Bicycle Helmets With Lights

Jim1348

I am still using my Troxel equestrian riding helmet on e-bike rides. I figured that it would buy me time until I determined what to buy. That was over a year ago! I have given some thought to buying a bike helmet with lights built in. Are they worthwhile or just a gimmick? My Gazelle has integrated LED lights. I supplement with a Fenix BC30 bike light and a Cygolite Hypershot 350 USB taillight. I even have a Nitecore HC90 headlamp mounted on my helmet.

More (lights) the better: that's my motto. I ride multiple models of Lumos helmets. I also have the Unit 1.
I appreciate the turn-signal functionality in addition to using hand signals.

More (lights) the better: that's my motto. I ride multiple models of Lumos helmets. I also have the Unit 1.
I appreciate the turn-signal functionality in addition to using hand signals.

That makes sense. I have also considered an additional front and rear light.

For the daytime, I am considering a light with a different flash pattern in the daytime. Since I already have a Fenix, I suppose just about any non-Fenix brand would have a different flash pattern. The one that has gotten my attention on the trails this summer is one that goes: FLASH-FLASH-DOUBLE FLASH. I have no idea what brand this was, but it did get my attention on the bike trail!

With the taillights, Cygolite Hypershot 350 has various flash patterns. If I get a second Cygolite Hypershot 350, I could simply select different flash patterns for each one.

The Nitecore HC90 headlamp on my helmet doesn't flash. I need to make sure that the next headlamp I get does offer a flash mode.

Regarding clothing, I know that many go with the high-visibility yellow (green) clothing. I think the blaze orange is more effective. Better, still, would be to wear BOTH!

I also have some LED traffic vests. I haven't worn them, yet, on a bike ride. I simply wear a blaze orange traffic vest over my regular clothing. It does have some reflective strips for low light conditions, too.

You should also consider both flashing and steady lights for both front and rear. I used to wear a reflective orange vest but now just an orange top, yellow socks, and reflective ankle straps.

I use two lights, front and rear.

The bike came with always on front rear lights.

But I also use daylight double flash lights as to be seen front and rear to gain attention.

DG…

My tw0 2016 Radrover ebikes lights don't have a flashing function. I like to add extra battery powered lights that flash during the day. I figured every vehicle has daytime running lights we ignore 99% of the time. Flashing lights still register in our brains for emergency vehicles. I work ebike commute all year and have battery operated lights on my helmet. Vehicle on side streets really can't see my front mounted lights on the other side of parked cars at 5:30am. They can see my helmet mounted front/rear lights because I sit so high in the saddle. I can turn my head towards them to alert the vehicle and they don't run a stop sign (happened a few times before I added the helmet lights). I also added a LED light under my seat for extra side illumination.

NiteRider Pro 3500 Enduro, Light & Motion vis 180, and Brightz GoBrightz LED bike frame lights
side light.jpg

NiteRider Pro 2200 (2014 version) & Light & Motion vis 180 zip-tie to rear
Bike Helmet.jpg

Last edited:
A helmet with built-in light has the same disadvantage as other multi-function stuff: if the helmet gets damaged the light becomes pretty much useless, and if the light stops working the helmet is no longer what it should be. Sort of like buying a CD/VCR combo machine in the old days, or a coffee brewer with built-in bean grinder. Plus you might have to compromise on the quality/features of either the light or the helmet since the combo choices are more limited. Personally, I like to keep separate components.

BTW, for a flashlight or headlamp with a bike flash mode, look for any that run the Anduril (preferably Anduril 2) user interface. The UI will let you set the type and brightness of the flash. Quite a few brands use this open-source UI software.

