Lights Save Lives

That situation is one scenario where I turn the rear light on in daytime.
I find lights have about a 90% failure rate in a year. Rain has killed 3, even inside the bag not in use. If not rain, battery leakage. If not that, battery contact corrosion. $60 for a piece of inert plastic offends my sensibilities. As most riders here don't ride in the rain, recommendations on the site don't sell me. I have a 18 months old $60 catseye light that rides in a peanut butter jar in the bag 99% of the time. The one time this summer I tried to use it, after dark, the battery went dead after 70 minutes. Rode to summer camp by starlight. I'm sorry, it takes me 255 minutes to finish my commute sometimes. What did work after dark, my ANSI class 2 construction vest, which is highly reflective in headlights of cars.
Buying a $2500 ebike with integrated lights and a display that fails in the rain is another sales pitch that doesn't move my debit card. My bike has no display.
One taillight that works in the rain and has been good for 3 years, is the Garmin Varia radar motion detector. As a hazard warning device it is a complete failure. Wolf! wolf! wolf! wolf! wolf! wolf! wolf! As a tailight it has been very reliable, at a cost of $240. I do have a plastic rainshield over it. No easy way to build one of those over a light that clips to the handlebar.
man your a electronic killer :D I hqad a couple of issues with headlights but for the post part no issues with lights or displays on my bikes. I ride a s*it ton in the rain too. just did 15 miles so far today with another 10 due.

Safer bet is to stay off the roads whenever possible.....and that would include roads where "bike lanes" are separated from traffic by a painted line.
Depends on the road and amount of traffic, as well as that state's bike laws. Here in Wa. state, bikes have been given the same amount of rights and responsibilities as the cars. When there is no bike lane we can use the auto lane. We are never to be on sidewalks, and we also have the right to not come to a full stop at stop signs. We can cruise through after looking both ways. This was put into law a few years back as it takes way too much effort for someone on a analog bike to get going from light to light in a city like Seattle, where there are so many bikers. At traffic lights, we are allowed to also go on through after stopping and looking for traffic. I ride on roads with and without bike lanes. At traffic lights I stay in the auto lane and go right behind the car ahead of me. It works good here. But, still not enough people with lights on the bikes. Day or night.

I need to find light bundles at a great deal like Lidl grocery store had. I would give the light packs to people who didn't have lights for their bikes. The front and rear lights came with batteries as well. In my area there are a lot of lower income bicycle riders and we have a homeless shelter in the general area. Free lights are better than no lights. I finally gave out my last set.
Good on you! You are saving someone from being killed out there.

I wear a bright green neon helmet with a flashing red light in the back, a bright neon green shirt and make sure I turn on my 2 bike headlights and my 3 red reflector lights in the back including 1 on my bike is constant and 2 more that flash. One attached to my Topeak and 1 that is built into my seat-and I ride 95% in the daylight hours. Would not be comfortable riding at night for a variety of reasons.
Nice setup! I see no real reason NOT to be lit up as much as possible when you ride with cars in the busy streets. Now, bike paths is another story. Not needed except at night.

If I were to stay off the road and only ride in bike lanes, I'd never be able to leave my driveway. The bike lanes that are around are just as dangerous as riding on the shoulders. One forces you, if you're going straight, to cross the lane of traffic that is turning right and isn't required to stop. The bike lanes around here are a joke.

Recently, one road they painted some bike symbols on the road to indicate to drivers that bikes can use the entire lane. Problem is, what they painted is now spooking horses. I saw 4 horses in row get spooked and jerk their way around the marks. Much to the surprise of the driver. I've spoken with about a dozen people that have said their horses were spooked by them.

I see plenty of people that have dark or black clothing and no lights and often no reflectors at nigh. sometimes regular cyclists who should know better.
It seems like some people just don't want to be seen out there. Maybe doing things illegal? Why would anyone in their right mind ride a dark bike, in dark clothes, at night with no lights? Just asking to be run down.

If I were to stay off the road and only ride in bike lanes, I'd never be able to leave my driveway. The bike lanes that are around are just as dangerous as riding on the shoulders. One forces you, if you're going straight, to cross the lane of traffic that is turning right and isn't required to stop. The bike lanes around here are a joke.

Recently, one road they painted some bike symbols on the road to indicate to drivers that bikes can use the entire lane. Problem is, what they painted is now spooking horses. I saw 4 horses in row get spooked and jerk their way around the marks. Much to the surprise of the driver. I've spoken with about a dozen people that have said their horses were spooked by them.
For most people, spooking horses is not a real issue as we have very few in the populated areas. I do see some along the bike trails through the woods. Real nice. You're city needs to enforce the bike lane laws better.

