Recommendation for ebike for commute on mountain trails

JazS

Region
USA
Would love to get recommendations on what to look for in and any model recommendations. I would like the bike to less than ~ 45 lbs, so it isnt a chore to get into the office. Specialized Tero 3 seemed to fit the bill, but i cant find the small size anywhere. Any alternatives to the Tero3? (Tero, 4, 5, 6 all look like are much heavier)

Last edited:
> Tero3? (Tero, 4, 5, 6 all look like are much heavier)

The hardtail 3 and the higher SKUs 4, 5 are all similar in weight except for minor accessories. The full suspension Tero X 4, 5, and 6 SKUs are heavier.

If you are really going over mountainous terrain and want something light you should look at Turbo Levo SL

If you are really going over mountainous terrain and want something light you should look at Turbo Levo SL
A Levo SL:
  • Has a low motor power, requiring more effort from the rider (think in the terms of coming to work sweaty or dry)
  • Is slow (and the commute requires a good speed)
  • Cannot be equipped (so the rider can only carry the work items in a backpack)
I would say a Tero 4.0 would be the best combination of the motor power and the battery capacity in the relation to the price. It is not much heavier than a Tero 3.0 (I do agree Tero X ebikes are a way heavier).

It is often overlooked it is not an e-bike alone but it is the total system weight (rider + e-bike + cargo) that matters. The weight difference between a lightweight and a heavier Specialized e-bike in the practical terms means a 10-20% weight difference for the total system weight. It is easily offset with a powerful motor of an e-bike such as Tero 4.0.

Jaz: If you can buy a Tero 4.0 in your size - go for it!

Some questions to consider:
  • What ebikes are actually allowed on the trails you intend to commute on? "Trails" can encompass everything from gravel/cinder roads all the way to actual mountainbike singletrack. Mountainbike trails tend to be the most restrictive around when it comes to ebike access (many don't allow ebikes at all, and the ones that do very often limit them to class 1). You should probably make sure you know whats allowed and consider shopping for something legal. It would suck to spend thousands on your fancy new bike and then get told you can't ride it on the trails you bought it for.
  • Have you visited dealers near you to get a feel for what they sell and how you like them? Have you test ridden anything? I get the impression you're inexperienced, so a good dealer is going to make the bike ownership experience much better. Generally they will offer free tuneups, and will handle any issues that come up with the bike (warranty or not). Specialized generally has a good dealer network but thats still going to vary. Don't fall into the trap of shopping bike specs online and purchasing something from a dealer 100 miles away who doesn't care to support the bike, especially if you're a new rider.
  • Tying into above, its really nice if you're able to test ride bikes to get a feel for how they fit, because this varies a lot.
  • Do you intend to carry stuff with you, and if so, how much and how do you intend to carry it? The obvious choice is a rear rack with some sort of bag (trunk bag or panniers or both). Some people commute with a backpack. If you want a rack, make sure the bike can take one without kludging it and it can handle the weight and rough terrain. Make sure you budget for it too, because a quality rack and bags can be pricey.

Finding an ebike built for mountain trails weighing less than 45 lbs could be a challenge. The Turbo Levo is great, but still weighs 52 lbs. How "bumpy" are these mtn roads/ trails? To me, suspension is important. I have a new full suspension bike, and, while it weighs more, smoothing out the bumps, potholes, tree roots, rocks, etc, more than make up for the added weight.

Would love to get recommendations on what to look for in and any model recommendations. I would like the bike to less than ~ 45 lbs, so it isnt a chore to get into the office. Specialized Tero 3 seemed to fit the bill, but i cant find the small size anywhere. Any alternatives to the Tero3? (Tero, 4, 5, 6 all look like are much heavier)
49 lbs, powerful w/throttle if needed, quality parts

Black lightning comes in large & extra large frame. Only. OP needed a small frame. Geared hub motor is probably safe for maximum rise of 900' in an hour.

Last edited:
Black lightning comes in large & extra large frame. Only. Geared hub motor is probably safe for maximum rise of 900' in an hour.
Looks like a cool bike, but, unless she's taller than the average female, even the smaller of the available frames says for riders 5'7" and above. The weight would also be dependent on customizations chosen (or not). It's nice that it's customizable, but the ones I'd choose would push it closer to 70 lbs. Still, cool looking/ sounding bike.

Black lightning comes in large & extra large frame. Only. Geared hub motor is probably safe for maximum rise of 900' in an hour.

Looks like a cool bike, but, unless she's taller than the average female, even the smaller of the available frames says for riders 5'7" and above. The weight would also be dependent on customizations chosen (or not). It's nice that it's customizable, but the ones I'd choose would push it closer to 70 lbs. Still, cool looking/ sounding bike.
They said they offer smaller tires and shorter stem for shorter riders. Just throwing out an lightweight alternative that will get you to work with little or as much work as you want. As far as the hub up hills im no expert. I never know the grades or how long, but North West Ga is pretty hilly. I have a m2s750w hub and uc pro bafang ultra. I've never had a hill either couldn't conquer and have never encountered overheating, but I pedal.

Back