT. Everyone's butt is different though so what works for some may not for all.

I also found minor adjustments with the seat angle and handlebar height made a noticeable difference as well.

One advantage we have with class 2 ebikes is the ability to stand on the pedals while using the throttle thus giving the butt a rest.

You may have already tried this but I found the right suspension seatpost made a big improvement in what my brother calls "buttitis".
I tried a dozen or so suspension posts over the years and the best I've found so far are the Bodyfloat and Thudbuster LT. Everyone's butt is different though so what works for some may not for all.

I also found minor adjustments with the seat angle and handlebar height made a noticeable difference as well.

One advantage we have with class 2 ebikes is the ability to stand on the pedals while using the throttle thus giving the butt a rest.

I just ordered a saddle to try out. REI is having a sale, and I can return it if it doesn't work. In younger days, I rode a few 40 mile days on a road bike and bum was ok, it was my wrists that were not. Fingers crossed on new seat. I have a spare battery because I want to do long rides.

I've been 32 miles but the controller wore out at 12 and I did the rest pedaling by myself. Poured rain the whole time.
If I ever get a motor/controller that works the battery should be good for 50 and I can do 30 pedaling. Only $189 motor/controller. I'll try Luna next time, they have MACs now. Ordered the MAC 12T from ebikes.com but he cancelled the order, he said I was too heavy at 170 lb.

Hello I rode 81.26 miles yesterday from the mountains in sunny California to the ocean and back while in eco mode the whole time and 48% battery life left. 250 watt mid drive with. 36v 13.8 Ah battery. 2018 giant Toughroad e+ gx

Attachments

• 9F17DA35-8F02-43EC-BE9A-1933DC781DCA.jpeg
    9F17DA35-8F02-43EC-BE9A-1933DC781DCA.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 493
  • 6123F3A9-76C3-4E2E-AF2E-B11F2EBF3E89.jpeg
    6123F3A9-76C3-4E2E-AF2E-B11F2EBF3E89.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 490
I just ordered a saddle to try out. REI is having a sale, and I can return it if it doesn't work. In younger days, I rode a few 40 mile days on a road bike and bum was ok, it was my wrists that were not. Fingers crossed on new seat. I have a spare battery because I want to do long rides.
Some of the worst soreness I’ve ever gotten has been from so called “comfort” saddles. I never had a problem until I got a bike with one of those giant seats. I’ve found personally what works best for me are the ones that provide a platform for your seatbones and not much else.
Of course I still get sore. Just not the chafing/rash kind.

@Timan did you take the San Gabriel River Bike Trail from Azusa to Seal Beach, or the Rio Hondo from El Monte to Long Beach?

Hello I rode 81.26 miles yesterday from the mountains in sunny California to the ocean and back while in eco mode the whole time and 48% battery life left. 250 watt mid drive with. 36v 13.8 Ah battery. 2018 giant Toughroad e+ gx
Looks like you went to Long Beach?

95 miles on my Haibike Full FatSix, Yamaha 400wh battery. Used a combination of High, Standard, Eco and Eco+ in the ride. At the 47 mile turnaround point, I rode exclusively in Eco+, even shutting off power assist in order to make the steep climbs in the various creek sheds and valleys that rise from river level on the canal towpaths. Quite a few miles on asphalt as well, in order to reach the New Jersey based Delaware and Raritan Canal towpath and the Pennsylvania based Delaware Canal. This was in effect, a ride on the canal towpaths. I'm convinced the Yamaha drive and a 1000wh battery capability can deliver higher assist levels while banging out a 100 mile run. In an effort to safe battery power as much as possible, I was basically pedaling a 60 pound fatbike. My economizing efforts resulted in 18% battery power remaining when I pulled up in the drive. Some pics....

Attachments

• 100_3284.JPG
    100_3284.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 449
  • 100_3290.JPG
    100_3290.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 441
  • 100_3285.JPG
    100_3285.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 439
  • 100_3317.JPG
    100_3317.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 464
  • 100_3337.JPG
    100_3337.JPG
    867.1 KB · Views: 432
  • 100_3338.JPG
    100_3338.JPG
    725.5 KB · Views: 403
  • 100_3300.JPG
    100_3300.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 424
95 miles on my Haibike Full FatSix, Yamaha 400wh battery. Used a combination of High, Standard, Eco and Eco+ in the ride. At the 47 mile turnaround point, I rode exclusively in Eco+, even shutting off power assist in order to make the steep climbs in the various creek sheds and valleys that rise from river level on the canal towpaths. Quite a few miles on asphalt as well, in order to reach the New Jersey based Delaware and Raritan Canal towpath and the Pennsylvania based Delaware Canal. This was in effect, a ride on the canal towpaths. I'm convinced the Yamaha drive and a 1000wh battery capability can deliver higher assist levels while banging out a 100 mile run. In an effort to safe battery power as much as possible, I was basically pedaling a 60 pound fatbike. My economizing efforts resulted in 18% battery power remaining when I pulled up in the drive. Some pics....
I am amazed that you can get 95 miles on a 400 watt battery with those tires on a fairly heavy bike.... You must really be doing alot of the work yourself!

Out of several 200+ milers I have done, I remember this one the most. The ride happened in Northern Montana and the last 100 miles were extremely beautiful. As I got closer to Glacier National park, I realized how magnificently beautiful this country is. It was a surreal feeling. Exploring national parks on an eBike is a spiritual feeling.
I started the day at 11.30am and ended the day around midnight. consumed four 983whr batteries on the Stromer and covered 238.8 miles at an average speed of 23.4mph. Roughly 60 miles/1000whr at high speeds.
I don't think any other eBike can handle that kind of speed for a long time without severely stressing the drivetrain. When you have long stretches of road with less traffic, the DD hub becomes tremendously efficient and can churn out miles like crazy.

1554866478238.png

I just got a Hobson easy seat. It's one of the ones that is made in two pieces. I don't think it works for everyone, but it is certainly better for me. The main problem with bike seats is that I can't tell right away if something will work for me. It can take some time to adjust to something new and figure out what works better.

UPDATE: I tried it first without any sort of cover (it's a bit hard) and it was okay, but then I put my standard "gel" seatcover over it. It isn't made for the Hobson, but it really works great, and it makes the seat look like an ordinary bike seat. I've been using the seat now for a couple of weeks, and have had several commutes (25 miles round-trip). Feels great! Here's the photo of my seat with the gel seatcover:
Screen Shot 2019-04-20 at 10.33.08 AM.png

I am amazed that you can get 95 miles on a 400 watt battery with those tires on a fairly heavy bike.... You must really be doing alot of the work yourself!

Hi Steve! That run was to see for myself what I could get out of this bike in one charge. Conditions were ideal: warm weather and no breeze. Getting to and from the water level towpaths include climbing up and down some fairly short but steep creek watersheds and I did them using the lower power levels.

I recently picked up a new Yamaha 500wh battery and now it's time to revisit this run, this time, with 900wh of power. First I have to figure how to bring along the second battery. With the increased power, I figure I can use the upper 2 power settings, cruising mainly in Standard with a few periods spent in High power. We'll see!

Back