I can't understand why so many bikers spend so much for their bikes just to take big chances of being run down on the roads by not spending a small amount to put bright day and night lights on their bikes. I run two super bright Cygolite taillights during day rides, as well as slow flashing front light and a Brightside amber light on the frame for intersections. They can be seen a block away no problem. For night rides I put them on a softer setting. With so many distracted drivers on the road, we have alot of people getting hit by cars, even riding in the bike lanes. I see too many bikes going along that are hard to see. Makes no sense. I know the roadies worry about an extra 6oz. slowing them down but ebikers don't have that problem. As a retired trucker who has seen too many avoidable accidents, I say light em up and stay alive.

Attachments

• MY BIKE 3.jpg
    MY BIKE 3.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 138
For most people, spooking horses is not a real issue as we have very few in the populated areas. I do see some along the bike trails through the woods. Real nice. You're city needs to enforce the bike lane laws better.
Horses around here are very common. I regularly have to pass them on the road same as the cars do. We also have large amount of farm equipment moving around, especially right now while crops are still being harvested. Some of it's being moved by tractor, other by mule teams. Neither are very fast, nor easy to pass whether by car or bike.

We can't even get our PD's to enforce regular traffic laws. They sure as hell ain't gonna enforce bike lane laws, if there are any.

It seems like some people just don't want to be seen out there. Maybe doing things illegal? Why would anyone in their right mind ride a dark bike, in dark clothes, at night with no lights? Just asking to be run down.
yes but I have seen commuters doing it too. whats really bad is when they are on your side of the road at night going the wrong way. I have had a few close calls.

I had modulating lights on my Vespa GTS250. I was amazed to see the difference they made in traffic. Unfortunately, all I have found so far are for 12V systems.
I have 6 bike lights and one on the back of my helmet. They are all USB rechargable. I also added a rearview camera for better rear vision.

Hmm-first time I've ever heard that one. You say bright safety vests etc. are not seen by cars? If someone is behind the wheel and can't see a bright orange or green floresent vest up ahead, they have no business driving. I can see those things a block away! As long as there is a small amount of light out. If not, all the road crews in every state should toss out their safety clothes as nobody can see them. Now, they are designed for daytime use, not night. For nightime, lights are the only real option.
Yes, that's what I'm saying. Those bright clothes, when a bike moves into shadows are very difficult if not impossible to see. I drive a lot of very heavily shaded roads, and those roads are frequented by bikes because they're secondary roads without much traffic on them. When the bikes go into shadow, they're very hard to see from a distance and many times they're not clearly seen until you're almost on top of them. Just wearing bright clothes and relying upon your reflectors is not enough under changing light conditions. A bike's small size and riding along the shoulder in shadow they have a tendency to just blend into the visual clutter that's along the road side.

A couple weeks ago there was a crew stringing cable down many of those roads. The guy that was supposed to be stopping and directing traffic in his bright green vest was standing 20' off the road under a tree. No one saw him until they were beside him. He created a dangerous situation while wearing his safety gear. That crew was a menace to the area they didn't follow any of the safety rules for stopping and directing traffic.

Next time I catch some bikes on Dashcam, I'll post the video.

yes but I have seen commuters doing it too. whats really bad is when they are on your side of the road at night going the wrong way. I have had a few close calls.
I agree. I was very close to a bad bike to ebike wreck a couple days ago on a busy street. I was in the bike lane doing about 20 mph Southbound when all of a sudden some guy flies by me in dark clothes going Northbound in the same bike lane! We were inches apart when he passed. How stupid! My heart jumped. Lol

We continue to get nothing but positive reactions from motorists who pull over and comment that they were impressed while observing our helmet mounted Flare RTs and Cygolite Metros on our bikes a km away.

Easy to see. I use the same Cygolights on mine. I have two of them mounted on each side of the frame and set on day lightning mode. Impossible to miss from a long way off. These have to be the brightest tailights for bikes on the market. Well made and the USB charged battery lasts for many rides. Great lights.

Depends on the road and amount of traffic, as well as that state's bike laws. Here in Wa. state, bikes have been given the same amount of rights and responsibilities as the cars. When there is no bike lane we can use the auto lane. We are never to be on sidewalks, and we also have the right to not come to a full stop at stop signs. We can cruise through after looking both ways. This was put into law a few years back as it takes way too much effort for someone on a analog bike to get going from light to light in a city like Seattle, where there are so many bikers. At traffic lights, we are allowed to also go on through after stopping and looking for traffic. I ride on roads with and without bike lanes. At traffic lights I stay in the auto lane and go right behind the car ahead of me. It works good here. But, still not enough people with lights on the bikes. Day or night.
Might be a lot of reasons for it, but the painted line bike path lane not working out too well in Florida. People/kids getting mowed down every day.... by vehicles coming from behind them.