Last edited:
I use both, helmet and bar mounted lights, sometimes one or the other.
It would be nice if all bike lights came standard with GoPro feet. That and a quick release buckle and mount system on the handlebar and helmet will make mounting your lights on either, a snap. At least some bike helmets use GoPro inserts or have these low profile mounts permanently attached on top of helmets (with both a screw and 3M adhesive). No mounting straps on the helmet. I use one of those helmets, and the bars on my bikes all have GoPro mounts as well so I can use any of my lights on either my helmet or on the handlebar.
IMG_7466.jpeg

I use both, helmet and bar mounted lights, sometimes one or the other.
It would be nice if all bike lights came standard with GoPro feet. That and a quick release buckle and mount system on the handlebar and helmet will make mounting your lights on either, a snap. At least some bike helmets use GoPro inserts or have these low profile mounts permanently attached on top of helmets (with both a screw and 3M adhesive). No mounting straps on the helmet. I use one of those helmets, and the bars on my bikes all have GoPro mounts as well so I can use any of my lights on either my helmet or on the handlebar.View attachment 170880
Most front facing helmet lights that I see folks using are attached to some form of mount/adapter. I don’t have anything against helmets with proprietary lighting/mounts such as ones from Smith and Bontrager but I simply prefer having my own helmet as well as my own choice of light that is tasked for a specific purpose as some lights don't have GoPro fittings. For my mtb and winter trail helmets, I use the GoPro vented strap mount that provides a surprisingly tight fit against the outer helmet shell when cinched down on neither side. I prefer not to use the adhesive mounts that are provided. The only issue with the vented strap mount that I can see is finding an appropriate location on your helmet if it has a limited number of vents. The GP mount itself clips in easily but requires a bit of finesse removing it from the base.

PXL_20240207_000010499.jpg

IMG_20221204_1553416.jpg

Not quite as low profile as the official GoPro helmet mount is the Ulanzi Go Quick 2 adapter which utilizes the same GoPro style clip but is easier to remove as it simply twists off from it’s magnetic base. You could even attach the same Ulanzi QR mount with light to a GoPro handlebar/seatpost mount if you so wish.

1707277281503.png

While we’re on the road, my wife and I attach compact Bontrager RT Flare rear flashers to the backs of our road helmets using the stock rubber tie down and mount that came with it.

1707283770235.png

It emits a focused flash and has a visible range of around 2km. We’ve had people drive by and tell us how they can see the lights from afar. The battery life is a bit disappointing but we will continue to use them until they die.

At the time of this photo, we were also using Cygolite Hotshots attached to either the seat posts or stays. We still occasionally use the Cygolites but now rely mainly on our Varia radar taillights.

Mt. Edith Cavell - frame at 3m21s.jpg

I finally got a new helmet and added lights to it. The lights are crazy bright! The lights are the same as Prairie Dog uses and the Wavecel helmet has strong magnetic mounts for lights (the ones i bought) or camera mount. Not a "cool" helmet like my Cats In Space Nutcase helmet but this one has better venting and, most importantly, better safety rating.

Attachments

• 20240211_191317.jpg
    20240211_191317.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 20240211_191257.jpg
    20240211_191257.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 20240211_191247.jpg
    20240211_191247.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 37
I finally got a new helmet and added lights to it. The lights are crazy bright! The lights are the same as Prairie Dog uses and the Wavecel helmet has strong magnetic mounts for lights (the ones i bought) or camera mount. Not a "cool" helmet like my Cats In Space Nutcase helmet but this one has better venting and, most importantly, better safety rating.
Nice lid Sc00ter. I still have the older MIPS version of the Circuit without the WaveCel tech and found that the magnetic mounts came in quite handy. I wear a different helmet now but still have the Flare attached to the back of it.

Never seen a helmet with a good headlight, but it's usually easy enough to add one. Power needs really depend on where and how fast you ride. Weight is also a consideration as your helmet might have the tendency to dance around if you add too much. I'm a Cygolite fan personally - feel they have the best beam pattern and indicator LEDs are appropriate for night use. I have a few Niteriders as well, but the indicator LEDs are too bright and shine up in your face on the bars - not sure what they were thinking there...they use spot beam too, which might be useful for some applications (helmet comes to mind).

Either way, mounts are available for helmets, bars, etc so you can switch back and forth if need be. Having several lights in the same ecosystem is handy like that.

Back