Light e-bike?

Tlogan6680

I had my rotator cuff (shoulder ) rebuilt and I need a light bike, 45 lbs or less to be able to lift onto bike rack on car. Any suggestions? Thanks

I had my rotator cuff (shoulder ) rebuilt and I need a light bike, 45 lbs or less to be able to lift onto bike rack on car. Any suggestions? Thanks

If you have a nice bike, you can add the Bionx eBike kit.. Only weighs 16 lbs.. Or go on craigslist and buy a good quality used steel or aluminum bike..And I think you can remove the battery to lighten when you lift it.

http://www.nycewheels.com

Usually the light ebikes are more expensive and I am not sure about your budget but I second building your own. Get a good quality aluminum mountain bike with steel forks (and torque arms), add a decent front or rear hub kit and you can keep it under 50lbs. If budget is not an issue, Prodeco makes a $4999 Titanio with 29 inch wheels and only a 31lb weight https://www.prodecotech.com/electric-bikes/titanio-29er/

One of your options is to configure your rack solution so that you are not lifting an ebike but rolling your ebike into the rack. There's only 1 product out there right now I'm aware of that includes a skinny ramp for loading an ebike into place (a Thule model), but there's no reason you couldn't find or build your own ramp and then be able to use any rack you find acceptable to holding your ebike.

If you take away the need to lift an ebike onto a rack in the first place then you take away the need to find an ebike under 45 lbs. And not having to lift any bike would have your shoulder thanking you daily.

I have a 45 lb Neo Carbon for sale. See sale section and I'll make you a deal. Practically brand new.

+1 for Poweme, I wouldn't mind selling my Saris so i could buy the Thule w/the ramp. This way for you any most any bike would work. As it stands now I can get help at home but when I get somewhere I have to ask for help or just ride from home.

+1 for Poweme, I wouldn't mind selling my Saris so i could buy the Thule w/the ramp. This way for you any most any bike would work. As it stands now I can get help at home but when I get somewhere I have to ask for help or just ride from home.

@opimax --Will the Saris hold a 50+lb ebike ok? I am looking for a rack to hold my eBike on the back of my 2001 Ford Taurus. It weighs about 53lbs. I have been contemplating adding a hitch mount and rack.

I have one model back model Saris Pro I think it is called , it will hold 2 60 lbs bikes, it is 1 1/4" hitch I have the City Kits on the bikes and they do not interfere w/the clamping mechanism. The only issue is I want is the ramp. I have gone for DC to Tampa and back carrying the Stromers. I leave it my Baja 24/7 so if i have an issue someone can get my truck and pick me up, it has been known to happen, thank you my wonderful wife. I can pick the bikes up pretty easily but then my back says I shouldn't have and hurts. Check their website for add'l info :)

You might not need a 45 lbs ebike, perhaps you can use an ebike that weights 50 with a 5 lbs removable battery. That really widens your net. Many bikes will fit this bill. The advanced search on this site can choose by weight, you need to select MORE FILTERS at the bottom of the advanced search. Also, advanced search does not work in chrome.

If not, A quick search by < 45lbs and $<$3000 produced EZ Motion Neo Race.

Another thing to consider is that if you bike rack is low enough, the bike can be pivoted onto the rack. First one wheel is put on the rack and then the other. This way the weight of the bike being lifted at one time is reduced.

Back