This has separate bike lanes (that often look a lot like sidewalks) becoming more and more popular with big highway projects/rebuilds. So they see the issue, it's just a matter of getting it done....

That situation is one scenario where I turn the rear light on in daytime.
I find lights have about a 90% failure rate in a year. Rain has killed 3 LED versions, even inside the bag not in use. If not rain, battery leakage. If not that, battery contact corrosion. $60 for a piece of inert plastic offends my sensibilities. As most riders here don't ride in the rain, recommendations on the site don't sell me. I have a 18 months old $60 catseye light that rides in a peanut butter jar in the bag 99% of the time. The one time this summer I tried to use it, after dark, the battery went dead after 70 minutes. Rode to summer camp by starlight. I'm sorry, it takes me 255 minutes to finish my commute sometimes. What did work after dark, my ANSI class 2 construction vest, which is highly reflective in headlights of cars.
Buying a $2500 ebike with integrated lights and a display that fails in the rain is another sales pitch that doesn't move my debit card. My bike has no display.
One taillight that works in the rain and has been good for 3 years, is the Garmin Varia radar motion detector. As a hazard warning device it is a complete failure. Wolf! wolf! wolf! wolf! wolf! wolf! wolf! As a tailight it has been very reliable, at a cost of $240. On flash battery lasts about 6 hours. I do have a plastic rainshield over it. No easy way to build one of those over a light that clips to the handlebar.
Cygolite-$35.00 last time I looked. Waterproof and rechargeable. Long lasting charge and you will be seen a 1/2 mile away. Superbright

Might be a lot of reasons for it, but the painted line bike path lane not working out too well in Florida. People/kids getting mowed down every day.... by vehicles coming from behind them.

This has separate bike lanes (that often look a lot like sidewalks) becoming more and more popular with big highway projects/rebuilds. So they see the issue, it's just a matter of getting it done....
Wow, sorry to hear that. We aren't that bad yet here in Wa. State. It is getting worse though with too many distracted drivers not seeing the bikes right next to them. More reason for more lights. Front back and side, with amber Brightside light. Great yellow usb side flash for intersections and phone texters.

I'm not sure there is sufficient basis to decide bright colors and reflective stuff are ineffective. If its bright outside, shadows are a non issue. If its dark, cars have their lights on and shining at you. If the sun is in a driver's eyes then you are screwed no matter what you try to do so fuggedaboudit.

The Flare RT is one of the best. Mentioned above. Thats a $65 light, but its well designed. The interruptive blink it uses is a big plus.

I threw in for the Knog lights and no regrets. Have them on most of my bikes now. Pretty bright stuff ... and pricey. And notice the reflector (prismatic street sign tape) on the bobtail rack deck.

pxl_20210802_024036308[1].jpg

I do three lights in the back. Two steadies and a blinkie. I've seen how difficult it is to track motion on just a blinkie when riding super early in the morning (i.e. still dark). Steady lights like you find on a car fix that. And the blinkie is still there to do its thing. That Knog Big Cobber above does an eco blip that is something like 200 lumens.

But you don't have to spend big. I used to use three Night Provision lights in back for probably ... three years? At $13 a pop I was amazed at how well they survived rain and crud and whatnot.

As for reflectors... I think I set the world record on that one for the rear. This is a street sign used as a rack floor with the excess bent up so its facing traffic and also serves as a splash guard for my butt. Covered in red prismatic 3M tape. The camera doesn't do it anywhere near justice. Highly reflective at whoever is straight behind me.
img_20181002_073657[1].jpg

And I wear a reflective jacket.

Do everything.

Is that from a very recent ride? Beautiful.
That trip to Jasper National Park was a little over a year ago, I believe. It’s a very scenic ride and well worth the effort when you reach the top. The exhilarating ride back down ain’t too shabby either. We made the trip there again last month but instead cycled the 100km to Medicine and Maligne Lakes and back and then rode up to the Marmot Ski Basin the following day.

After reading Court's review I switched to Cygolites on my Emtb and they are excellent! ALSO....I am constantly surprised at how many cyclists I see without a mirror. To me , mirrors are as important as lights ( since I almost never ride after dark . ) The vast majority of drop bar roadies that I see do not use mirrors ....why not? Are they 5 grams too heavy?

Back