Loading 60+lbs ebike onto Hitch Mast Style rack arms using climbing rope and top tube adapter

nishanthps

Region
USA
We preordered the new specialized turbo como 5.0 2022 ebike which has a step through frame and weighs 60+lbs. We recently bought a pricey Hitch Rack from Yakima (https://tinyurl.com/uzaxbvju) which has a mast style rack with two arms. I realized mounting the como with step through frame on this rack is not ideal but I am exploring options to make it safe to use my current rack with some hacks before investing in another expensive heavy duty rack just for the new ebike.

I found it difficult to find a top tube adapter that supports 60+lbs (or 56+lbs without the battery) weight. The best I was able to find is from Yakima that has 45 lbs capacity. I would love to get some suggestions here.

To reduce my worry about top tube adapter failing on bumpy roads, I am exploring options to hang my ebike onto the rack arms using climbing rope and some carabiners to transfer the bike's weight on to the rack and use a toptube adapter just for holding the bike vertical and to ensure the bike does not swing.

Does the above setup look like it might work? Has anyone explored similar options to make mounting a heavy step through ebike onto a mast style bike rack's arms ?

I don't have the new bike yet, the estimated delivery is early next year :( but I will post some pics once I have the setup.

I use a top tube adapter all the time (when using my Hollywood hitch rack) but certainly NOT to hang them from. My suggestion would be a different style rack that pulled down on the tube adapter. Honestly, ropes and carabiners sounds like a real PITA every time you load up and, generally, top tube adapters aren’t meant to hang a bike from. I’d trade that rack in/return it. Best of luck!
BBC8EF9D-91DA-4B96-AB88-86A2F46776F1.jpeg
F68B402F-26B9-4B61-843E-422257DC73C9.jpeg

Last edited:
That's a lot of weight for a top tube adapter. More than failure of the adapter is the chance the seat pops off the seat post.
That's always been my fear since I had the problem of loading step thru bikes on hanger carriers, even the 30-35 pound bikes the gals had in the 1990's. I could barely keep the seats tight with the quick release clamps when riding. I used to tie the adapter to the bike frame by the seat. Today, with 60 pound bikes, I don't see how a seat clamp using a hex nut could hold up on a longer trip. And then you have fat tire folders with a QR clamp on a light aluminum steerer. Now you got to worry about the hinge on the steerer failing too.

I used to have an inverted "L" type rack, 2" mount, that held four bikes. The bike would hang off the 2' bar, only one support sp it had to be balanced. There was a clamping plate on top, with one knob. I threw its 75 pound mass on the curb when I got ebikes. Some metal scrapper had a good day.

Last edited:
I had a similar rack from Thule and returned it within a week. Just wouldn’t work for my ebikes and was a PITA to load. Went with a Hollywood Racks Sport Rider SE for two ebikes. Works great!

Back