It all comes down to risk assessment at an individual and situational level, imho. When I cycle around home, to a neighbor or whatever, at walking or jogging speed, I sometimes don't wear a helmet at all. When I commute at 25-28 mph, the potential outcome of a crash is something else. And it surprises me that there still seems to be essentially no helmets with chin guard on the market that are not aimed very clearly, designwise, towards downhill/offroad.

And it surprises me that there are still essentially no helmets with chin guard on the market that are not aimed, designwise, towards downhill/offroad.
Take it or leave it.

45 km/h legal S-Pedelecs are pretty rare in Europe (I ride one). Does the law of your country require wearing a "motorcycle helmet" or just a "helmet" while riding a moped?
1678427635756.png

The 2021 photo of me wearing the Bell helmet on my fast urban ride with traffic. I have to admit the drivers were treating me seriously when they could see a cyclist wearing a full-face helmet :)

Take it or leave it.
Yeah well, one can always wish. I was hoping that market demands would have impacted but apparently not.
45 km/h legal S-Pedelecs are pretty rare in Europe (I ride one). Does the law of your country require wearing a "motorcycle helmet" or just a "helmet" while riding a moped?
For mopeds and motorcycles the requirement is ECE22.05 or later revision. For bicycles there is no legal requirement passed age 15.

You can avoid the storm trooper look by taking the visor off. I tried it with my fox rampage. The downside, the sun kept shining in my eyes. I ride from 2-6 pm typically, right into the sun on the way back from the grocery or from my summer property. I put the visor back and decide I don't care how I look. I do care about hitting my chin on the road, 5 times since 2007.
I do care about vents, I ride to pant, and hard exercise causes sweat. Being 1/3 native-american I don't sweat under my arms. I sweat on top of my head, and on my lower back. My rampage helmet has plenty of vents. I wrap some in saran wrap in the cold days in winter.

Back